How to Choose Healthy Snacks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 15, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Healthy Eating videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/204-Hea...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Eating between meals can actually be good for you -- as long as you select your mini-meals wisely.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Count calories
Watch the numbers: A snack shouldn't have more than 200 calories.
Step 2: Follow the 35-10-35 rule
Choose an item that gets no more than 35 percent of its calories from fat, no more than 10 percent of its calories from saturated fat, and is no more than 35 percent sugar by weight. Fruits, cheese, nuts, and seeds are exempt.
Beware of snacks marked "fat-free." They're often loaded with sugar or sodium.
Step 3: Include protein
Make sure the snack includes protein, which keeps you feeling full longer than carbohydrates alone.
Step 4: Make it high fiber
Choose cereal and protein bars that are high in fiber -- at least 3 grams per serving. Fiber helps the body digest food and metabolize fat.
Step 5: Watch the sodium
Take it easy on the salt, an excess of which can lead to high blood pressure. Stick to snacks that provide less than 450 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Step 6: Choose protein bars carefully
Avoid protein bars that have more than 15 grams of sugar or 5 grams of fat -- they're not much better than candy bars.
Step 7: Watch your diet
Factor in the calorie counts of your snacks once you sit down to a regular meal. Even the healthiest snacks can add pounds if you don't compensate for them elsewhere!
Did You Know?
In one survey, women listed chips as their number one workplace snack food, followed by chocolate and candy bars.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:18 How to Eat Healthy Snacks on a Dietby Howcast Featured 22,451
- 2:41 How to Feed Your Family Healthy Meals on a Tight Budgetby Howcast213,051 views
- 2:10 How to Follow a Healthy Diet by Reading Nutrition Labelsby Howcast19,330 views
- 2:05 How to Eat Healthy from Vending Machinesby Howcast26,891 views
- 16:03 THE 10 BEST FAT LOSS SNACKSby leansecrets776,583 views
- 4:12 GMA 200 CALORIE MEALSby S. J. Greenstein16,563 views
- 12:50 Top 10 Healthy, Alkalizing Foods for Energy, PsycheTruth Nutrition & Weight Lossby PsycheTruth163,323 views
- 5:11 The Best Juice Recipe for Fat Loss and Ultimate Health - Get 6 Pack Abs Fasterby Sixpackfactory.com101,305 views
- 12:04 Top 6 Worst Breakfast Foods & Healthy Alternatives for Nutrition & Weight Lossby PsycheTruth376,328 views
- 5:17 Quick and Easy Recipes: Healthy Snack Ideasby Whitney Wilson72,453 views
- 2:05 How to Boost Your Immune Systemby Howcast29,319 views
- 1:39 How to Develop Healthy Eating Habitsby Howcast382,808 views
- 4:39 Healthy Snacks On the Goby Diana Kaaha20,148 views
- 13:06 Super Healthy Saladby sanjeevkapoorkhazana63,260 views
- 2:05 How to Make Healthy After-School Snacks Your Kids Will Eatby Howcast89,781 views
- 2:29 How to Eat Your Way to Better Skinby Howcast102,441 views
- 1:51 How to Make Homemade Doughnutsby Howcast1,300,158 views
- 1:55 How to Make the Perfect Sandwichby Howcast432,140 views
- 1:24 How to Use Peanut Butter in Unusual Waysby Howcast278,506 views
- 2:27 How to Follow a Heart-Healthy Dietby Howcast27,394 views
- Loading more suggestions...