- Startups - Ryan Carson of Carsonified and Treehouse- TWiST #198
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 19, 2011
Jason talks with Ryan Carson [ @ryancarson ] about establishing connections and getting funding.
0:00-4:00 Welcome everyone. We're live today with Ryan Carson of Carsonified and Treehouse.
4:00-5:00 What's your secret for success, Ryan?
5:00-7:00 Thank you to GoToMeeting for sponsoring the show today. Everyone thank @GoToMeeting on Twitter for their support!
7:00-9:30 How many events do I turn down vs. accept to attend or speak at?
9:30-11:30 So you 100% bootstrapped your conference?
11:30-12:15 And you started the conferences 10 years before TedX?
12:15-13:00 If you are the person throwing the party, you have this light on you, you're the center of the community.
13:00-14:00 How many people came to the first FOWA?
14:00-15:00 When did you realize you were becoming a power broker in London?
15:00-16:00 Tell me about the most stressful moment of your conference experience?
16:00-18:45 Did it break you to the point that you got out of control?
18:45-19:15 Ryan: Why is it that web entrepreneurs under-rate the ability to sell?
19:15-21:45 So you've sold the "Future Of" events?
21:45-23:30 How did you arrive at the decision to sell the business?
23:30-24:30 Thanks for joining us today, EP Jeff Hoffer! If you want to sit in on a live TWiST taping like Jeff, become an Executive Producer on the TWiST List! Go to twistlist.co and join today!
24:30-26:45 Thank you to Squarespace for sponsoring the show. If you want to get 20% off on your website for 6 months, sign up at squarespace.com with the promo code 'twist10.'
26:45-31:45 What is Treehouse and why did you build it?
31:45-33:00 What are the people with Treehouse.com doing with it?
33:00-34:15 How does Treehouse work?
34:15-36:00 Ryan: Brad Feld told me, "The key to marketing is thought leadership."
36:00-38:00 So did you get a lawyer to help you negotiate the deal terms?
38:00-42:30 Jason invests live on the show in Treehouse! Then Ryan explains how he attracted the investors he got.
42:30-45:30 Ryan: Do your time making friends and take care of people. Then, when the moment is right, offer them something of value.
45:30-46:45 How did you book the Chirp conference for Twitter?
46:45-50:30 Ryan explains his four day work week and "Idea Week."
50:30-51:30 What do you think is going on at Twitter? Why wouldn't they have confidence in Dick Costollo?
51:30-52:00 Question from the chat: Is there going to be another FOWA Vegas?
52:00-52:30 How long are you still going to be involved in the events?
52:30-55:00 Question from the chat: Is Ryan interested in angel investing or becoming a VC? (Ryan tells us who he would invest in!)
55:00-56:15 Rich, you have an Ask Jason question. What is it?
56:15-57:30 How does BigStove technically work?
57:30-58:30 BigStove got a cease and desist letter from a bigger start up claiming they're infringing on their name. What should they do?
58:30-1:01:00 Jason explains what he would do: put yourself in the other person's shoes.
1:01:00-1:01:30 Jason: Call up their lawyer and ask them, what is your concern? And then you're running up their legal bill?
1:01:30-1:02:30 Insight from Tyler: It's like a creationist who gets a flu shot every year.
1:02:30-1:05:45 Ryan, how would you handle this?
1:05:45-1:09:45 Jason explains how his landlord attempted to change the lease on him.
01:09:45-1:11:15 Rich, the lesson here is to not sweat it. This will happen, just let it roll off your back.
01:11:15-1:12:15 Have people used your service? Do they like it?
1:12:15-1:13:15 Jason, Tyler and Ryan brainstorm a new name for BigStove.
1:13:15-1:18:00 Thank you to GoToMeeting and Squarespace for sponsoring the show.
1:18:00-1:19:30 Thanks for watching everyone! Stay tuned for This Week in Web Design.
1:19:30-1:21:00 How much is Treehouse for a year? Everyone visit TeamTreehouse.com and check it out! If you're a great designer or developer, email email@example.com.
1:21:00-1:23:00 Tyler: Jason, what makes you want to invest in Treehouse?
1:23:00-1:23:30 Thanks everyone, see you next time.
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:19:49 - Startups - News Roundtable with Paul Kedrosky and William Quigley - TWiST #182by ThisWeekIn 2,726 views
- 1:15:10 - Startups - Rob Hayes of First Round Capital - TWiST #249by ThisWeekIn 3,741 views
- 1:08:04 - Startups - Michael Preysman of Everlane - TWiST #253by ThisWeekIn 4,421 views
- 2:03:47 This Week in Startups - Andrew Mason, Founder of Grouponby ThisWeekIn 2,229 views
- 53:14 - Startups - Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures - TWiST #161by ThisWeekIn 11,177 views
- 1:19:22 - Startups - Kevin Rose of Milk - TWiST #218by ThisWeekIn 17,419 views
- 1:07:03 - Startups - Jake Winebaum of Brighter.com - TWiST #191by ThisWeekIn 2,913 views
- 1:08:58 - Startups - Sam Zaid of Getaround on TWiST #156by ThisWeekIn 2,804 views
- 45:27 - Startups - London Meetup on TWiST #153by ThisWeekIn 2,033 views
- 1:24:04 - Startups - Dan Gould of Chill - TWiST #204by ThisWeekIn 2,806 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by ThisWeekIn 3,840 views
- 1:13:43 - Startups - News Panel with Peter Horan and Jason Nazar - TWiST #203by ThisWeekIn 3,735 views
- 1:06:34 Jon Ferrara of Nimble - TWiST #189by ThisWeekIn 4,110 views
- 1:12:51 News Roundtable with Jason Nazar and Vivek Wadhwa - TWiST #197by ThisWeekIn 3,041 views
- 1:11:14 - Startups - Patents Special - TWiST #201by ThisWeekIn 4,071 views
- 30:52 Quirky.com | Secrets of Successful Startupsby BNETvideo 4,163 views
- 9:18 How to Build a Web Start-up, Part 1by carsonified 59,940 views
- 1:06:22 - Startups - Dan Martell of Flowtown - TWiST #206by ThisWeekIn 2,980 views
- 1:10:36 - Startups - Rick Marini of BranchOut - TWiST #205by ThisWeekIn 3,077 views