euronews cinema - Strong Foreign Language field at this year's Oscars
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 22, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ The Best Foreign Language Oscar can propel the winner into the big international league, and is highly desired.
Michael Hanecke's "Amour" is another much-admired work from the Austrian writer and director dealing with the final months in the life of a retired music teacher, played by 85-year-old Emmanuelle Riva, and her husband of 60 years played by Jean-Louis Trintignant, who came out of retirement just to take on the role.
Already covered with glory at Cannes and the Golden Globes "Amour" looks at the couple's struggle with the debilitating effects of two strokes on both Riva's health and her quality of life. The film has a total of five nominations, including best picture, best director, best original screenplay for Haneke, and best actress for Riva. It is considered the front-runner for the Oscar.
Norway's entry is "Kon-Tiki," the dramatised story of Thor Heyerdahl and his famous expedition of 1947. An experimental ethnographer and adventurer, Heyerdahl set out to prove his theory that people from South America could have settled in Polynesia in pre-Columbian times. To do this he builds a balsa raft using original techniques, and sails across the Pacific from Peru to Polynesia with five crewmen. It is the first Norwegian film to win Oscar and Golden Globe nominations.
Chile's "NO," directed by Pablo Larraín is the true story of a Chilean advertising executive who is recruited by opponents of the Pinochet regime to create an advert persuading people to vote against a referendum supporting the dictator. While many on the left fear that the government will rig the voting, the hero hopes that his marketing skills can sell the Chilean people the possibility of a better world
Director Pablo Larrain along with his wife, actress Antonia Zegers presented the movie at the last New York Film Festival, and it was a critical hit at Cannes.
Denmark's "A Royal Affair," directed by Nikolaj Arcel examines the relationship between the Queen of Denmark and a German doctor who is her husband's trusted advisor. It leads to sweeping changes in the country. Married as a teenager to the mentally unstable King Christian VII, Queen Caroline Mathilde finds herself drawn to the compassionate and intelligent Johann Friedrick Struensee. They become lovers and work together to reform Danish society.
The film was in competition at the 2011 Berlin International Film Festival and won a Best Foreign Language Film nomination at the Golden Globes.
Canada's "War Witch," is directed by Kim Nguyen. In a war-torn central African nation, a 12-year-old girl is abducted from her village and forced to fight as a child soldier. Over the course of two years, Komona endures a brutal and horrific existence that will damage her irrevocably.
Nguyen spent 10 years bringing this story to the screen, basing his script on the stories of actual child soldiers and shooting entirely on location in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Find us on:
Next in euronews cinema: Season 2 Episodes
- 9:33 euronews learning world - Building bridges between school and workby Euronews 442 views
- 1:25 Outcome far from certain as Italy prepares to voteby Euronews 147 views
- 1:12 Day 5 of Iberia strike over job cutsby Euronews 233 views
- 2:38 euronews cinema - "Rust and Bone", a different kind of love storyby Euronews 655 views
- 1:44:38 KALABIT (2003) Full Movieby MoviesKit 6,599,594 views
- 9:43 Rachel Mwanza du film Rebelle recu aux studios de Radio-Canada a Montrealby kapson76 18,167 views
- 3:13 Michael Haneke film 'Amour' sweeps major César awards in Oscars warm-upby 77bakimci 1,813 views
- 29:01 QI - Season 3 - Episode 6 - Cockneysby LuciferDWoops 72,911 views
- 3:14 Antonia Zegers on "No" Being the First Chilean Film Nominated for an Oscarby starcamcelebrities 225 views
- 2:39 Kon-Tiki and the meeting with the Whalesharkby seyng523 26,853 views
- 52:29 The Tangaroa Expedition (The Kon-Tiki Expedition) 2012 Documentaryby Bruno Sweetdog 63,160 views
- 1:26:48 Death Laid An Egg (1968) Aka; La morte ha fatto l'uovoby horrorfan244 116 views
- 53:11 cinema haram Shameer Chentrappinni Dubai speech ramadhan speechby sharja2010 8,224 views
- 8:48 LA HAZAÑA DE "LA KON-TIKI"by Pirataraul 8,229 views
- 2:19 Turo Hejerdalo Kon Tiki ekspedicija/Thor Heyerdahl Kon-Tiki expedition 1947 mby TheQuestRaider 858 views
- 7:53 Enfants soldats au Congo - Sergeby 7jours 16,810 views
- 8:42 Historiadores chilenos manipulan la historiaby HCZ63 9,039 views
- 1:47 Rachel Mwanza au Gala Inspiration OPCCby OPCCchanel 441 views
- 58:13 kon tiki 1947by clickkey 27,154 views
- 3:22 KON-TIKI (Official Trailer)by jansonmedia 15,432 views
- Loading more suggestions...