Can the Government Make Entrepreneurs Do Useless Things For No Reason?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2012
Verlin Stoll is a 27-year-old entrepreneurial dynamo who owns Crescent Tide funeral home in Saint Paul, Minn. Verlin has built a successful business because he offers low-cost funerals while providing high-quality service. His business is also one of the only funeral homes that benefits low-income families who cannot afford the high prices of the big funeral-home companies.
Verlin wants to expand his business, hire new employees and continue to offer the lowest prices in the Twin Cities, but Minnesota refuses to let Verlin build a second funeral home unless he builds a $30,000 embalming room that he will never use.
Minnesota's law is irrational. Embalming is never required just because someone passes away and the state does not even require funeral homes to do their own embalming. In fact, it is perfectly legal to outsource embalming to a third-party embalmer. Minnesota's largest funeral chain has 17 locations with 17 embalming rooms, but actually uses only one of those rooms.
Why is Minnesota forcing Verlin to waste $30,000 on a useless embalming room as a condition of expanding his thriving business?
So that the big, full-amenity funeral-home businesses can benefit from a law that drives up prices for consumers and operating expenses for competitors such as Verlin. Verlin's basic services fee is only $250, which is about 90 percent lower than the $2,500 that the average Twin Cities' funeral home charges. Verlin's business model is built on minimizing fixed costs, which is why he does not have a hearse or chapel, and this law—to the advantage of his competitors—stands in the way of him expanding his low-cost, high-quality approach.
The government should not force Minnesotans to do useless things. That is why on January 19, 2012, Verlin and the Institute for Justice challenged the law in state court.
The Minnesota Constitution protects every Minnesotan's economic liberty, which means that it protects entrepreneurs from being burdened by legal requirements that are either useless or designed to suppress honest competition.
A victory here will not only free Verlin from an unconstitutional restraint on his economic liberty, but protect entrepreneurs across the state from pointless laws and bureaucracy.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:00 Behind the Scenes: Funeral Homeby thedayctFeatured 453,740
- 5:05 Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?by InstituteForJustice 172,638 views
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice 108,962 views
- 3:57 How are food truck entrepreneurs like the Buffalo Bills? They're unrelenting underdogs & dreamers.by InstituteForJustice 5,372 views
- 2:25 IJ on the Individual Mandateby InstituteForJustice 21,122 views
- 8:05 Dallas Funeral Homes and Cremation Servicesby DallasFuneralHomes 2,344 views
- 7:09 Edgar the Exploiterby bitbutter 83,170 views
- 2:02 BodyScoop Funeral Home w musicby BodyScoop 56,146 views
- 55:06 The Free Market: Fallacies and Facts | Thomas E. Woods, Jrby misesmedia 32,665 views
- 9:30 Behind the scenes CEMETERY funeral dayby billstmaxx 308,462 views
- 7:22 I am IJ: 20 Years Litigating for Libertyby InstituteForJustice 5,578 views
- 2:35 FREE SPEECH FIGHT: New Orleans Bureaucrats Silence Speech, Tour Guides Fight Backby InstituteForJustice 7,530 views
- 1:59 F.L.O.S.S: Protecting You from Low-Cost Teeth-Whitening Servicesby InstituteForJustice 7,424 views
- 1:19 Can The Government Outlaw Groupon Discounts?by InstituteForJustice 6,026 views
- 3:34 Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family Motel from Innocent Ownersby InstituteForJustice 60,678 views
- 10:00 California Redevelopment Agencies Abused Their Powers & Should Never Returnby InstituteForJustice 5,757 views
- 2:59 James Funeral Homeby crewdarlisle 12,191 views
- 19:45 Sumo Dojo - What do entrepreneurs do all day?by APPSUMO 2,054 views
- 8:07 Funeral Director, career interview from drkit.orgby DrKitVideos 3,188 views
- 3:19 Channeling Self-Interest for Goodby EconFree 4,317 views
- Loading more suggestions...