Teen and Guide Dog Beat the Odds - ABC News
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 6, 2012
Ohio teen Sami Stoner loves to run. But when a rare eye disease swiftly stole her vision, the tree-studded trails of cross country running became too dangerous to tackle.
Stoner has Stargardt's disease -- a hereditary form of macular degeneration that causes irreversible blindness.
At first, it seemed running would be yet another sacrifice for the 16-year-old, who will never be able to drive. But she found her way back into the race with a one-and-a-half-year-old golden retriever called Chloe.
"When one door closes, another one opens," said Stoner, a high school junior in Lexington, Ohio. "Even if you have a disability or you don't think you can do something, there's almost always a way."
Stoner met Chloe, a specially trained guide dog, in July at the Pilot Dogs facility in Columbus, Ohio. Tethered by a sturdy harness, the pair endured four weeks of intense training -- first walking and then running under close supervision.
Stoner already loved dogs, having grown up with Charlie -- a yellow lab she got for her fifth birthday. But learning to trust one as a guide was different.
"I've never bonded with even a person like that," said Stoner. "She knows she has to watch out for me. I can't imagine being without her now."
Stoner returned to Lexington with Chloe on Aug. 17 -- a bittersweet homecoming the day after 11-year-old Charlie passed away.
Although Chloe could safely guide Stoner through three miles of uneven terrain, one obstacle required outside help: Ohio High School Athletic Association rules barred Stoner from participating in cross country runs with a dog.
"There's never been a blind athlete with a dog sanctioned to compete," said John Harris, director of athletics for Lexington Local Schools.
Harris urged the association to allow Stoner and Chloe to run. Eventually, they said yes -- with some stipulations. Stoner has to start 20 seconds after the other runners. And while she's allowed to pass them, and she does, she can't impede them.
With the Association's OK, Stoner and Chloe raced the following day on Sept. 17. In three meets since, the pair wearing purple bibs with the number 507 has bettered their time.
"We had to make Chloe her own little jersey because she's a runner too," Stoner said.
Chloe knows she's part of the Lexington team, rising up on her hind legs and barking during pre-race cheers. But when guiding Stoner through a bumpy trail or a busy street, she's all business.
Standard YouTube License
- 46:40 The Boy Who Sees Without Eyesby DocuFilmTV481,435 views
- 45:58 Most Aggressive Breedsby NatGeoWild1,869,066 views
- 1:56 Guide Dog Saves Instructors Lifeby KRON 49,412 views
- 4:33 Guide Dog Puppiesby NatGeoWild7,733 views
- 1:38 Runner helps rival runner at Stateby Benjamin Rife182,277 views
- 22:59 News coverage of NY city blind man & his guide dogby Mediadisdat11,446 views
- 6:15 Hester A Guide Dog Puppy's Taleby puppywalk4guidedogs32,100 views
- 3:41 Blind Dog Living in a Trash Pile Gets the Most Beautiful Rescue - The End is Amazingby macbros3,353,065 views
- 6:28 GEB Guide Dog Salty and Omar Rivera at WTC on 9/11by ers54va24,291 views
- 5:26 Amputee Gymnast is back on mat, cancer freeby druidhills20051,396 views
- 34:43 Nonstop Funny dogs & catsby prasonglucky9,148,763 views
- 3:07 Puppy In Training TV - Ep16 - Guide Dog Pups Visit The Fire Stationby PuppyInTraining1,869 views
- 2:15 Blind Golden Retriever gets Guide Dogby CNN113,101 views
- 2:46 One of the most courageous things you will ever see on a running track ! In my opinionby Mark Mountford3,988,588 views
- 8:24 Jill and her Guide Dogby ATlabStaff5,091 views
- 1:38 !!BLIND DOG HAS OWN SEEING-EYE DOG!!by SHARKSWHALESANIMALS8,080 views
- 2:55 What Happens When A Blind Person Gets Drunk?by TommyEdisonXP110,024 views
- 2:10 Seeing-Eye Dog Helps Legally Blind Teen At Schoolby CBSNews27,841 views
- 2:00 Can Blind People Open Their Eyes?by TommyEdisonXP593,394 views
- 1:45 Too Cute! - The Making of a Guide Dogby Animal Planet129,481 views
- Loading more suggestions...