Is Ethiopia at dangerous crossroads?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2012
Ethnic rivalries could be a source of instability. Meles Zenawi Asres was a Tigrayan, a group that accounts for 6% of the population but that came to dominate the political establishment under him.
The Amhara ethnic group traditionally ruled the country and is likely to lobby for one of their ruling party members to take over.
The death of the strongman raises questions about Ethiopia's influence over other neighbors. Adekeye Adebajo, executive director of the Centre for Conflict Resolution in South Africa, said:
"If a new government decides it has to focus internally, that could affect what happens in the region. If there is a weaker, less confident leader, it may mean Ethiopia is not so confident in playing that foreign policy role. That could have a direct impact on security in the Horn of Africa."
Domestic instability was "absolutely" possible, Adebajo said. "Meles's deputy is seen as quite competent and substantial but nobody has the same clout to keep the complicated coalition together.
Meles has always been seen as one of the most thoughtful leaders we produced as a continent. There will be a vacuum. They're in uncharted waters and it will take a while before we see what emerges."
Meles built one of the strongest armies on the continent, and it saw action in Somalia and Sudan with mixed results. In 1998 he went to war against neighboring Eritrea, costing tens of thousands of lives, and his demise creates fresh uncertainty among the sworn enemies.
When the Ethiopian military wanted to march all the way to the Eritrean capital, it was Meles who stopped them, Dowden said. "There was a crucial moment when Meles sacked hundreds of officers because they didn't like the settlement with Eritrea. I wonder now whether that might bubble up again, because it's never been settled."
Watch this video on our website: http://www.presstv.com/Program/259959...
Standard YouTube License
- 17:42 "SAWA Is Hell" True Story!by YerhewoERI09 Featured 20,065
- 24:23 Why the US establishing military bases in Africa?-Africa Today-06-26-2012by PressTVGlobalNews6,340 views
- 25:06 Africa Black Star (II) -- Press TV Documentaryby PressTVGlobalNews1,177 views
- 2:46 'They fly, they spy and they kill'by PressTVGlobalNews1,195 views
- 2:28 Thai government boosts trade relations with Iranby PressTVGlobalNews850 views
- 1:38:43 Voice of Assenna Interview with PM Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia - Feb 25, 2011by Aseye Asena14,755 views
- 25:11 Talk to Al Jazeera - Can Ethiopia and Eritrea finally find peace?by NewsVideoNetwork20,476 views
- 3:10:43 [Must Watch] The Evil Tyrant Melese Zenawi FULL 3 hours Documentaryby Nitro Ethiopians23,581 views
- 3:18 Best Speech of Mengistu Hailemariamby Liya Tesema121,214 views
- 1:49:11 Subcommittee Hearing: Ethiopia After Meles: The Future of Democracy and Human Rights (Edited)by ዬፍታሄ ንጉሤ4,449 views
- 24:02 Meles Zenawi on Povertyby Ethiopian TV58,414 views
- 45:56 Dr. Eleni Gebremedhin Speaks about PM Meles Zenawiby Kamesamy79,789 views
- 3:25 Meles Zenawi :- The Truth, Lie and Deception!by DendenSeattle162,022 views
- 15:21 ETV Interview: Ethiopian Army Female Paratroopers!by ZekuEtyopia30,452 views
- 9:42 Al Jazeera - Meles Zenawi's -Interview-On Eritrea,Nov.22-07by ybayoyo25,128 views
- 16:25 Prime Minster Meles answers to the questions of Eritrean Journalistsby kalle Hezb6,473 views
- 1:06 meles zenawi daughter about Ato ledetuby bang gon57,170 views
- 58:10 Eritrea - Eritrean Leaders Admit Ethiopia Defeated Eritreaby Kamesamy48,871 views
- 2:26 J.S.W. - Eritrea 2011by bookofjonathan630,649 views
- 11:09 Talk to Al Jazeera - Eritrean President Isaias Afewerkiby ConspicuousM28,357 views
- Loading more suggestions...