Making the Google Chrome Speed Tests
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 3, 2010
These speed tests were filmed at actual web page rendering times. If you're interested in the technical details, read on!
- Computer: MacBook Pro laptop with Windows installed
- Monitor - 24" Asus: We had to replace the standard fluorescent backlight with very large tungsten fixtures to funnel in more light to capture the screen. In addition, we flipped the monitor 180 degrees to eliminate a shadow from the driver board and set the system preferences on the computer to rotate 180 degrees. No special software was used in this process.
- Camera: Phantom v640 High Speed Camera at 1920 x 1080, films up to 2700 fps
"Why does allrecipes.com in the potato gun sequence appear at once, and not the text first and images second? And why does it appear to render from bottom of the screen to the top?"
Chrome sends the rendered page to the video card buffer all at once, which is why allrecipes.com appears at once, and not with the text first and images second. Chrome actually paints the page from top to bottom, but to eliminate a shadow from the driver board, we had to flip the monitor upside down and set the system preferences in Windows to rotate everything 180 degrees, resulting in the page appearing to render from bottom to top.
"Why does the top one third of the page appear first on the weather.com page load?"
Sometimes only half the buffer gets filled before the video card sends its buffer over to the LCD panel. This is because Chrome on Windows uses GDI to draw, which does not do v-sync.
"The screen wipes are so smooth - how was that achieved?"
The screen wipes up in a gradated wipe because LCD pixels take around 10ms to flip and gradually change color.
More filming details below:
Chrome Browser vs. Potato:
We used a version of the web page allrecipes.com that is accessible when logged in. About four hours into the Potato Gun shoot we decided to use a locally loaded version of the web page to enable more precise synchronization with the potato gun. We finally got the shot we were hoping for after 51 takes.
Chrome Browser vs. Sound:
We loaded an artist page from Pandora.com, a streaming internet radio service directly off the web on a 15Mbps internet connection.
Chrome Browser vs. Lightning:
We used a locally loaded version of weather.com that was legally approved for use in this video (and all the standard website permissions procedures that goes into making videos!)
While we had a super fast 15Mbps internet connection in the studio, any live internet connection introduces quite a bit of variability. To run speed tests on page rendering times, saving locally and loading from the local disk can help reduce this variability.
We'll be releasing the results of these speed tests:
Standard YouTube License
- 2:10 Google Chrome Speed Testsby Google Chrome8,709,203 views
- 0:31 Chrome starts fast (hammock)by Google Chrome2,072,229 views
- 0:45 Chrome Features - Speedby Google Chrome1,728,527 views
- 0:31 Chrome starts fast (pointer)by Google Chrome1,960,724 views
- 11:26 Android 2.2 (Froyo) Web Browser Speed Test (Flash On)by Pocketnow714,286 views
- 9:31 Lady Gaga - Telephone ft. Beyoncéby LadyGagaVEVO181,873,901 views
- 7:37 Potato Cannonby otakuman7061,701,321 views
- 3 videos Play all Browser Speed Test: Google Chrome in less than 15 seconds!by googlechrome
- 3:28 Behind the scenes at a McDonald's photo shootby McDonald's Canada9,392,765 views
- 7:47 *MAKING OF* LipDub - I Gotta Feeling (Comm-UQAM 2009) [English subtitles]by lucocl385,275 views
- 4:44 Avatar Exclusive -Behind The Scenes (The Art of Performance Capture)by Media Magik Entertainment1,289,824 views
- 3:16 Go Beyond The Cover: Behind the Scenesby DermablendPro7,832,252 views
- 7:33 The Making of Nissan Sentra SE-R Driftby nissancanada197,285 views
- 5:05 WICKETS - MATCH37 - IPL 2010 - CSK v MIby IPL112,560 views
- 4:00 "Q&A" from StoryCorpsby storycorps1,022,424 views
- 3:54 OK Go - This Too Shall Pass - Rube Goldberg Machine version - Officialby OK Go41,607,526 views
- 2:17 HTML 5 speed test: Internet Explorer 9 vs. Chrome 6by downloadsquad230,774 views
- 4:36 Behind The Scenes - World's Largest Rope Swingby devingraham1,044,041 views
- 3:28 How To Get Google Chrome OSby Tinkernut365,922 views
- 3:00 Shell Helix Ultra Transparent Car - The Making Ofby Paul Tan1,143,169 views