WikiLeaks Whistleblower Bradley Manning Says He Wanted to Show the Public the "True Costs of War"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 1, 2013
http://www.democracynow.org - For the first time, 25-year-old U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning has admitted to being the source behind the largest leak of state secrets in U.S. history. More than a thousand days after he was arrested, Manning testified Thursday before a military court. He said he leaked the classified documents to the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks in order to show the American public the "true costs of war." Reading for more than an hour from a 35-page statement, Manning said: "I believed that if the general public, especially the American public, had access to the information ... this could spark a domestic debate on the role of the military and our foreign policy in general." At the pre-trial hearing at Fort Meade military base in Maryland, Manning pleaded guilty to reduced charges on 10 counts, which carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. But even if the judge accepts the plea, prosecutors can still pursue a court-martial on the remaining 12 charges. The most serious of those is "aiding the enemy" and carries a possible life sentence. We are joined by Michael Ratner, president emeritus of the Center for Constitutional Rights and a lawyer to Julian Assange and WikiLeaks. He just returned from attending Manning's hearing.
To watch more Democracy Now! reports about Bradley Manning, visit http://www.democracynow.org/topics/br....
Democracy Now!, an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on 1,100+ TV and radio stations Monday through Friday.
FOLLOW DEMOCRACY NOW! ONLINE:
Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/democracynow
Listen on SoundCloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/democracynow
Daily Email News Digest: http://www.democracynow.org/subscribe
Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today, visit http://www.democracynow.org/donate/YT
Standard YouTube License
- 38:48 EXCLUSIVE: Julian Assange on WikiLeaks, Bradley Manning, Cypherpunks, Surveillance Stateby democracynow12,005 views
- 10:26 Pandora's Lunchbox: Pulling Back the Curtain On How Processed Food Took Over the American Mealby democracynow5,203 views
- 11:50 Glenn Greenwald on Bradley Manning: Prosecutor Overreach Could Turn All Whistleblowing Into Treasonby democracynow2,541 views
- 5:16 Noam Chomsky on Ron Paul's 9/11 Theories: "What He Said Is Completely Uncontroversial"by democracynow231,097 views
- 1:56:37 WikiLeaks : LEAKED - U.N. Briefing On Alien God Arrivalby EmpiricalData752,799 views
- 15:55 Bradley Manning Heads for Trial; No One Charged for Murdered Civiliansby TheRealNews60,996 views
- 7:01 Lt Dan Choi Thrown Out Of Bradley Manning Courtroom In Handcuffs & Injured By Military Policeby MOXNEWSd0tC0M40,527 views
- 1:03:35 WhistleBlower Head of FBI tells all from NWOby gkossatzgmxde90,195 views
- 15:42 The War You Don't See: Wikileaksby WikiLeaks14,926 views
- 1:16:20 CIA Whistleblower: Obama's Plans To Destroy US And Seize Power; 70 Agency DHS To Enforce Martial Lawby Bobby Powell83,109 views
- 24:03 'US citizen has no right to free speech?' State Dept spokesperson grilled over Snowdenby RT177,384 views
- 12:25 Bradley Manningby SBS Dateline33,026 views
- 11:15 CNN's Shameful Journalism - Glenn Greenwald vs CNN - WikiLeaks Debateby paulboat6760,569 views
- 5:37 RON PAUL on WikiLeaks - WOW! He's RIGHT!by gvloanguy86,144 views
- 45:02 WikiLeaks - The Forgotten Manby Luke McMahon23,151 views
- 1:45 iPhone, Blackberry and Gmail users are all screwed - A must watch videoby Lenin Dev272,830 views
- 42:56 Edward Snowden, A Truth Unveiled (Documentary)by BytezAutomations290,602 views
- 13:12 Julian Assange on Bill Maherby kingflurkel158,384 views
- 11:17 Bradley Manning's Testimony LEAKEDby The Young Turks117,575 views
- 50:55 The Wikileaks Documentary -- Full Versionby seattle4truth752,566 views
- Loading more suggestions...