WoodyAllenJesus by Tim Minchin (on Jonathan Ross)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 22, 2011
This song was meant to air on the Jonathan Ross Show on 23rd December 2011, but at the last minute ITV cut it! Here's my whiney blog about it (originally published at www.timminchin.com):
I really like Jonathan Ross. I think he's a funny, interesting, kind person, and an excellent interviewer. I also really like his wife... But let's not get back into that.
Jonathan and his wonderful producer, Suzi, have been incredibly supportive of me and so when they asked me to write a song for their pre-Christmas show, I didn't hesitate. It was the worst possible time to be writing a new song -- I've been overworked and ill, was on tour, and was really feeling the stress. But I wasn't going to say no... it's Jonathan Ross! And my fellow guests were to be Tom Cruise, the divine actors from Downton Abbey, and the ace In-Betweeners boys.
So I got to writing. Being Christmas, I thought it would be fun to do a song about Jesus, but being TV, I knew it would have to be gentle. The idea was to compare him to Woody Allen (short, Jewish, philosophical, a bit hesitant), and expand into redefining his other alleged attributes using modern, popular-culture terminology.
It's not a particularly original idea, I admit, but it's quite cute. It's certainly not very contentious, but even so, compliance people and producers and lawyers all checked my lyrics long before the cameras rolled. As always with these bespoke writing jobs, I was really stressed for about 3 days, and almost chucked it in the bin 5 times, and freaked out that it wasn't funny and all that boring shit that people like me go through when we're lucky enough to have with a big audience with high expectations. And if I'm honest, it ain't a world-changing bit of comedy. Regardless...
On Tuesday night last week, we taped the show. I met Tom (he's nice and quite laid-back off camera, and not very short) and the divine Downton ladies (swoon) and the lovely In-Betweeners chaps (yay) and I did my song and everyone laughed and Tom said it was great and when it was done I ran off set onto the back of a waiting motorbike, got from South Bank to the Hammersmith Apollo in 13 minutes, walked into the building, straight on to stage to sing White Wine in the Sun with Professor Brian Cox. Rock n roll.
Subsequently, Suzi and her team edited the show and everybody was happy. Suzi felt it had a nice balance of big-ticket celeb action, local talent, and a nice bit of that cheeky, iconoclastic spirit for which Jonathan is known and widely loved.
And then someone got nervous and sent the tape to ITV's director of television, Peter Fincham.
And Peter Fincham demanded that I be cut from the show.
He did this because he's scared of the ranty, shit-stirring, right-wing press, and of the small minority of Brits who believe they have a right to go through life protected from anything that challenges them in any way.
Yesterday I wrote a big rant about comedy and risk and conservatism; about the fact that my joke has no victim; about sacredness (oh God, not again!) and about the importance of laughing at dumb but pervasive ideas. But I trashed it because it's boring and takes it all too seriously. It's hardly the end of the world.
But I have to admit I'm really fucking disappointed.
It's 2011. The appropriate reaction to people who think Jesus is a supernatural being is mild embarrassment, sighing tolerance and patient education.
And anger when they're being bigots.
Oh, and satire. There's always satire.
Anywaaaaaaaaaay... the fun news is that I already had the footage of the song when they cut it. Yay. And so you can decide for yourself how offensive it is! Yippee.
I hope you enjoy my silly, harmless, accurate song of praise, "Woody Allen Jesus".
And I hope you all have wonderful Christmases.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - WoodyAllenJesus by Tim Minchin (on Jonathan Ross)
- 4:58 Tim Minchin - The Good Book (Live)by BestOfTimMinchin Featured 299,362
- 3:54 5 Poofs and 2 Pianos by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin1,661,646 views
- 6:44 Prejudice by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin5,134,651 views
- 4:49 You Grew On Me by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin911,823 views
- 5:00 Angry (Feet) by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin209,563 views
- 13:29 Tim Minchin - Dark Side (Awesome Version)by BestOfTimMinchin1,055,267 views
- 12:59 Tim Minchin - If I Didn't Have You - Full Uncut Versionby BestOfTimMinchin667,973 views
- 4:22 Tim Minchin - Woody Allen Jesusby Tim Minchin249,061 views
- 3:56 If You Really Loved Me by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin767,052 views
- 6:54 Not Perfect by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin938,385 views
- 5:29 Reggie Watts This Is About Avatarby sloppyjoeska237,146 views
- 4:29 Tim Minchin on human logicby dizcourage825,366 views
- 14 videos Play all Blasphemyby santora1957
- 4:28 Tim Minchin: Ten Foot C*ck And A Few Hundred Virginsby TimMinchinLive2,493,591 views
- 3:44 Tim Minchin - Some people have it worse than Iby Shanna Hendrix1,947,200 views
- 7:25 Tim Minchin & Ed Sheeran - Prejudiceby AlfaJones222,617 views
- 2:31 Tim Minchin - The Pope Songby sloppyjoeska1,053,571 views
- 11:00 Religion - Tim Minchinby FSMGauss491,419 views
- 3:08 Nothing Ruins Comedy by Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin396,974 views
- 11:04 Thank You God - Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin926,790 views