DAVID BOWIE - First TV appearance 1970 - SPACE ODDITY
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 13, 2007
Although he released an album and numerous singles earlier, David Bowie first caught the eye and ear of the public in the autumn of 1969, when his space-age mini-melodrama "Space Oddity" reached the top five of the UK singles chart. After a three-year period of experimentation he re-emerged in 1972 during the glam-rock era as a flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust, spearheaded by the hit single "Starman" and the album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. The relatively short-lived Ziggy persona epitomised a career often marked by musical innovation, reinvention and striking visual presentation.
In 1975 Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the number-one single "Fame" and the hit album Young Americans, which the singer identified as "plastic soul". The sound constituted a radical shift in style that initially alienated many of his UK devotees.
He then confounded the expectations of both his record label and his American audiences by recording the minimalist album Low -- the first of three collaborations with Brian Eno. His most experimental works to date, the so-called "Berlin Trilogy" nevertheless produced three UK top-five albums. The anthem-like, towering title track of the second work "Heroes" (1977) is widely regarded as a milestone in rock and pop.
After uneven commercial success in the late 1970s, Bowie had UK number ones with the 1980 single "Ashes to Ashes" and its parent album, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). He paired with Queen for the 1981 UK chart-topper "Under Pressure", but consolidated his commercial -- and, until then, most profitable -- sound in 1983 with the album Let's Dance, which yielded the hit singles "China Girl", "Modern Love" and, most famously, the title track.
Since the mid-80s only a handful of Bowie's recordings have entered public consciousness. In the British Broadcasting Corporation's 2002 poll of the 100 Greatest Britons, Bowie ranked 29. Throughout his career he has sold an estimated 136 million albums, and ranks among the ten best-selling acts in UK pop history.
In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him #39 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time..
Standard YouTube License
- 37 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 8:40 David Gilmour & David Bowie - Comfortably Numbby StanMark 2,938,641 views
- 8:37 David Bowie Iggy Popby redsails2008 . 28,342 views
- Official David Bowie 3 videos23K
- 7:06 David Bowie - Heroes - Live Aid 1985 (HD)by Hans Heim 1,320,812 views
- 6:05 David Bowie - As the world falls downby Canale di chocolateheroine 4,677,390 views
- 3:11 David Bowie - Rare "Heroes" 1977 Bing Crosby Specialby cyran9 的频道 1,833,031 views
- 63 videos Play all David Bowieby HightsWrite
- 4:03 David Bowie - China Girlby EMI Music 3,253,639 views
- 3:11 David Bowie - Sorrowby Canale di chocolateheroine 1,057,733 views
- 5:15 David Bowie - Space Oddityby Allan Mardle 408,256 views
- 5:41 PETER GABRIEL - Games without Frontiers (Live)by gazsmash's channel 71,967 views
- 3:16 David Bowie-Starmanby jackhalloween's channel 395,569 views
- 2:29 joy division - walked in line 1979 (live)by gazsmash's channel 94,047 views
- 4:09 David Bowie - Let's Danceby EMI Music 8,969,287 views
- 4:28 David Bowie - Let's Danceby Damian Maxwell's channel 3,406,797 views
- 4:50 David Bowie - Thursdays childby Canale di chocolateheroine 2,486,191 views
- 3:41 A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS (LIVE) SOLID GOLD 1983by gazsmash 13,945 views
- 5:26 David Bowie -Rare version of 5 years, amazing - Dinah Shore 1975by cyran9 的频道 268,162 views
- 3:34 David Bowie/Pat Metheny - This Is Not America (Promo Clip)by skytrax1's channel 1,691,636 views
- 4:33 DAVID BOWIE - REBEL REBELby viadellavita 2,279,789 views
- 2:58 David Bowie & Mick Jagger - Dancing In The Streetby EMI Music 4,193,679 views
- 4:21 David Bowie - The Alabama songby Canale di chocolateheroine 1,539,031 views
- Loading more suggestions...