Global conversation on the Post-2015 sustainable development agenda
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 26, 2013
In a new video, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon calls the engagement of more than 750,000 people from 193 countries in setting a new global development agenda "a historic effort for a historic policy-making process."
The video highlights the ongoing UN-led effort to hear from people around the world and at every level of society what their priorities are for the post-2015 development agenda. This will in turn inform countries as they work to create a new set of targets that will succeed the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in 2015.
"People across the world have mobilized for the MDGs, the most successful anti-poverty push in history. Now we must finish the job and tackle a new generation of development challenges," said Ban Ki-moon in an interview for the video produced by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Since the MDGs were adopted by all UN Member States in 2000, global extreme poverty rate has been cut in half and two billion more people have gained access to safe drinking water.
In addition, maternal and child mortality have dropped and a record number of children are in primary school, with the number of girls equaling the boys for the first time. Plus, the world continues to fight killer diseases, such as malaria, tuberculosis and AIDS.
"Development, after all, is about people. Their aspirations and ambitions must shape our policies and goals. I am determined to make sure that what a farmer says in Tanzania, or a student says in Vietnam, or a mother says in Honduras, will be heard at UN Headquarters," he added.
To ensure a comprehensive and inclusive consultative process, the United Nations launched an unprecedented national and thematic dialogues, complemented by a global crowdsourcing effort using digital media and mobile phone technology as well as paper ballots, that have enabled more than 750,000 people from 194 countries so far to take part in setting the next generation of anti-poverty goals.
"I want this to be the most inclusive global development process the world has ever known," Mr. Ban said.
The preliminary findings from national consultations on the priorities for the sustainable development goals were published in "The Global Conversation Begins" report.
"Our call is to empower people and build better life for all while protecting our planet. This is the essence of sustainable development," concluded Secretary-General Ban.
The High-level Panel on Post-2015 Development Agenda chaired by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono of Indonesia, and Prime Minister David Cameron of the UK, acknowledged the contribution of the global conversation in their report handed over to the Secretary-General Ban on 30 May 2013.
Released today, the video showcases the national consultations that took place in May 2013 in Rwanda as an example of the national process which has been organized in 87 countries.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:30 Leccion 37 Conversacion en inglesby Jared Hendricks Inglés Featured 7,685
- 3:07 Human Development Report 2013 Launchby United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)2,955 views
- 1:17 The Future We Wantby United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)24,642 views
- 2:09 UNDP - SOMALIA Cash for Workby United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)13,463 views
- 2:05 Helen Clark - Women Deliver Plus Social Goodby United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)505 views
- 48:25 Day 2: The 1st Annual Somali Diaspora Youth Conference (PART 24)by AdarFoundation6,719 views
- 41:25 Day 1: The 1st Annual Somali Diaspora Youth Conference (PART 6)by AdarFoundation19,977 views
- 16:06 Day 1: The 1st Annual Somali Diaspora Youth Conference (PART 17)by AdarFoundation23,315 views
- 59:16 5. The 3rd Annual Somali Diaspora Youth (SDY) Conference 2011by AdarFoundation770 views
- 13:00 Abraham Hicks - why do I keep forgeting Abraham's teachingsby Evaldas Ertx12,999 views
- 19:51 Title: Day 1: The 1st Annual Somali Diaspora Youth Conference (PART 15)by AdarFoundation9,968 views
- 21:11 Troops Ordered To Kill All Americans Who Do Not Turn In Gunsby TheAlexJonesChannel3,063,011 views
- 3:17 Press Statement by the High Level Panel co-chairs on the Post 2015 Development Agendaby UNMILTV1,040 views
- 14:29 Day 1: The 1st Annual Somali Diaspora Youth Conference (PART 6A)by AdarFoundation49,694 views
- 4:15 14 Year Old Black Teen: Stocks & Bonds GURUby testizel4,019 views
- 19:36 Girl Shot in Head by Taliban, Speaks at UN: Malala Yousafzai United Nations Speech 2013by ABC News557,654 views
- 45:33 Histórico discurso de José Mujica En la ONU contra el orden mundial 2013 (FULL HD)by EvolucionGroove.COM24,387 views
- 5:17 United Nations Millennium Campaign - Goal 1 - End Hungerby endpoverty201524,081 views
- 18:02 Truly sustainable economic development: Ernesto Sirolli at TEDxEQChChby TEDxTalks14,420 views
- 4:11 European Report on Development 2013: Report on Post-2015 Agendaby TheERD2013585 views
- Loading more suggestions...