Senate Passes Unemployment Extensions - July 20, 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 20, 2010
July 20, 2010
Extension of Benefits for the Jobless Clears Senate Hurdle
By CARL HULSE
WASHINGTON — The Senate broke a stalemate on Tuesday over extending unemployment benefits for Americans who have been out of work for six months or more, voting to override Republican objections that the bill's costs would add to the federal deficit.
On a 60-to-40 vote, the Democratic-led Senate agreed to cut off debate on the $34 billion plan to distribute added unemployment compensation through November for those who have exhausted their standard 26 weeks of aid.
The 60 yeas were the minimum needed to overcome the threat of a filibuster and advance the bill to a final vote, expected later on Tuesday, when it is all but certain to pass. Two Republicans, Senators Susan Collins and Olympia J. Snowe of Maine, joined 56 Democrats and two independents in voting for the legislation; 39 Republicans and one Democrat, Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska, opposed it.
An estimated 2 million Americans have seen their benefits run out over the past two months while the legislation has been stalled in the partisan impasse.
"Finally, finally, finally," said Senator Barbara A. Mikulski, Democrat of Maryland. She called the unemployment insurance program a social compact with American workers that meant "when you hit a speed bump and have to be laid off through no fault of your own, there will be a safety net so that you do not fall."
Republicans said they backed the idea of extending benefits, but were determined to prevent the costs from being piled onto the mounting deficit.
"We believe the federal debt has grown to an alarming level, where it is threatening the future of our children and grandchildren," said Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, the No. 3 Republican in the Senate.
After the Senate completes its final vote on the measure, the House must still act on it, a vote that is expected to come on Wednesday. President Obama would then quickly sign the bill into law at the White House, freeing the aid.
The Senate action came just minutes after Carte Goodwin was sworn in as the new Democratic senator from West Virginia, replacing the late Robert C. Byrd. While the seat was vacant, Democrats lacked the votes to overcome the Republican filibuster.
At age 36, Mr. Goodwin, a former legal adviser to Gov. Joe Manchin III, becomes the youngest member of the Senate; Mr. Byrd, at 92, had been the oldest.
Both parties expect the fight over the unemployment extension to figure in midterm election campaigns in the fall. Republicans say they believe their stand will strengthen them with voters worried about the rising deficit. Democrats will criticize Republicans' willingness to set aside deficit concerns when they pushed through tax cuts for the affluent, but not when unemployment pay for ordinary workers was at stake.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This video may contain copyrighted material. Such material is made available for educational purposes only. This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
Standard YouTube License
- 26:13 Temporary Agencies (Tell Lies) But You Have The Power To Fire Them.by 1814dreadyhead 3,251 views
- 2:50 Anonymous Message to the Unemployed Americansby Bashananal 5,132 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Totally DESTROYS Obama Administration Over IRS Scandal | A MUST WATCHby JonXTalks1 102,251 views
- 5:54 News for Unemployment Benefitsby Cathy Krafft 5,695 views
- 1:27:47 Davos Annual Meeting 2010 - Global Economic Outlookby WorldEconomicForum 15,373 views
- 2:53 UPDATE Unemployment Extension ON HOLD Again! JULY 20,2010by 916edward 1,294 views
- 47:55 Mock Unemployment Insurance Hearingby vlpboston 2,862 views
- 29:07 A Job to Get Work (BBC Documentary)by TeachersChanneI 8,855 views
- 12:18 Trapped in Unemploymentby CBSNewsOnline 26,691 views
- 4:19 Unemployed Missing Benefitsby wish 930 views
- 1:57 Jobless benefits expire at midnightby WUPW 892 views
- 6:29 Hatch CNBC Unemployment Benefitsby SenatorOrrinHatch 1,910 views
- 2:50 Anonymous Message to the Unemployed Americansby anonjobhunter 173,445 views
- 23:30 Fault Lines - America's Jobs Crisisby AlJazeeraEnglish 24,622 views
- 3:38 Rep. Alan Grayson on Unemployment: This is an American Tragedy in the Makingby RepAlanGrayson 2,724 views
- 12:50 A Typical Unemployment Benefits Hearing.movby ORGovEmployment 8,258 views
- 10:05 Emeritus Newsbrief, Unemployment Extension, Jobs Forecast, Feb. 26 2 2010.wmvby emeritusnews 3,678 views
- 13:15 Unemployment Benefits: The 99ersby CBSNewsOnline 82,679 views
- 6:35 Anonymous: To The Unemployedby draftersecret 906 views
- 1:37:05 Envoyé spécial 02/05/13by Sgt Pepper 4,073 views
- Loading more suggestions...