TEDxConejo - Dr. Irving K. Loh - How Do Doctors Know...?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 15, 2012
The role of Clinical Trials in Medical Advances. Irving Kent Loh MD FACC FAHA FCCP FACP Ventura Heart Institute
Dr. Loh is a board certified internist and subspecialty board certified cardiac specialist with an emphasis on preventive cardiology. He founded and directs the Ventura Heart Institute, which conducts edu- cation, research and preventive cardiovascular programs. Dr. Loh is a former Assistant Professor of Medicine at UCLA School of Medi- cine and former Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at UC Irvine. Dr. Loh received his MD from UC San Francisco, where he also did his Internal Medicine Residency. His initial lipid research was at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in both intramural (Molecular Diseases/Lipid Metabo- lism Branch) and extramural (Cardiac Diseases Branch; Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases) divisions. He then was faculty in both Departments of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery at Cedars-Sinai.
He has been a member of Amgen's Institutional BioSafety Committee, the State of California Department of Health Services Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Coalition, the Manuscript Review Board and Ad Hoc Editor for the Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, the Expert Panel on Outcomes Evaluation and Research for the American Heart Association, and an advisor to the Advisory Board Company/Cardiology Preeminence Roundtable based in Washington DC. Dr. Loh served as an Executive Steering Committee member of the West Lipid Association Board of Directors. He is the principal investigator for cardiovascular trials for Westlake Medical Re- search, consultant physician to the Ventura County Health Care Agency on cardiovascular dis- ease management and development of clinical research programs. He is a charter member of Lipidologists of Los Angeles and a member of the Medical Advisory Board for DoximityTM. Since 1987 he has developed and continually refined an patient care electronic health record program with integrated quality of care reporting.
In 1993, Dr. Loh was appointed to two White House Briefing Teams for the President's healthcare reform proposal and served on the Executive Steering Committee of the National Health Policy Council, a bipartisan non-profit foundation chaired by Sen. Jay Rockefeller IV. He was a national surrogate speaker for the White House on health care reform.
Dr. Loh has published in the medical literature, provided articles, op-eds and interviews for magazines, newspapers, radio, television, and a column (Second Opinion) for the Star newspapers. He lectures on cardiovascular risk reduction and integrated disease management strategies for the primary and secondary prevention of heart disease (heart failure, dyslipidemias, hypertension), medical information technology to optimize quality and outcome (including presentations at UC Berkeley and Harvard Schools of Public Health) and healthcare reform. He has delivered over 350 lectures, keynotes, presentations, abstracts and webcasts. He has been a principal investigator on over 130 clinical trials in cardiovascular therapeutics.
About TEDxConejo 2012
Now in its 3rd year and produced in association with the Conejo Valley Unified School District, TEDxConejo is developing into an exciting community of thinkers, and doers, interested and interesting people of all ages and backgrounds. Each year hundreds gather for a day of stimulating short talks and engaging discussion. The program is as diverse as the interests of the audience.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxConejo, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxConejo event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized. For more information, visit ted.com/tedx.
- 16:32 TEDxYYC - Dr. Megan McElheran - Trauma Change Resilienceby TEDxTalks10,103 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks732,268 views
- 18:00 Loving your lady parts as a path to success, power & global change: Alisa Vitti at TEDxFiDiWomenby TEDxTalks291,926 views
- 9:22 Plant Based Nutrition: Julieanna Hever at TEDxConejo 2012by TEDxTalks70,318 views
- 18:42 TEDxPortsmouth - Dr. Alan Watkins - Being Brilliant Every Single Day (Part 1)by TEDxTalks265,962 views
- 21:55 TEDxOrlando - Jessi Arrington - Settings for Creativityby TEDxTalks1,794 views
- 17:59 Plant-strong & healthy living: Rip Esselstyn at TEDxFremontby TEDxTalks173,050 views
- 21:25 TEDxRainier - Rick Steves: The Value of Travelby TEDxTalks69,762 views
- 14:45 Shall We Talk?: Wujing Wang at TEDxSLCby TEDxTalks3,408 views
- 11:32 Self-Made This Way?: Emily Lim Rogers at TEDxSLCby TEDxTalks1,056 views
- 9:41 Health care is more than just policy: Rayden Llano at TEDxStanfordby TEDxTalks3,081 views
- 15:07 TEDxOrlando - Daniel Karslake - Every Three Secondsby TEDxTalks3,539 views
- 17:39 TEDxMindStreamAcademy - Dr. Howard Rankin - How Balancing Your Brain Balances Youby TEDxTalks1,380 views
- 16:06 The Ps of Peak Performance: Sarah Fenwick at TEDxPortsmouthby TEDxTalks1,750 views
- 14:27 TEDxManitoba - Matt Henderson: Teaching Ourselves to Last Foreverby TEDxTalks2,188 views
- 9:25 Fundamental Diseases: Nick Sireau at TEDxImperialCollegeby TEDxTalks1,447 views
- 19:16 Targeted Cancer Therapy: Dr. Ehsan Sarafraz-Yazdi at TEDxConnecticutCollegeby TEDxTalks2,551 views
- 12:19 TEDxRainier - Adnan Mahmud - Climbing the Ladder that Mattersby TEDxTalks5,523 views
- 13:32 Books of the future: Ken Hiltner at TEDxUCSBby TEDxTalks801 views
- 10:16 TEDxMaastricht - Dancing Doctorsby TEDxTalks816 views