Making Mozzarella Cheese (and Transglutamacurd...?) - Part 2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 14, 2010
WATCH IN HD!
***IMPORTANT NOTE: Some sections of this video are sped up due to time restrictions. They are sped up between 150 - 200%.***
In the following video you will see us making American-Style Mozzarella Cheese. American-Style means that it is the version of mozzarella most of us consider to be "pizza cheese," although it is much fresher and tastier!
In addition to making a normal pot of mozzarella cheese we are going to do a transglutaminase experiment with cheese and the Activa YG for dairy applications.
We are running side-by-side the exact same setup for making mozzarella cheese, although the red pot will also contain some transglutaminase.
Based on my research I found that transglutaminase supposedly increases the yield of cheese being made. Note in the cheese recipe below I make notes, especially at the end, about the addition of the transglutaminase. Please disregard that if you are just making mozzarella cheese.
Recipe: Homemade American-Style Mozzarella Cheese
CONTINUED FROM CHEESE VIDEO 1
5. Cut curd into ½ inch strips with long bladed knife by inserting knife straight down at edge and running it in straight lines parallel to each other. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. Rotate 45 degrees and repeat. Rotate 90 degrees and rotate. Essentially cutting small triangles.
6. Warm the curds and whey over low to medium heat stirring gently to keep curds separated until the temperature reaches 108F. Hold at 108F for 35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes gently to keep curds off bottom of pot. While this is happening sterilize your towel by boiling in water for 5 minutes. Hang to cool and dry.
7. Collect curds by pouring through the bar towel stretched over a colander. Save the whey for ricotta if you wish, otherwise whey can drain down sink.
8. Let sit and drain for 15-20 minutes.
9. Break up curd and add 1 teaspoon of salt and mix thoroughly.
10. For small mozzarella balls see step 14. For large mozzarella balls, place 1 cup of salted curd into 2 cup measure or glass bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
11. Pull cheese away from bowl with back of fork and knead to distribute heat.
12. Place back in bowl or measure and heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds more.
13. Stretch and fold as many times as your hands can handle (this stage is HOT!) and then shape into a soft ball.
14. ALTERNATIVE TO LARGE MOZZARELLA BALLS: Place ¼ - 1/3 cup salted curd into 1-2 cup measure or glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Follow steps 11-13.
15. Place balls of mozzarella into brine overnight.
16. Next day -- Rinse mozzarella balls and pat dry. Store in airtight container for up to a week.
Music: "Gwai on 45 (Arab Strap Remix)" by Mogwai, from their album "Kicking A Dead Pig"
Concept, Writing, Direction, and Production: Rob and Jason
Camera: Rob, utilizing an HD CANON Vixia HF100
On-Screen Demonstrations: Rob and Jason
Video Editing: Rob
Voice-Over Written and Recorded: Jason
Recipe Development: Jason
Enjoy this video as well as our many other videos!
I'd also like to thank my new found spice haven at My Spice Sage. High quality spices at really cheap prices!
Check them out at www.myspicesage.com
Standard YouTube License
- 3:52 Make mozzarella cheese in less than an hour!by Austin Homebrew SupplyFeatured 677,602
- 9:13 Making Mozzarella Part 1by cgicitizen 38,352 views
- 5:12 How Parmesan Cheese Is Madeby Triwood1973 91,036 views
- 21:51 Make fresh mozzarella from curd - Morgan & York on Foods of Michigan - Part 3by Bonnie Bucqueroux 30,772 views
- 7:07 Making Mozzarella Cheese (and Transglutamacurd...?) - Part 1by ProcrastinationPics 10,683 views
- 1:06:30 Meat Glue Mania | Lecture 10 (2010)by Harvard University 38,295 views
- 5:03 Transglutaminase Bacon Spiralsby ProcrastinationPics 10,420 views
- 16 videos Play all Steps of home cheesemakingby visztani
- 14:29 Making Parmesan Cheese Part 1 of 2by Gavin Webber 102,034 views
- 13:55 Simple Mozzarella Recipeby mrmkurtz 241,666 views
- 3:41 Making Mozzarella near Naples (Napoli), Italyby FeedMeVideo 78,020 views
- 10:23 Make Your Own Mozzarellaby Stuff Parents Need 35,280 views
- 11:39 BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella Curd Stretching Instructionsby BelGioiosoCheese 5,050 views
- 9:17 How to make mozzarella at homeby Amy Allshouse 49,333 views
- 10:47 Man make a fresh mozzarella cheese during tasting at farmhouse.by cyclingholidays 2,541 views
- 7:17 Tien's Homemade Mozzarella Part Oneby Tien Douglas 5,125 views
- 5:57 Making Mozzarellaby Tom Gibson 19,580 views
- 5:07 How to Make Fresh Mozzarellaby Ashley Sneed 65,385 views
- 2:45 Making Mozzarella 6 Strain, Drain and Hang Cheeseby RunningRoosterFarm 1,490 views
- 6:39 Meat Glue - The Shocking Truth About The Meat Industry's Dirty Little Secret!by ToxinFreeLiving 40,326 views
- 16:01 How to Make Mozzarella Cheese at Homeby jgalicinski's channel 4,312 views
- Loading more suggestions...