Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (VH1 Beat-Club - Musikladen Show)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 27, 2011
PLEASE NOTE: I divided my uploads between multiple channels, Bookmark this link in your browser for instant access to an index with links to all of John1948's oldies classics. LINK: http://tinyurl.com/Channel-Index
William Martin "Billy" Joel (born May 9, 1949) is an American musician and pianist, singer-songwriter, and classical composer. Since releasing his first hit song, "Piano Man", in 1973, Joel has become the sixth best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States, according to the RIAA.
Joel had Top 40 hits in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s; achieving 33 Top 40 hits in the United States, all of which he wrote singlehandedly. He is also a six-time Grammy Award winner, a 23-time Grammy nominee and has sold over 150 million records worldwide. He was inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame (1992), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1999), the Long Island Music Hall of Fame (2006) and the Hit Parade Hall of Fame (2009). Joel "retired" from recording pop music in 1993 but continues to tour (often with Elton John).
Joel was born in The Bronx, New York and raised in Hicksville, New York. His father, Howard (born Helmuth), was born in Germany as the son of German-Jewish merchant and manufacturer Karl Amson Joel who, after the advent of the Nazi regime, emigrated to Switzerland and later to the United States. Billy Joel's mother, Rosalind Nyman, was born in England to a Jewish family (Philip and Rebecca Nyman). His parents divorced in 1960, and his father moved to Vienna, Austria. Billy has a sister, Judith Joel, and a half-brother, Alexander Joel, who is an acclaimed classical conductor in Europe, currently chief musical director of the Staatstheater Braunschweig.
Joel's father was an accomplished classical pianist. Billy reluctantly began piano lessons at an early age, at his mother's insistence; his teachers included the noted American pianist Morton Estrin and musician/songwriter Timothy Ford. His interest in music, rather than sports, was a source of teasing and bullying in his early years. (He has said in interviews that his piano instructor also taught ballet. Her name was Frances Neiman, and she was a Juilliard trained musician. She gave both classic piano and ballet lessons in the studio attached to the rear of her house, leading neighborhood bullies to mistakenly think he was learning to dance.) As a teenager, Joel took up boxing so that he would be able to defend himself. He boxed successfully on the amateur Golden Gloves circuit for a short time, winning twenty-two bouts, but abandoned the sport shortly after having his nose broken in his twenty-fourth boxing match.
Joel attended Hicksville High School, class of 1967. Joel however did not graduate from Hicksville. Due to playing at a piano bar, he was one English credit short of the graduation requirement; he overslept on the day of an important exam, owing to his late-night musician's lifestyle. He left high school without a diploma to begin a career in music. "I told them, 'the hell with it. If I'm not going to Columbia University, I'm going to Columbia Records and you don't need a high school diploma over there'." Columbia did, in fact, become the label that eventually signed him. In 1992, he submitted essays to the school board and was awarded his diploma at Hicksville High's annual graduation ceremony, 25 years after he had left.
Upon seeing The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, Joel decided to pursue a full-time musical career, and set about finding a local Long Island band to join. Eventually he found the Echoes, a group that specialized in British Invasion covers. The Echoes became a popular New York attraction, convincing him to leave high school to become a professional musician. He began playing for the Echoes when he was 14 years old.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:31 Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic outtakesby stoots24 Featured 24,326
- 10:00 Billy Joel 1980 Interview 1 of 2by coolvideo7660,911 views
- 7:35 Billy Joel - New York State Of Mind (VH1 Beat-Club - Musikladen Show)by John1948TwoA12,934 views
- 4:41 121212 SANDY RELIEF CONCERT - BILLY JOEL - MIAMI 2017 (SEEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT ON BROADWAY)by esemfe5,883 views
- 4:38 Miami 2017by JoelFan139,823 views
- Billy Joel 40,613 videos82
- 3:39 Billy Joel - Only The Good Die Young (VH1 Beat-Club - Musikladen Show)by John1948TwoA111,193 views
- 4:31 Billy Joel - Say Goodbye To Hollywood (VH1 Beat-Club - Musikladen Show)by John1948TwoA145,292 views
- 7:22 Billy Joel Live From Long Island 1982 Italian Restaurant 9by Tim Baeckelandt4,394 views
- 3:58 Billy Joel Live From Long Island 1982 Movin' Out Anthony's Song 7by Tim Baeckelandt18,349 views
- 4:32 Miami 2017 (Iv'e seen the lights go down on Broadway)by Pablo Argüelles171,443 views
- 3:48 Billy Joel Live From Long Island 1982 Allentown 1by Tim Baeckelandt14,302 views
- 5:19 Billy Joel - The Ballad of Billy the Kid -1976by coolvideo76158,748 views
- 3:52 Billy Joel - Only The Good Die Youngby John1948TwoA12,163 views
- 3:43 Tony Bennett and Billy Joel "New York State of Mind"by SerpentineXtra69,728 views
- 3:08 Billy Joel 1973 You're My Homeby KOUJI328E17,731 views
- 10:13 Billy Joel - Captain Jack [Live - 12-5-76]by live2cd93,727 views
- 9:54 Billy Joel - Masterclass Concert 2001 (Pt.1 of 12)by billyjoelforever59,384 views
- 4:51 Billy Joel "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)"by jetvane55245,026 views
- 3:16 Billy Joel - She's Alway A Woman (VH1 Beat-Club - Musikladen Show)by John1948TwoA13,694 views