[HD] Nationwide 2013 Crash at Daytona Beach - Horrific Crash Injures Fans
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 23, 2013
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- As emergency workers tended to injured fans and ambulance sirens wailed in the background, a sombre Tony Stewart skipped the traditional post-race victory celebration following the NASCAR Nationwide Series race Saturday at Daytona International Speedway.
A last-lap accident sent rookie Kyle Larson's car sailing into the fence that separates the track from the seats, and large chunks of Larson's car landed in the grandstands. The car itself had its entire front end sheared off, with a piece of burning engine wedged through a gaping hole in the fence.
Neither NASCAR nor Daytona International Speedway officials had any immediate comment on potential injuries.
"There obviously was some intrusion into the fence and fortunately with the way the event's equipped up, there were plenty of emergency workers ready to go and they all jumped in on it pretty quickly," said NASCAR President Mike Helton. "Right now, it's just a function of determining what all damage is done. They're moving folks, as we've seen, to care centres and take some folks over to Halifax Medical."
Stewart, who won for the 19th time at Daytona and seventh time in the last nine season-opening Nationwide races, was in no mood to celebrate.
"The important thing is what going on on the frontstretch right now," said Stewart, the three-time NASCAR champion. "We've always known, and since racing started, this is a dangerous sport. But it's hard. We assume that risk, but it's hard when the fans get caught up in it.
"So as much as we want to celebrate right now and as much as this is a big deal to us, I'm more worried about the drivers and the fans that are in the stands right now because that was ... I could see it all in my mirror, and it didn't look good from where I was at."
The accident spread into the upper deck and emergency crews treated fans on both levels. There were five stretchers that appeared to be carrying fans out, and a helicopter flew overhead. A forklift was used to pluck Larson's engine out of the fence, and there appeared to be a tire in the stands.
Daytona President Joie Chitwood waited by steps as emergency workers attended to those in the stands. Across the track, fans pressed against a fence and used binoculars trying to watch. Wrecked cars and busted parts were strewn across the garage.
"It's a violent wreck. Just seeing the carnage on the racetrack, it's truly unbelievable," driver Justin Allgaier said.
It was a chaotic finish to a race that was stopped nearly 20 minutes five laps from the finish by a 13-car accident that sent driver Michael Annett to a local hospital for further evaluation. NASCAR said Annett was awake and alert.
The race resumed with three laps to go, and the final accident occurred with Regan Smith leading as he headed out of the final turn to the checkered flag. He admittedly tried to block Brad Keselowski to preserve the win.
"I tried to throw a block, it's Daytona, you want to go for the win here," Smith said. "I don't know how you can play it any different other than concede second place, and I wasn't willing to do that today. Our job is to put them in position to win, and it was, and it didn't work out."
As the cars began wrecking all around Smith and Keselowski, Stewart slid through for the win, but Larson plowed into Keselowski and his car was sent airborne into the stands. When Larson's car came to a stop, it was missing its entire front end. The 20-year-old, who made his Daytona debut this week, stood apparently stunned, hands on his hips, several feet away from his car, before finally making the mandatory trip to the care centre.
He later said his first thought was with the fans.
"I hope all the fans are OK and all the drivers are all right," Larson said. "I took a couple big hits there and saw my engine was gone. Just hope everybody's all right."
He said he was along for the ride in the last-lap accident.
"I was getting pushed from behind, I felt like, and by the time my spotter said lift or go low, it was too late," Larson said. "I was in the wreck and then felt like it was slowing down and I looked like I could see the ground. Had some flames come in the cockpit, but luckily I was all right and could get out of the car quick."
It appeared fans were lined right along the fence when Larson's car sailed up and into it.
Keselowski watched a replay of the final accident, but said his first thoughts were with the fans. As for the accident, he agreed he tried to make a winning move and Smith tried to block.
"He felt like that's what he had to do, and that's his right. The chaos comes with it," Keselowski said. "I made the move and he blocked it, and the two of us got together and started the chain events that caused that wreck. First and foremost, just want to make sure everyone in the stands is OK and we're thinking about them."
Keselowski said the incident could cast a pall on Sunday's season-opening Daytona 500.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:29 Daytona 2013 Accident, Parts Fly!!!! FAN VIDEO 02/23/13 NASCAR Wreck failby tvjabFeatured 31,595
- 10:14 Undeniable Proof a Plane did NOT Hit the Pentagon on 9/11 ~ 1/8by ☠Realize Lies☠ 361,099 views
- 4:01 Huge wreck injures fans on last lap of race at Daytona - NASCAR News FOX Sports on MSN.mp4by Don Jeffrey 4,352 views
- 1:49 Fans injured in car crash at Daytona Speedway- Feb 23-2013by REALVIDEOS 5,921 views
- 5:32 28 Spectators Injured! Video From The Bleachers Of NASCAR Crash At Daytonaby UNFAIR & BIASED 265,387 views
- 28:25 Prostitutes of God (Documentary)by vice 1,143,825 views
- 3:12 NASCAR DAYTONA BEACH Scary car crash at Daytona 2013by milan tanushevski 3,546 views
- 0:30 2013 Daytona Nationwide Crash last lapby TheMegaJerm 28,159 views
- 0:46 HARD CRASH FINAL AT NASCAR NATIONWIDE DAYTONA 2013by Canal de RCAMARGO379 2,671 views
- 0:40 Scary NASCAR Crash Injures Fansby Juan Toribio 2,967 views
- 9:54 1952 Nascar Daytona Beach Raceby Rob's Vintage Game Room 39,676 views
- 3:08 NASCAR Crash At Daytona MANY INJURIES Drive 4 COPD 300 UPDATE [NASCAR INJURIES 2013]by MercenaryMan_M³ 7,257 views
- 1:06 Daytona final lap Crash Video fans injured (Nationwide Race) 02/23/2013by Viralvideos2013 4,677 views
- 1:11 Fan Video Captures Crash At NASCAR Daytonaby Sams sam 27,971 views
- 0:56 Huge crash Daytona Nationwide Race - Tire goes in stands - 2013 2/23/13by nastruck14 11,064 views
- 10:18 Bikini Contest - Spring Break Nationals Daytona Beach 2013by BNLVideocreations 33,094 views
- 2:03 Daytona race Crash todayby Gail Zeolla 43,793 views
- 1:47 Daytona 500 crash sends car parts flying, injuring fans. At Least 28 Injured!by Real Hip Hop Newz updatez 3,523 views
- 2:58 2013 Daytona NASCAR Nationwide HUGE Crash on Last Lapby RaceShotsResource 183,445 views
- 0:52 Daytona Crash Feb 23, 2013 - Nationwide Race Saturday at Daytonaby 101rupesh's channel 36,255 views
- Loading more suggestions...