Video: NPR Analyst Says Airline Passengers in 'Muslim Garb' Make Him 'Nervous'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 20, 2010
Action: Ask NPR to Address Analyst's Remarks on Muslims
Juan Williams says airline passengers in 'Muslim garb' make him 'nervous'
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 10/20/10) -- CAIR is calling on American Muslims and other people of conscience to ask National Public Radio (NPR) to address analyst Juan Williams' statement that airline passengers in "Muslim garb" make him "nervous." (Williams is a news analyst for both NPR and Fox News.)
SEE: Juan Williams - News Analyst
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR's E-Mail List
Subscribe to CAIR's Twitter Feed
During an appearance Monday on Fox's "O'Reilly Factor," Williams backed Bill O'Reilly's recent claim that "Muslims killed us on 9/11" and then said: "[W]hen I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."
Video: NPR Analyst Says 'Muslim Garb' Make Him 'Nervous'
"NPR should address the fact that one of its news analysts seems to believe that all airline passengers who are perceived to be Muslim can legitimately be viewed as security threats," said CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad. "Such irresponsible and inflammatory comments would not be tolerated if they targeted any other racial, ethnic or religious minority, and they should not pass without action by NPR."
He noted that media commentators who launch rhetorical attacks on Islam and Muslims normally do not suffer the professional consequences of those who similarly target other racial, ethnic or religious groups.
SEE: Anti-Muslim Rhetoric Triggers Little Fallout (ABC)
Awad said CAIR publishes a pocket guide, called "Your Rights and Responsibilities as an American Muslim," with a section that deals with the right of airline passengers to "courteous, respectful and non-stigmatizing treatment by airline and security personnel."
SEE: Know Your Legal Rights as an Airline Passenger
CAIR recently announced the launch of a department devoted to addressing the alarming rise of Islamophobic sentiment in American society.
SEE: CAIR Launches Islamophobia Dept. at Sold-Out Banquet
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be firm, but POLITE.)
CONTACT NPR to urge them to address analyst Juan Williams' statement that airline passengers in "Muslim garb" make him "nervous."
During an appearance Monday on Fox's "O'Reilly Factor," NPR News Analyst Juan Williams backed Bill O'Reilly's recent claim that "Muslims killed us on 9/11" and then said: "[W]hen I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."
Such irresponsible and inflammatory comments would not be tolerated if they targeted any other racial, ethnic or religious minority, and they should not pass without action by NPR.
I respectfully request that your network take appropriate action in response to Mr. Williams intolerant comments.
Ms. Vivian Schiller
President and CEO
National Public Radio
635 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, D.C., 20001
E-Mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Copy to: email@example.com
Web Contact Form: http://help.npr.org/npr/includes/cust...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:23 Vivian Schiller -- Juan Williams_0001.wmvby LeonardWittFeatured 4,011
- 10:56 Video: CAIR Rep Debates Juan Williams' Firing on Foxby CAIRtv 18,889 views
- 2:55 Video: CAIR-MI Rep Challenges FBI Report on Imam's Killingby CAIRtv 1,767 views
- 6:23 Video: Bill O'Reilly vs. CAIR Spokesman on Profilingby CAIRtv 17,896 views
- 2:00 CAIR-WA Video: Hate Crime Charges Filed in Attack on Muslim Womenby CAIRtv 9,906 views
- 7:29 MUSLIM CONVERTS TO CHRISTIANITY AND SAYS ALLAH IS NOT THE GOD OF THE BIBLEby GOSPELNAVIGATOR 27,180 views
- 5:12 Bill O'Reilly vs. Deepak Chopra On '' The Muslim Problem ''by iwanttomarrycarrie 45,291 views
- 8:26 Brigitte Gabriel and Bill O'Reilly slams Islamby IslamicReformation 89,211 views
- 1:26 NPR fires Juan Williams over Fox News Muslim Commentsby GreatPitchMedia 16,327 views
- 19:51 Howard Stern Interviews Bill O'Reilly Live - Classic Revealing Interviewby NewsHunter29 5,380 views
- 4:59 Juan Williams: First Comments After Being Fired by NPR!by johnny dollar 175,018 views
- 0:59 CNN:Muslim family kicked off planeby RickyPipez 6,008 views
- 0:38 Lib Pundit Juan Williams When I see people in Muslim garb on airplanes I get nervousby kkp5200 1,869 views
- 6:26 Beheading in Islam - The O'Reilly Factorby 1001Phoenix 9,049 views
- 2:20 Juan Williams Fired By NPR for Remarks He Made About Muslims on the Bill O'Reilly FOX News Showby ConservativeNewMedia 17,633 views
- 6:29 Bill O'Reilly Losing It When His Guests Won't Agree With Himby AmericasRealTruth 7,453 views
- 5:45 Sarah Palin says America is a Christian Nation on Bill O'Reillyby derektran32 20,675 views
- 2:26 The Muslim Mosque and the Pig Farm Next Doorby its2die4 12,515 views
- 1:47 The Words That Got Juan Williams Fired From NPRby Greg Hengler 20,046 views
- 6:48 US a Muslim Nation?by beltwayjunky 4,238 views
- Loading more suggestions...