Pattern Drafting 101: Basic Bodice Sloper
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2011
A sloper (also sometimes called a "block") is a simple, fitted pattern which can easily be manipulated to create more detailed patterns. In this video I'll go over the basics how to start drafting.
My method gives you something that fits pretty well, but is not perfect. To make a perfectly fitted sloper, start with this method, sew a sample in muslin, then fit it to your body. As much as I like to break down fashion and sewing into a science or into something very mathematical, it's really more of an art, and the only way to achieve perfection is to waste a lot of time and a lot of fabric.
I'd say taking the time to make a "perfect" sloper is worth is, because it's something you can reuse over and over again as a template for other patterns. I dont mean to discourage you though, this method makes something that works fine 99% of the time. It's just that I probably enjoy pattern drafting more than I enjoy sewing, and I'm always trying to better my current technique.
Anyway, this video is somewhat long and dry but if you are interested in fashion design and patten drafting, you will have to understand these basics eventually. And there are many projects I have in mind that are so simple.... but only if you already understand sloper basics. I wanted to have a video that I could refer people back to when they had questions. This isnt the best tutorial, but it is an introduction and hopefully it will help you understand how to think about clothing design and how to approach pattern making.
sloper block pattern draft drafting sketch curve curvature sewing design designing sew designer fashion clothing tutorial how to croquis diy threadbanger thread fabric secret life of a bio nerd secretlifeofabionerd GiannyL Gianny ratio ratios bodice dress blouse shirt tank top tanktop tshirt t-shirt teeshirt girl girls women woman female Threadbanger Threadbangerstyle Secretlifeofabionerd Howto diy Doityourself Howtostyle fashion Fashiongdesign sewing styling Homesewing Easysewing Sewskirt
Standard YouTube License
- 7:13 How to transfer Sewing Patterns to Sturdier Paper for Repeated Useby TheCraftyGemini Featured 26,122
- 10:38 Lesson 2-14 MEDIUM Front Bodice Part 1a - PATTERN MAKING OF A BASIC DRESS WITH WAISTLINEby Chic Francisco9,415 views
- 21:24 Dart Manipulation Techniquesby Chris White19,529 views
- 6:20 Lesson 1 : Bodice Sloperby Amani A.67,657 views
- 7:59 Lesson 4 : Basic Trousers Sloperby Amani A.27,832 views
- 11:18 How to Measure for Set-In Sleeve Block Pattern (Free Sample)by eSewingWorkshop25,326 views
- 14 videos Play all Pattern Makingby barbarasbridalwear
- 7:37 How to Measure For Bodice Block Pattern Making (Free Sample)by eSewingWorkshop138,506 views
- 7:08 Pattern Making: Straight Sleeve Sloper: Full Tutorialby UniversityOfFashion54,727 views
- 7:05 How To Design a Princess Lineby surefitdesigns46,593 views
- 13:55 How To Increase The Bustline In A Commercial Patternby Professor Pincushion22,164 views
- 4:17 Pattern Draftingby ThePatternDrafter91,390 views
- 14:06 Lesson 14 - AB Series: How to Make a Basic Bodiceby fettuccinetube31,246 views
- 7:44 How to Draft an Upper Torso (aka Bodice) Sloperby Don McCunn44,743 views
- 7:21 How to Draft a Simple Skirt Pattern, CRAFTOVISIONby Craftovision71,843 views
- 9:45 how to make fancy necklinesby dilpasand200130,594 views
- 6:29 Fashion Unfolded: How-to Basic Draping Design- Part 1by susaneliascouture100,802 views
- 14:13 Tutor Couture: How to Drape on the Stand, Taster of Lesson 1by Tutor Couture113,234 views
- 11:22 Mako Shark Clothing Presents: Pattern Making, Bodiceby Mako Wynne11,975 views
- 5:43 Lesson 2 : Basic Sleeve Sloperby Amani A.68,213 views