Matt Ridley on The Rational Optimist & "Ideas Having Sex"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 15, 2010
Best-selling science writer Matt Ridley's latest book is The Rational Optimist, which explains why the author is upbeat on the prospects of a planet and a civilization that seems to lurch from one pending political, economic, or environmental catastrophe to another.
Doomsayers have it all wrong, writes Ridley, who argues that prosperity and innovation have outraced even the visions of Adam Smith and John Stuart Mill. He argues:
"The phrase diminishing returns is such a cliché that few people give it much thought. Picking out the pecans from a bowl of salted nuts gives diminishing returns: The pieces of pecan in the bowl get rarer and smaller. The fingers keep finding almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, or even—God forbid—Brazil nuts. Gradually the bowl, like a moribund gold mine, ceases to yield decent returns of pecan.
Now imagine a bowl of nuts that has the opposite character. The more pecans you take, the larger and more numerous they grow. That is the human experience for the last 100,000 years. The global nut bowl has yielded ever more pecans."
Reason's own science correspondent Ronald Bailey talked with Ridley recently in Washington, D.C. They discuss Ridley's book, his hopes for the future, and the policies that can improve - or undermine - the prospects for our future.
Go to http://Reason.com articles by, about, and featuring Matt Ridley.
If you like what you see, then sign up for Reason's first-ever cruise in February 2011, which features Ridley, Bailey, Matt Welch, Nick Gillespie, Jacob Sullum, and other guest speakers for a week of relaxation and conversation. For details go to http://reasoncruise.com
Shot by Dan Hayes and Meredith Bragg, who also edited the segment.
Approximately 10 minutes.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:07 Sex in the Pool?by upstairsgirlsFeatured 45,728,029
- 56:26 Q&A: Nick Gillespieby CSPAN 2,430 views
- 16:39 Matt Ridley: When ideas have sexby TEDtalksDirector 124,824 views
- 50:46 Authors@Google: Matt Ridleyby AtGoogleTalks 10,577 views
- 9:30 Matt Ridley on Francis Crick (I)by pangeaprogressblog 1,734 views
- 2:55 Audiobook: The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridleyby audiobookmturk14 1,602 views
- 10:02 Author Matt Ridley: "The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves"by BookTV 1,329 views
- 2:04 Sex on the Beach?by upstairsgirls 23,908,136 views
- 10:03 Human Nature - Sexual Behavior & Reproductive Strategiesby MysteriousMaskMan 47,280 views
- 5:56 Matt Ridley Viewer Questions on Uncommon Knowledgeby UKHoover 683 views
- 7:14 Is it Okay to be Optimistic?by wnycradio 1,706 views
- 2:04 Matt Ridley - The Rational Optimist: Intensive Farmingby fifthestateuk 10,154 views
- 1:17:06 The Rational Optimist with Matt Ridley | 24.11.10by PolicyExchangeUK 1,119 views
- 2:27 How to Have Sex in the Office and Not Get Caughtby Howcast 16,477,019 views
- 1:57 Matt Ridley - The Rational Optimist: Everybody is working for everybody elseby fifthestateuk 33,928 views
- 8:23 Darwin, Genetics, Conservatism: Friends or Foes? part 2by Richard Spencer 2,145 views
- 9:15 Matt Ridley on Evolution, Economics, and "Ideas Having Sex"by ReasonTV 19,078 views
- 2:40 How To Get A Guy To Notice You While You're Having Sex With Himby TheOnion 527,558 views
- 1:18:18 The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves (Cato Institute Book Forum, 2010)by LibertarianismDotOrg 673 views
- 4:24 Market Failuresby brittle13 17,228 views
- Loading more suggestions...