U.N. Surprise: Victim of Qaddafi Torture Confronts Libyan Chair of Durban 2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 20, 2009
How the UN legitimized Libya's murderous Qaddafi regime: http://www.unwatch.org. Story covered in France 24 TV; Swiss TV; The New Republic online.
The UN human rights council chose Libya to head the planning committee and main committee of the UN Durban Review Conference--notwithstanding the obscenity of having an egregious human-rights violator chair a human rights conference.
From The New Republic report: "Amidst the anti-Israel rants from all the usual NGOs, Libyan ambassador Najjat Al-Hajjaji (who was chairing the meeting) gave the floor to UN Watch..."
"But sitting in their chair was not Hillel Neuer, the group's executive director and usual mouthpiece, but Ashraf El Hagog, the Palestinian doctor who was falsely accused of and sentenced to death for infecting hundreds of Libyan children with HIV (along with five Bulgarian nurses). El Hagog and the nurses were held in Libya on death row for nine years, mistreated and tortured, until their release was negotiated by France last year."
"Madame Chairman," El Hagog began, staring steely eyed at the Libyan ambassador. "I dont know if you recognize me. I am the Palestinian medical intern who was scapegoated by your country, Libya, in the HIV case in the Benghazi hospital, together with the five Bulgarian nurses."
Al-Hajjaji immediately started banging her gavel. "Stop... stop.... I ask you to stop," she yelled, first looking miffed, then exasperated. "You are, you are not addressing the agenda item... I will allow you to resume only if you address the agenda item we are discussing." The room immediately fell silent.
El Hagog, being coached by Neuer sitting next to him, tried to introduce some amendments to the statement "based on my own suffering," and was again interrupted by Al-Hajjaji banging her gavel. But he continued recounting the story of his torture, then said, "All of this, which lasted for nearly a decade, was for only one reason: because the Libyan government was looking to scapegoat foreigners. Madame Chair, if that is not discrimination, then what is?" After listing the amendments, he concluded: "Madame Chair, Libya told this conference that it practices no inequality or discrimination. But then how do you account for what was done to me, to my colleagues, and to my family...?"
At this point, Hajjaji recognized a point of order from ... the Libyan delegation, who said that El Hagog was not speaking on the correct agenda item. Hajjaji used the objection as an excuse to move on to the next speaker.
Evénement imprévu à trois jours de la Conférence mondiale contre le racisme à Genève
17 avril 2009, 19:30
Durant la conférence préparatoire, l'organisation UN Watch a en effet créé la surprise en amenant un invité inattendu, le médecin palestinien victime du régime Kadhafi, enfermé durant des années et torturé. La présidente libyenne a tenté de l'interrompre, l'homme a tout de même témoignagé.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:36 Glenn Beck Screaming At Callerby The Young Turks Featured 1,149,070
- unitednations 2,846 videos45K
- 5:37 Iran interrupts U.N. racism session; UN Watch exposes hypocrisy of Durban II conferenceby unwatch28,658 views
- 4:28 Disfigured Terror Victim Confronts Goldstone in U.N. Debateby unwatch35,303 views
- 4:25 Banned Speech: Hillel Neuer Takes on U.N. Human Rights Councilby unwatch585,131 views
- 9:41 Qaddafi to arab معمر القذافي يطلق النار على الزعماء العربby DHANAAN GIZA527,705 views
- 2:12 Chaos at AU summit as Libya's Gaddafi slaps guard - Africannewslive.comby AfricanNewslive138,574 views
- 1:32:10 Kadhafi mort ou vifby Abderrazzak Filali34,695 views
- 9:46 Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's speech at Durban II conference (highlights)by jtanews119,506 views
- 3:47 Moammar Gadhafi Dead: Final Imageby ABC News572,789 views
- 0:30 Gadafi throws papers in UN speechby Reuters1,041,952 views
- 8:05 Tripoli, Libya in the 1960'sby Dana Anthony86,263 views
- 2:00 Best UN Moments of 2009by HillTowerProductions158,030 views
- 1:58 Mu'ammar Qadhafi Takes on Coca Cola and Pepsiby amplifier515336,212 views
- 7:25 Ghadafi Defends Lockerbie Bomber's Welcome On "Larry King"by PoliticsNewsPolitics170,857 views
- 5:25 Denying Darfur: UN Watch's Hillel Neuer Confronts Sudanby unwatch51,353 views
- 8:01 Discurso ante la ONU que le costo la vida a Muamar el Gadafiby RadioAMLO517,848 views
- 3:53 Gaddafi-Exclusive-Interview-FRANCE24by FRANCE 24 English268,257 views
- 3:35 Confronting Libya, Iran, Saudi Arabia, China & Cuba, UN Watch Blasts Durban II Mythsby unwatch6,417 views
- 3:00 Iran Attacks UN Watch for Exposing its Abuses at U.N.by unwatch147,199 views