Freedom Of Information Event - Edinburgh 11/07/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 12, 2012
Everyone has a legal right to see information from Scottish public authorities. You don't have to say who you are or why you want the information. And if the public authority refuses to give it to you, they must tell you why, and the Information Commissioner can overrule them.
But how does Freedom of Information legislation work? How can you craft a request for information so it's most likely to be answered?
What can you do if your request is turned down? How can you make FOI work best for you, your clients or the people you serve?
Rob Edwards, a freelance journalist specialising in environmental issues for more than 25 years. His work has appeared in New Statesman, The Observer, The Mail, The Sunday Times, Scotland on Sunday, The Scotsman, The Glasgow Herald, the Edinburgh Evening News and others. Since 1999 he has been the environment editor of the Sunday Herald and a correspondent for New Scientist and The Guardian.
Gavin Sheridan, a data journalist and right to information advocate from Ireland. He is Innovation Director at social news agency Storyful, based in Dublin. He also is co-founder of thestory.ie, a website dedicated to the systematic procuring and publishing of Irish government documents and data. He has trained journalists from several eastern European countries on access to information strategies and data journalism techniques. He helped found KildareStreet.com, the Irish parliamentary informatics website, built using MySociety software.'
Sarah Hutchinson, who is Head of Policy and Information at the Scottish Information Commissioner. She heads up the Policy and Information Team, which is responsible for developing the organisation's external communications on all freedom of information issues, for press and media relations, managing the enquiries service and publication schemes approval process. Sarah also advises the Commissioner on a variety of policy related issues, whilst liaising with senior officials in public bodies and their policy and legal advisers.
Hosted by the Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation and SCENE
- 20:38 Bawal ang Pasaway: Christmas eve with Sen. Meeryam Defensive Defenderby GMA News4,670 views
- 3:06 MEDIA FREEDOM 32 JOURNALISTS AURITY AGENCIES IN SIX MONTHSby NBSTVUGANDA80 views
- 6:03 Times and Sunday Times data journalismby Megan Lucero64 views
- 0:07 Government Could Make it Legal to Lie About Existence of Records under FOIA Rule Proposalby skybirdbird121 views
- 42:43 Haunted Edinburgh - Paranormal History Channel Documentaryby Documentaries2432,751 views
- 54:25 Ethics in Georgia's Sunshine Lawby Nydia Tisdale67 views
- 54:32 Freedom of information laws by countryby Cornell Godwin1 view
- 42:10 Cities of the Underworld: Edinburghby arthurloach14,384 views
- 35:13 Synthetic plant products for industry - Rob Edwardsby NewPhytologist253 views
- 9:37 Government officials and freedom of information advocates talk about the FOI billby Pcij Dotorg1,104 views
- 7:40 WINNIE MONSOD ON DIVORCE BILL: ANNULMENT COSTING UP TO P250,000by PINASISM611,465 views
- 26:57 Failon Ngayon Ep April 20, 2013by Jet Ziganay4,769 views
- 10:26 1 OF 2 MIKEY ARROYO ON MEDIA SUICIDE WITH IGAN & WINNIE MONSOD - HOW DO YOU EARN MILLIONS?by pinaswatcher287,220 views
- 2:25 Freedom of Information Legislation 101: An Introduction for Librariansby FOIEducation86 views
- 6:44 WINNIE MONSOD ON FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT "IN TAGALOG" ANG SUSI SA PAG-EXPOSE NG KURAPSYON!by pinaswatcher53,443 views
- 13:46 Calling time on the Big Society: Gerry Hassan at Lunchworksby Reason Digital852 views
- 5:56 CONLEY PONDERS SUNSHINE LAW VIOLATION SUITby tramol103 views
- 7:05 Discussing new Freedom of Information legislationby Stephen Donnelly55 views
- 8:37 WELCOME TO EDINBURGHby EdinburghVideoGuide36,627 views
- 1:32 You Be The Press Informational Eventby David Angell98 views
- Loading more suggestions...