Haymarket Martyrs--Origin of International Workers Day Pt 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 11, 2008
Part 1. Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) looks at one of the incidents that gave rise to International Workers Day--May 1 or Mayday.
The video only deals with the Haymarket Square confrontation with police and the aftermath where eight labor leaders were charged with murder. Four were hanged, one committed suicide and three had their sentences commuted.
Labor organizers had called a national strike for an eight-hour work day on May 1, 1886. In Chicago, workers held a parade and rally with over 80,000 participants.
On May 3, 1886, striking employees of the McCormick Reaper Works clashed with replacement workers. Police retaliated against the striking employees, killing two.
On May 4th, 1886, a rally of anarchists and labor activists in Chicago's Haymarket Square in support of the McCormick strikers turned deadly. An unknown assailant tossed a bomb into a throng of riot police who were advancing on the rally, killing one instantly. In the chaos that erupted, seven policemen were killed, sixty injured, and civilian casualties were likely as high.
The eight men were arrested and charged with murder at Haymarket. Though they all opposed Chicago's elite businessmen, whom they believed stood for "starvation of the masses, privileges and luxury for the few," the eight held very different ideas about what action to take. Some advocated change through violence, while others believed progress could come via social engineering. Despite their different beliefs, the trial, convictions and sentencing that followed would unite these "Haymarket Eight" in history.
At a convention of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) in 1888 the union decided to campaign for the eight-hour day once again. May 1, 1890 was agreed upon as the date on which workers would strike for an eight-hour work day and to commemorate the earlier fight for an eight hour day.
In 1889 AFL president Samuel Gompers wrote to the first congress of the Second International, which was meeting in Paris. He informed the world's socialists of the AFL's plans and proposed an international fight for a universal eight-hour work day.
In response to Gompers's letter the Second International adopted a resolution calling for "a great international demonstration" on a single date so workers everywhere could demand the eight-hour work day.
In light of the Americans' plan, the International adopted May 1, 1890 as the date for this demonstration. It has been celebrated around the world as Mayday--International Workers Day-- ever since.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:01 The Homestead Steel Strike of 1892by JOHNFITZAMH202014,207 views
- 9:54 Democracy Now! Origins of May Day Pt 1by atulocal6893,451 views
- 12:38 International Workers' Day in Cambodiaby Khmer Post1,796 views
- 11:00 Buddhagem Speaks with Noam Chomsky on May Day, 2009 (1/4)by Chomskyan6,137 views
- 8:55 Democracy Now! Origins of May Day Pt 3by atulocal689779 views
- 7:38 Democracy Now! Origins of May Day Pt 2by atulocal689992 views
- 29 videos Play all Filmsby tjbarberproductions
- 9:54 The Molly Maguires: The Life Of A Tragic Historyby Alex Petyerak8,463 views
- 9:55 RSU History: Haymarket Affair [1/5]by UVURSU429 views
- 25:25 London International Workers' Day March & Rally 1st May 2012 Labour Day May Day День трудаby WestEndNews753 views
- 28:25 Immigration Through Ellis Island - Award Winning Documentary Video Filmby rosaryfilms328,502 views
- 5:51 The Haymarket Tragedyby Greg Guma11,300 views
- 9:51 The Eight-Hour Day Part 1by radiohogan807 views
- 5:49 Financial Panic of 1873by theGetRealGuy5,090 views
- 11:18 May Day - International Workers Day - What is it all about?by Fourman Films475 views
- 5:17 Haymarket Martyrs ~ Origins of International Workers Day Pt 3by KoriSoenarko81 views
- 4:51 Workplace Health and Safety History, to the 1920sby markdcatlin100,419 views
- 3:31 Free Speech and the IWWby OttOmOlOtOv10,072 views
- 3:14 History of the Holidays: Labor Dayby HISTORY16,462 views
- 8:08 Supreme Court Approves Wagner Actby danieljbmitchell8,750 views