Tangsuyuk (Crunchy beef with sweet sour sauce)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 18, 2008
Here's my recipe for sweet and sour beef. You can use pork if you prefer it. The full recipe is here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipes/tangs...
600 grams (1.3 Lb) of beef, starch powder (2 cups and 2 tbs), vegetable oil, egg, Turbinado sugar1 cup (brown or white sugar is ok too), salt, ground black pepper, 3 tbs vinegar, apple, pineapple, 5-7 wood ear mushrooms, onion, cucumber, carrot, and water
1. Soak ¼ cup of dried wood ear mushrooms in warm water (about 5-7 mushrooms) for a few hours.
2. To make the coating batter, mix 2 cups of starch powder (either corn starch or potato starch) with water (about 3 cups) and let it sit for a few hours until the starch sinks in the bowl. Then remove the water by pouring it into the sink. *tip: after draining the water, the starch will be solid and stiff.
3. Cut beef into thin strips (5 cm long, 1 cm thick, 1 cm wide) and put it in a bowl.
4. Add ½ ts salt and ½ ts ground black pepper to the beef and mix it well with your hand. Set it aside.
5. Add the beef strips to the starch, and 1 egg white (or yolk) and mix it well with your hand.
6. Heat vegetable oil in your wok and fry the beef strips for about 5 minutes until they look golden brown and crispy.
It's very important to coat the beef strips with as much starch batter as you can. Try to use all of it. Then put the fried crispy beef strips into a strainer. *tip: the beef strips should feel crispy through your tongs as you handle them
let's make delicious sauce!
1. Slice ¼ medium size onion.
2. Slice 1 or 2 apples (you can replace apples with plums).
3. Slice carrot and cucumber thinly (several slices are needed).
4. Drain the soaked wood ear mushrooms and cut them into bite sized bits.
5. Cut some pineapple into chunks.
6. Put 1/2 tbs of vegetable oil on a heated pan. Add the sliced onion and stir it up.
7. Add wood ear mushrooms, sliced carrot to the pan. Stir it for 1 minute.
8. Pour 2 cups of water into the pan and boil it.
9. When the sauce boils, add 1 ts salt, 1 ts soy sauce, 1 cup brown sugar and stir it well.
10. Add 3-4 tbs vinegar and water starch (mixture of 2 tbs starch and 2 tbs water).
11. Add pineapple chunks and sliced cucumber to the pan.
12. Your sauce will look like light jelly but it will also be sizzling. Be sure to put a few drops of sesame oil in at the last minute!
Now you made your fried beef strips and sauce! If you're waiting for your family or guests, just take a break and do the next steps just before serving.
Ok, it's time for you to serve it now
1. Reheat the oil and fry the beef strips again, until each strip becomes very crispy.
2. Put the fried beef on a large platter
3. Reheat the sauce for a minute and pour it on top of the beef strips.
4. Serve it hot with dipping sauce (mix 2 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs vinegar)
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Secret" on
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
- 8:45 Korean spicy seafood noodle soup (jjampong:짬뽕)by Maangchi Featured 319,062
- 10:34 Spicy braised chicken (dakbokkeumtang: 닭볶음탕)by Maangchi179,731 views
- 6:50 Spicy fish soup (maeuntang)by Maangchi177,786 views
- 6:35 Chicken and rice porridge (dakjuk: 닭죽)by Maangchi171,557 views
- 8:44 스페샬 차이나_파인애플 탕수육 1by leekumkeekitchen6,402 views
- 12:02 Rainbow rice cake ("mujigaeddeok":무지개떡)by Maangchi514,250 views
- 5:20 Korean Food: Beef Short Rib Jjim (소갈비 찜)by Aeri's Kitchen53,880 views
- 10:17 Sujebi (hand-torn noodle soup:수제비)by Maangchi260,235 views
- 9:36 Kimchi pancakes (kimchijeon: 김치전)by Maangchi244,166 views
- 8:03 Sweet pancakes (hoddeok:호떡)by Maangchi372,976 views
- 9:22 Kimbapby Maangchi395,095 views
- 4:45 Betty's Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipeby Betty's Kitchen217,360 views
- 7:11 Beef short ribs (galbijjim:갈비찜)by Maangchi138,731 views
- 7:15 Korean fried chicken recipeby Maangchi1,822,403 views
- 6:06 Rice cake soup (떡국)by Maangchi113,729 views
- 9:12 Korean beef barbecue ("LA Galbi": 갈비)by Maangchi440,043 views
- 10:44 Korean grilled pork belly BBQ ("samgyeopsal":삼겹살)by Maangchi324,770 views
- 8:39 Triangle kimbap (samgak kimbap:삼각김밥)by Maangchi146,079 views
- 6:08 Soybean sprout soup (kongnamulguk:콩나물국)by Maangchi99,162 views
- 10:10 Cooking bulgogi and bulgogi stewby Maangchi263,633 views
- Loading more suggestions...