THREADS (Nuclear War)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 17, 2011
Threads was aired on 1984, one Sunday night at 9pm to an unsuspecting UK TV audience, it single handedly put the nation off the nuclear war effort and was then quitely removed from the archives until 2002. Threads redefines the word grim and is hard to imagine what sort of impact this would have had on its viewers given its from an era in TV when there was only 4 channels and a Mary Whitehouse mentality towards censorship.
On the plus side it shows that the BBC were once brave and did care about quality programming that dealt with factual real life issues, you know stuff people really needed know.
The full length version was posted 4 years ago on Google Video, as that website is being closed I decided to upload the full film to YouTube.
Threads is a British television drama produced by the BBC in 1984. Written by Barry Hines and directed by Mick Jackson, it is a documentary-style account of a nuclear war and its effects on the city of Sheffield in northern England.
Filmed in late 1983 and early 1984, the primary plot centres on two families: the Kemps and the Becketts — as an international crisis between the United States and the Soviet Union erupts and escalates. As the United Kingdom prepares for war, the members of each family deal with their own personal crises. Meanwhile, a secondary plot centered upon Clive J. Sutton, the Chief Executive of Sheffield City Council serves to illustrate for the viewer the United Kingdom government's then-current continuity of government arrangements. As open warfare between NATO and the USSR-led Warsaw Pact begins, the harrowing details of the characters' struggle to survive the attacks is dramatically depicted. The balance of the film details the fate of each family as the characters face the medical, economic, social, and environmental consequences of a nuclear war. Both the plot and the atmosphere of the film are extremely bleak.
Threads was first broadcast on BBC Two on 23 September 1984. It was repeated on BBC One on 1 August 1985 as part of a week of programmes marking the fortieth anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which also saw the first television screening of The War Game (which had been deemed too disturbing for television in the 20 years since it had been made). Threads was not shown again on British screens until the digital channel BBC Four broadcast it in October 2003.
Threads was broadcast in the USA on cable network Superstation TBS on January 13, 1985, followed by a panel discussion on nuclear war. It was also shown on PBS stations as part of fund raising drives.
Threads was broadcast in Australia on the Nine Network on 19 June 1985. Unusually for a commercial network, it broadcast the film without commercial breaks.
 AwardsThreads was nominated for seven BAFTA awards in 1985. It won for Best Design, Best Film Cameraman, Best Film Editor, and Best Single Drama. Its other nominations were for Best Costume Design, Best Make-Up, and Best Film Sound.
 Video and DVD releasesThreads was originally released by BBC Video (on VHS and, for a very short period, Betamax) in 1987 (catalogue number BBCV4071) in the United Kingdom but soon went out of print and became a much sought-after item in the 1990s.
A DVD release appeared in the United Kingdom in 2000 on the Revelation label followed by a re-release in 2005.
Some video and DVD versions of the programme omitted the use of Chuck Berry's song "Johnny B. Goode" for copyright reasons.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Lazarus Blackstar" on
- 1:40:48 By Dawns Early Lightby Ben AfflackFeatured 69,638
- 2:06:44 The Day After (1983) - Full, Original 1.75:1 Aspect Ratioby Mike M 3,749 views
- 2:19:38 Thirteen Daysby truesemite 548,006 views
- 1:28:40 Without Warning (1994)by Daniel Jackson 143,308 views
- 1:53:34 El senor de las bestias pelicula completaby lalolasalbaje 1,250,516 views
- 1:31:43 Panic In The Year Zero (1962) American Nuclear Holocaust [full movie]by Kill Your TV 65,838 views
- 35:47 "Unsurvivable" The Threat of Thermonuclear War Consequences"by Expressed Mind 12,894 views
- 49:34 'Threads' (1984) vs 'The Day After' (1983) - an in-depth analysisby It's Just Harmless Fun 3,839 views
- 1:35:37 THE COMING (2008 version)by Chad Costen 1,033,306 views
- 1:40 Nuclear Attack on USA- TV Coverageby EASvids 106,535 views
- 1:35:51 Special Bulletin by wanabee2w 34,469 views
- 0:43 CBS Special Report Interruption - November 1983by WREYtube 126,971 views
- 1:23:12 The truth about World War 3 - and what comes after in this exciting video!by Bjorn Dahl 92,316 views
- 1:39:17 Invaders from Mars (1986)by UtahJazzGirl91's channel 483,479 views
- 12 videos Play all Threads FULL MOVIEby joyandian
- 47:02 Falklands War: Last Raid of the Nuclear Vulcans | BBC Military & War Documentaryby DocumentaryRoom 121,339 views
- 1:33:17 In Hell Full Movieby Pengawal 4 978,445 views
- 15:00 New WORLD Order NOW?~SHOCKING PROOF!by BannednFlagged 1,606,639 views
- 2:27:59 World War 2/II in Colour / The Second World War in Colour [FULL FILM DOCUMENTARY]by Thieves Steal to Brag True Story 2,898,621 views
- 2:08:07 The Battle of Waterloo Movie (1970)by Armand94Sadowski 1,112,541 views
- 46:18 The Wave - 1981 A True Story.wmvby havf8 85,266 views
- Loading more suggestions...