Bus 52 Presents: Fore Hope
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 14, 2012
For some, golf is a passion, for others it seems, as the saying goes, a good walk ruined, but rarely is it considered to be a means of therapeutic exercise. For years, Fore Hope has been helping people struck by illness or injury play golf, whether or not they've ever played before.
Fore Hope is "a therapeutic golf program to enhance quality of life for persons with disabilities, injuries, or illnesses," explains Mindy Derr, the organization's Founder and Executive Director.
Derr says that, "Our participants are here in Central Ohio and they come from referrals from hospitals, support groups, stroke support groups, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, they are people of all ages."
Inspired by her father -- who became disabled very soon after retiring in the early 1980s -- and his love of golf, Fore Hope shows people that no matter whether they have an injury, a disability, or have had a stroke, the game of golf is a wonderful way to rehabilitate and socialize.
Derr founded Fore Hope in 1989 and after first having success in Northern Ohio, on the banks of Lake Erie, she decided to move the nonprofit down to Central Ohio, based in Columbus, "where we could serve more people and raise more dollars," she explains.
When asked why she chose golf as a basis, Derr says, "Why not golf? Because golf is most amenable to people of all challenges in life socially, cognitively, physically and just by activity alone, and being outside, you improve one's life."
"As a lover of golf and growing up with a family history, first of all, it's in our DNA, and there's no way I could ever walk away from the game, it's just in our blood. And it's just the best sport that there is. It challenges you as an individual and also I think as a team."
Fore Hope's activities include a weekly league where, one-on-one, volunteers accompany the participants while they play a few holes. They are also accompanied by a golf pro and a recreational therapist who make sure to keep their golf game and therapy at the highest levels.
In the summer, they have sessions on the driving range, which switch to an indoor facility in the winter so people are able to continue practicing year-round, and they also run clinics in local nursing homes and hospitals.
Much of Fore Hope's success is due to its team of volunteers who go our each week during the leagues or who help out at the practices and clinics. They are also partnered with local golf courses that allow them to use their facilities and courses for league days.
Read more .... http://web.bus52.com/profiles/fore-hope/
Standard YouTube License
- 3:30 Bus 52 Presents: Foster Grandparent Program of Northern Nevadaby Bus52videos1,728 views
- 5:13 Bus 52 Presents: Art Feedsby Bus52videos919 views
- 4:31 Bus 52 Presents: Full Cycleby Bus52videos955 views
- 4:41 Bus 52 Presents: Hannah's Socksby Bus52videos785 views
- 53:39 Tackling the Medicaid Monsterby Alfred Smith677 views
- 9:29 Work At Home Business Opportunity: MAYBE EVEN For People With Disabilities.by wahomyeas742 views
- 7:32 Breaking barriers: Letting people with disabilities into the labour marketby ILOTV499 views
- 6:33 ASAN-Central Ohio Protest Against Autism Speaks, Columbus, Ohioby kuiamalynne1,888 views
- 7:11 IF We Can Help - Innovation Institute - Helping & Training Handicapped People In Wheelchairsby M0DiFiEDZ1,905 views
- 6:11 Bus Driver Uppercuts Female Passenger (Video)by The Young Turks5,478,830 views
- 18:38 A brighter future than past: Frederick Ndabaramiye at TEDxColumbusby TEDxTalks1,022 views
- 3:31 Merry Korn - 2010 Visionary Finalistby NAWBO Columbus Ohio443 views
- 11:01 Tayo - S1_Tayo_12 Let's Be Friendsby Tayo5,375,627 views
- 1:37 Add - LEARNINGby AddMakesItHappen154 views
- 2:29 People with disabilities continue protest at HSE cuts to PA services overnight at Governmentby TradeUnionTVIreland993 views
- 5:34 Living. For the physically disabled.by CreativeLivingInc10,603 views
- 2:02 Autism - Lettuce Workby LettuceWork2,235 views
- 11:01 Tayo - S1_EP01 A Day in the Life of Tayoby Tayo4,877,571 views
- 16:28 Work From Home Ideas / Jobs - 60 Seconds Profits !!by Joan Martinez271,102 views
- 2:40 Stuff Golfers Sayby UDgolferproblems567 views
- Loading more suggestions...