UN Helicopters Attacks in Congo
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 12, 2012
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's Special Representative for the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Roger Meece, confirmed today (12 July) that UN attack helicopters had engaged "very actively and very robustly" against rebel forces in the eastern DRC.
Meece told reporters in Kinshasa that the use of the attack helicopters was "in the context of seeking to do all possible" to protect the civilian population against the advances of the M23 rebel faction.
He said the peacekeepers were seeking "information available from all sources" and working in close collaboration with the Congolese Armed Forces (FARDC) "to try to determine the actual intentions and movements of forces of the M23 and therefore to take the necessary and corrective measures in terms of whatever their intentions may be."
The Special Representative pointed out that "there have been numerous instances" in the past where the peacekeeping forces, "have used the combat helicopters as well as surface troops and armoured vehicles and other means" to protect the civilian population.
The rebel group, known as M23 and composed of renegade soldiers who mutinied in April, is reportedly led by Bosco Ntaganda, an army general wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on charges of war crimes for recruiting and using children in combat in the DRC's north-east in 2002-2003.
Along with the neighbouring province of South Kivu in eastern DRC, North Kivu province has witnessed increased fighting between Government troops and the M23, which has displaced more than 100,000 people, including many who have fled to neighbouring Rwanda and Uganda.
In calls with the leaders of Rwanda and the DRC, the Secretary-General yesterday expressed grave concern over reports that the M23 is receiving external support.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:29 Les Fardc en ratissage à Bunagana, le M23 en fuite ( RDCONGOINFOS )by RDCongoInfos.com Featured 705
- 1:40:47 INVASION OF CONGO By RWANDA AND UGANDA REVEALED IN DETAILS From 1996-2000by Ngonji News23,838 views
- 36:13 FARDC: la réforme de l'armée est en marche, une explication aux succès des FARDC (RD Congo)by Mike Kabamba9,850 views
- 16:52 Documentaire Exclusif sur la demolition des soldats Rwandais du M23 par les vaillants FARDC au Kivuby DiskAndJockeyMEDIA7,819 views
- 4:33 La Triomphe de FARDC et "la disparition militaire" du M23...@VoiceOfCongoby MusicTVBase9,254 views
- 1:58 M23 rebels withdraw from Gomaby CCTV Africa7,783 views
- 2:49 TÉLÉ 24 LIVE: Grande débandade du M23, EPENGE et ROGER LUMBALA sur l'avancement des FARDCby tele24video15,642 views
- 1:22 M23 Rebels and Army clash in Democratic Republic of Congo.by CCTV Africa3,470 views
- 13:47 Nord-Kivu: le vice-Premier ministre Alexandre Luba Ntambo réconforte les FARDCby Mike Kabamba5,460 views
- 17:17 Les FARDC montent en puissance contre les aggresseurs du M23 et le Randwa....@VoiceOfCongoby AgenceCongoPresse15,025 views
- 3:22 Border Clash in Eastern Congo (Dispatch)by STRATFORvideo7,434 views
- 1:11:15 RWANDA M23 : RAPPORT ACCABLANT (60 MINUTES)by Ali Mampuya20,067 views
- 14:56 QUI EST DIDER ETUMBA GENERAL DES FARDC ?by Ali Mampuya51,328 views
- 6:09 Rwanda: COMMENT ON JAMES KABAREBE INTERVIEW with Colette Braeckman (www.lesoir.be)by Ngonji News48,669 views
- 2:17 Arrestation d'un rwandais infiltré au sein de l'armée congolaise - RDCby Mike Kabamba28,134 views
- 15:44 President Kagame on M23by Rwanda202085,021 views
- 3:04 UN fires on Rebel Positions in Congoby NTV Uganda11,921 views
- 1:32:27 Rwandan Ministers: Louise Mushikiwabo, James Kabarebe, John Rwangombwa on Congo crisis, Part 1/2by Rwanda202024,586 views
- 1:22 Combat entre FARDC et M23by Veritasinfo Veritas2,534 views
- 1:10:20 Chida 2, Theatre Congolaisby Nzube News7,267 views
- Loading more suggestions...