The Walking Dead - Comparing the Comics to the Game
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 1, 2012
Follow Us On Twitter http://Twitter.com/ClevverGames
Become a Real Fan http://www.facebook.com/ClevverGames
This was the week when we finally got to play TellTales newest game The Walking Dead. This franchise is not only a hit comic and an amazing tv show, but to top it off, it now is a fantastic video game. Being a huge walking dead fan, immediately I wanted to break down the game and compare it to the comics and even the tv show.
First off, What makes the Walking Dead so amazing, is that it's unlike any zombie experience we've had lately. It's concentration on the people and how those individuals survive and cope during this zombie apocalypse is what is key. The weight of every decision sitting right on the shoulders of the main protagonist Rick Grimes translates perfectly in the comics. TellTale did a great job taking that quality and adding it to The Walking Dead Game. In fact, Telltale added a decision making aspect that worked out perfectly in this first episode. You now know what it would have been like for Rick to have to make hard hitting decisions, sometimes with absolutely no time to really contemplate them. And then, most importantly, living with the consequences of that decision
Something that really stands out in comparison to the comics is the art style. Telltale gives us an image of this world in a way we haven't seen before. Honestly, it took me a bit to get used to the cel shaded style of this game, but at the same time, the comics were done solely in black and white. And even that took some time to get used to. But honestly, the art style doesn't take away from the game at all. All of that just disappears the first time you bash a hammer into a zombies head...repeatedly.
Now let's look at the pacing. The pacing of the comics has always been something that I loved most. I've literally had times where I'm reading through, and when shit hits the fan and I can't scroll through the panels fast enough. Other times, I'll be going through and absolutely nothing is happening for most of a story arc, and I'm okay with that. That just means no one is dying. In fact every time I turn a page, my immeidiate reaction is "no zombies no zombies no zombies phhhhew" The pacing in the game was spot on to that of the comics. Yes, there are moments when it goes on for a bit, and your just having conversations, but that's a good thing. This means no one is dying! But sometimes just like that, zombies show up out of nowhere, and you're looking frantically around to figure out what you need to do.
And finally what makes The Walking Dead the Walking dead is the characters. Now this is true in the comics, emphasized in the tv show, and just as important in the game. Here because of the decision making aspec, you actually build relationships with individual characters. You start making decisions that either further your relationships or hinder them. You become emotionally connected with them. And with the same intensity as you'd see on the tv show.
Alright, let's break this comparison down now. What makes the walking dead so amazing: It gives you a different view of the zombie apocalypse. Game does that too. Perfect pacing, you'll find that in the comics and in the game. It has zombies, so it needs to be gruesome. Comics definitely have that covered, and surprisingly, so does the game. And finally, the comics are about the characters in this zombie outbreak, not the other way around. And that's exactly how this game is shaping out to be so far.
Now I say so far, because this is just the first of 5 episodes in the Walking Dead game. But if they all come out as well as the first episode, it's safe to say that this game lives up to The Walking Dead name. Just like the comics, this game is an experience to go through and any walking dead fan needs to download this now. No really, right now. Do it. And this works both ways, if you like the show and this game...go buy the comics. Best read I've had in a long time. In the meantime, click that like button and don't forget to subscribe. Alright guys, thanks for watching. Till the next time, I'm the Jovenshire and you're watching clevver games
Tags: walking dead, preview, comics, tv show, season 3, game, video game, telltale, zombies, thriller, bloopers, clevver games, joshua ovenshire, jovenshire, amc
Standard YouTube License
- 4:01 Smosh Takes Over Clevver Gamesby Clevver GamesFeatured 380,032
- 0:58 New Skyrim DLC Confirmed and Coming Soonby Clevver Games 7,750 views
- 4:14 Top 5 Trash Talkers in Video Gamesby Clevver Games 15,657 views
- 1:24 Black Ops 2 Announced!by Clevver Games 6,435 views
- 8:37 Sniper Elite 2 - Demo With Commentaryby Clevver Games 24,936 views
- 1:59:54 The Walking Dead Game - episode 1 walkthrough no commentary Full Episode HD Gameplayby HassanAlHajry 2,344,162 views
- 12:51 Black Ops Zombie Lvl50 with the Secret Exit!!!!!!by asyali80 4,169,858 views
- 4:53 Walking Dead Game Comic-Con 2011 Interviewby Clevver Games 1,633 views
- 14:52 Dragonball Z Kinect: Angry Reviewby AngryJoeShow 671,318 views
- 54:25 Dota 2 - Northernlion Plays Dazzleby Northernlion 21,314 views
- 2:53 Video Game Characters You DO NOT Want With You During A Zombie Apocalypse.by Clevver Games 25,974 views
- 8:10 The Walking Dead - motion comic #1by directordam 123,921 views
- 3:27 The Walking Dead Cast Talk Zombies and Video Gamesby GamerHubVideos 31,044 views
- 2:01 Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Reveal Trailerby Clevver Games 12,976 views
- 1:53 Diablo 3 Multiplayer & Auction House Detailsby Clevver Games 3,726 views
- 1:34 Walking Dead Game - Fastest Selling Game for TellTaleby Clevver Games 4,637 views
- 13:04 Top 10 Video Game Commercials - JonTronby JonTronShow 1,253,233 views
- 1:13 God of War Ascension Multiplayer Detailsby Clevver Games 9,818 views
- 14:57 Zombie Apocalypse - As it should have beenby Bananazorz 1,934 views
- 1:45 Black Ops 2 Zombies Detailsby Clevver Games 20,425 views
- Loading more suggestions...