Ultimate spinach-mind flowers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 24, 2008
made with some artpics of my own!!!hope youll like it!
Ultimate Spinach is an obscure 60s Psychedelic/Hard Rock/Blues group from Boston, Massachusetts, similar to the likes of The Lost, Front Page Review, Country Joe & the Fish, Orpheus, Mandrake Memorial, Earth Opera, Boston Tea Party, The Beacon Street Union, and Jefferson Airplane.
Ultimate Spinach was formed in 1967 and comprised keyboardist/guitarist Ian Bruce-Douglas and singer Barbara Hudson.
The music is undeservedly forgotten. Despite suffering claims of dishonesty, they published technically sophisticated but also musically fascinating albums. On Ultimate Spinach (MGM, 1968) the standout cuts are Ballad Of The Hip Death Goddess, with an instrumental interval for theremin (an early electronic instrument), feedback and reverberation, the psychoanalytic folk-blues PlayEgo Trip, the 4-part suite PlaySacrifice of the Moon, as well as PlayYour Head Is Reeling and the Frank Zappa-esque — but less nasty than he typically was — Plastic Raincoats. While there was a rumor that Bruce-Douglas had been taken to court by Country Joe McDonald for having copied The Masked Marauder in his PlayBaroque #1, this was pure fantasy.
More complex compositions such as the suite in four movements Genesis of Beauty and PlayFragmentary March of Green, two pieces soaked in mysticism, enliven the second album Behold & See (MGM, 1968). The tracks Jazz Thing and Mind Flowers experimented with unusual tempos and atmosphere, while the graceful PlayGilded Lamp of the Cosmos exemplifies the best of their psychedelic folk ballads. (Note: Big Beats re-release of Behold And See omits PlayVisions of Your Reality. In addition, it liberally edits other cuts, and thus should not be considered a true re-release.)
Upon release of the second album, Ian Bruce-Douglas quit Ultimate Spinach and a new band was formed with Barbara Hudson as the only original member. Tony Scheuan, Ted Myers, Mike Levine and Jeff Baxter (future session man for Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers) were also added. A third album (Ultimate Spinach III) was recorded in 1969. This album is inferior to the two before it, largely leaving behind the psychedelic effects that characterised the Bruce-Douglas period and developing a generic sound more reminiscent of such acts as The Byrds, The Monkees and the 68-era The Beach Boys.
In 1970 the band reformed with no original members and continue to this day, generally performing in the Oregon area. The new group have released several independent albums such as Sacrifice of the Moon: Instrumental Music of Ultimate Spinach (2006). This band has always remained underground and in recent years Bruce-Douglas has derided its existence.
Years later Bruce-Douglas created Azlbrax, with whom he released In the Valley of the Shadow (Intergalactic, 1988).
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Mind Flowers - from "Behold & See"" on
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:29 Jefferson Airplane -White Rabbit-by dustasduFeatured 14,875,168
- 8:48 Tea Company - You Keep Me Hangin Onby Udo Rostalski 120,169 views
- 3:49 Dead Meadow :: Me and the Devil Bluesby 0zma1 452,456 views
- 7:29 The Myrrors - Warpaintingby Slamolo's channel 613,118 views
- 2:20 Abstract Sound - I'm Trying (1967)by Udo Rostalski 122,821 views
- 68 videos Play all chill playlist 2by 88Ronalds
- 40:01 Ultimate Spinach - Full Albumby Fastandverybulbous 11,616 views
- 12:47 Ultimate Spinach - Mind Flowers (Live 1967)by ginnungagap3's channel 9,139 views
- 10:20 Nina Simone - Sinnermanby chacho mg 1,197,922 views
- 10:21 60's Psychedelic Instrumentals - Vol. 2by GrimlyFormingPW 32,931 views
- 3:52 GANDALF - I Watch the Moonby maciekstudio 73,317 views
- 16:52 The Machine - Moons of Neptuneby mustaba1234's channel 381,110 views
- 7:01 weird owl - White hidden fireby stevetheroten 373,036 views
- 4:47 Love - The Red Telephoneby lostinstars1 81,979 views
- 3:24 PR ETTTY ZINGS - 1969 Death (Their Psychedelic Years)by Beyond The Beat Generation 50,068 views
- 3:14 "Going up the Country" - Canned Heat / WOODSTOCK '69by Emy B 3,281,716 views
- 3:40 Fifty Foot Hose-If Not This Timeby thepowderedclouds 54,472 views
- 4:49 Ultimate Spinach "Baroque #1"by sbritt 5,984 views
- 8:10 Ultimate Spinach - Ballad Of The Hip Death Goddessby agata44poison 5,623 views
- 3:54 Beacon Street Union-The Clown Died In Marvin Gardensby thepowderedclouds 44,910 views
- 3:44 Orange Alabaster Mushroom - Space and Timeby Sami Marliden 74,895 views
- Loading more suggestions...