Raven with U.D.O. "Born To Be Wild" (Steppenwolf cover)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 27, 2008
Track taken from the 2000 reissue of 1983's "All For One"
Raven is a heavy metal band associated with the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, that formed in 1975. They also opened for punk bands The Stranglers and The Motors. They had a hit with the single "On and On", and refer to their music as "Athletic Rock."
Formed in Newcastle, England by brothers John and Mark Gallagher, Raven quickly set the pace for the burgeoning metal renaissance in the UK at the time. Raven began creating a sound which was rooted in British hard rock with progressive tendencies and a willingness to take musical chances . The band's highly energized live show and interaction between members developed an image and style of play the band described as "athletic". They began wearing guards, helmets and plates from various sports (hockey, baseball,etc...) and incorporating them into the playing of their instruments (for instance, elbow pads were used to strike cymbals for a unique performance angle). Eventually, the band signed with Neat Records, the legendary, low-budget metal label of the Northlands, releasing Wiped Out and Rock Until You Drop within a year's time and making an impressive showing on the UK charts a the time. Sufficient noise was made for the American market to take notice and New Jersey's Megaforce Records signed them, issuing their next recording in the States as All for One. The band came stateside in 1983 and toured extensively with Megaforce bands Metallica and Anthrax, both of whom would gain a place of prominence in the growing thrash metal movement. Manager/Megaforce founder Johnny Zazula believed that Raven were major label material and kept them touring constantly until the big labels noticed. The infamous Live at the Inferno recording was a product of one of those tours. Atlantic Records signed Raven to a worldwide contract after a minor bidding war (major label contracts would follow for Metallica and Anthrax in the following year). The band moved its permanent base from Newcastle to New York.
Stay Hard was released in 1984 and proved a minor hit on the strength of single/video On and On. The Atlantic years proved to be less-than-stellar for the band. A drastic shift in a more "commercial" direction came at the label's behest, with many diehard fans being alienated by the slick, lightweight production of The Pack Is Back (effectively marketing the band with their weird musical forays and confusing image was likely very difficult). However, the band recorded 2 LPs and the Mad EP before being let go by Atlantic. After touring behind the Life's a Bitch album, Wacko left the band to spend more time with his new wife and family. He would later pursue a career in audio production and engineering, eventually working with jazz greats Branford Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. Virginian Joe Hasselvander (ex-Pentagram) took over the drum set and the band dropped the outlandish image for a more conventional "denim and leather" look for their 1988 release Nothing Exceeds Like Excess. After the advent of grunge and the dissolution of their record label (Combat Records) led the band to concentrate on continental Europe and Japan, where they retained more of a following. The band recorded and toured until 2001, when a wall collapsed on Mark, crushing his legs. Raven went on hiatus for nearly 5 years while the guitarist rehabilitated. As of 2006, Raven is touring with a new release in the works.
DISCLAIMER: Standard disclaimers apply. I encourage viewers to buy the original content, both the music and the photos, from the owners.
THIS IS A FAN-TRIBUTE ONLY! I am in no way affiliated with the band or the photographers.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Born to Be Wild" on
- 32 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Raven with U.D.O. "Born To Be Wild" (Steppenwolf cover)
- 3:26 Raven - Born To Be Wildby NoiseFilthFury Featured 37,732
- 9:45 Drum Lesson - Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf - Intro & Solo Sectionby onlinedrummer78,029 views
- 7:10 Raven "Speed of the Reflex" Live at Jaxx Pt 1 (on a bill with U.D.O.)by dsirecords3,386 views
- 2:40 All The Josephs: Born To Be Wild - Any Dream Will Doby Renée P36,463 views
- 4:51 Born To Be Wild Coverby iplaybassandgh222,137 views
- 4:56 The Cult - Born To Be Wild - BBC Broadcast 1987by jim9029082,006 views
- 8 videos Play all AFM Youtube Playlistby afmrecords
- 3:45 The Kransky Sisters - Born To Be Wildby innerwestie40,236 views
- 6:33 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "Born To Be Wild" HQ 8-30-08 Harley Fest Milwaukee WI 2008by ConcertCameraCat229,914 views
- 4:45 Blues company - born to be wildby zsozsofiam122,177 views
- 4:16 UDO and Doro Peschby pcdrummer12,334,504 views
- 4:01 STEPPENWOLF - BORN TO BE WILD (LYRICS)by xXlyricGod96Xx1,539,830 views
- 4:00 Raven - Inquisitorby NoiseFilthFury7,366 views
- 4:04 Born To Be Wild-Dennis Rodman Mixby antzheng3,520,697 views
- 3:31 Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wildby Max Shkiv10,442,094 views
- 4:51 Adam Lambert- American Idol Top 7 Born to be wild (HD)by LexieeLambert1,987,103 views
- 3:59 U.D.O. The Wrong Side Of Midnightby Piolka717,588 views
- 4:48 Los Natas - Born To Be Wild (Steppenwolf cover)by Wytchfynder198216,028 views
- 4:17 Big Brother Norway 2001 - Steppenwolf Born to Be Wild (Cover)by arctic17514,659 views
- 8:48 Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild guitar lesson by Mikesby learnpiano88224,674 views