Matt Ridley on The Rational Optimist & "Ideas Having Sex"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 15, 2010
Best-selling science writer Matt Ridley's latest book is The Rational Optimist, which explains why the author is upbeat on the prospects of a planet and a civilization that seems to lurch from one pending political, economic, or environmental catastrophe to another.
Doomsayers have it all wrong, writes Ridley, who argues that prosperity and innovation have outraced even the visions of Adam Smith and John Stuart Mill. He argues:
"The phrase diminishing returns is such a cliché that few people give it much thought. Picking out the pecans from a bowl of salted nuts gives diminishing returns: The pieces of pecan in the bowl get rarer and smaller. The fingers keep finding almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, or even—God forbid—Brazil nuts. Gradually the bowl, like a moribund gold mine, ceases to yield decent returns of pecan.
Now imagine a bowl of nuts that has the opposite character. The more pecans you take, the larger and more numerous they grow. That is the human experience for the last 100,000 years. The global nut bowl has yielded ever more pecans."
Reason's own science correspondent Ronald Bailey talked with Ridley recently in Washington, D.C. They discuss Ridley's book, his hopes for the future, and the policies that can improve - or undermine - the prospects for our future.
Go to http://Reason.com articles by, about, and featuring Matt Ridley.
If you like what you see, then sign up for Reason's first-ever cruise in February 2011, which features Ridley, Bailey, Matt Welch, Nick Gillespie, Jacob Sullum, and other guest speakers for a week of relaxation and conversation. For details go to http://reasoncruise.com
Shot by Dan Hayes and Meredith Bragg, who also edited the segment.
Approximately 10 minutes.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:39:58 Matt Ridley Deep Optimismby OpenSourceTemple1,113 views
- 56:26 Q&A: Nick Gillespieby C-SPAN3,448 views
- 50:46 Authors@Google: Matt Ridleyby Talks at Google11,079 views
- 33:35 Matt Ridley -- The Rational Optimistby HooverInstitution5,862 views
- 16:39 Matt Ridley: When ideas have sexby TED137,848 views
- 16:27 Matt Ridley: When ideas have sexby HowTheWorldWorks32,606 views
- 10:44 Medical Marijuana by Drew Carey and Reason.tvby ReasonTV111,311 views
- 42:28 The Comedy Central Roast of Drew Careyby LuigiDonatelloStuff293,690 views
- 10:00 John Avlon: "How the Lunatic Fringe Is Hijacking America"by ReasonTV14,157 views
- 10:03 "You Are Your Brain": David Eagleman on Transforming Criminal Justiceby ReasonTV12,358 views
- 16:09 Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcoptersby TED1,211,657 views
- 8:02 Are Women Natural-Born Gold Diggers?by TheControversialist3,392 views
- 9:38 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.by TED2,027,110 views
- 9:57 Damon Root Discusses Libertarians vs. Conservatives on the Supreme Court and More!by ReasonTV5,796 views
- 1:57 Matt Ridley - The Rational Optimist: Everybody is working for everybody elseby fifthestateuk36,255 views
- 36:04 Matt Ridley - Freedom and Optimism: Humanity's Triumphby Institute of Public Affairs4,329 views
- 21:03 Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you areby TED2,572,955 views
- 12:40 Cristiano Ronaldo vs Sweden Away HD 720p (19/11/2013)by CriRo7i76,312 views
- 16:42 SFAH - Messing With Drewby TeeAyGee1234873,564 views
- 9:29 Judge Andrew Napolitano on Lies The Gov't Told You & His New Fox Business Showby ReasonTV38,165 views
- Loading more suggestions...