Lake Wolfgang, Upper Austria. Summer 2010.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 30, 2011
Wolfgangsee is a lake in Austria that lies mostly within the state of Salzburg and is one of the best known lakes in the Salzkammergut resort region. The municipalities on its shore are Strobl, St. Gilgen with the villages of Abersee and Ried as well as the market town of St. Wolfgang in the state of Upper Austria. The town and the lake are named after Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg, who, according to legend, built the first church here in the late 10th century.
The Wolfgangsee stretches about 10.5 kilometres from the northwest to the southeast. It is divided into two parts by a peninsula, called die Enge (the Narrow), situated roughly in the middle of its southern shore opposite St. Wolfgang, where the breadth is no more than 200 metres. The western portion of the lake at St. Gilgen is known as the Abersee.
The lake has an area of about 12.9 to 13.1 km² and is completely surrounded by the Salzkammergut mountain range. On the northern side, the Schafberg is located. A rack railway, the Schafbergbahn leads up to the summit at 1,782 m. Due to the steep shore at its foot only a footpath connects St. Wolfgang and the village of Ried with St. Gilgen along the Falkensteinwand, the set of the Bergpsalmen ("mountain psalms") lyric anthology written by Joseph Viktor von Scheffel in 1870. In the south and southwest of the Wolfgangsee lies the Osterhorngruppe, with heights up to 1,800 metres. Directly south of St. Gilgen rises the Zwölferhorn (1,521 m), which can be visited by cable car.
The settlements around the lake, especially St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen are popular resort towns, mainly in summer. The Gasthaus Weißes Rössl at St. Wolfgang is the set of the famous 1897 operetta The White Horse Inn by Ralph Benatzky, performed throughout the world and filmed several times. Furthermore the area around the lake was the location of several Heimatfilm movies, suggesting an untouched alpine idyll. As the Wolfgangsee has been the vacation resort of former German chancellor Helmut Kohl for many years, the film director Christoph Schlingensief made the lake a site of his Chance 2000 project of 1998 when he invited "Germany's four million unemployed" to take a bath in the lake and flood Kohl's residence.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Midnight Blue" on
Electric Light Orchestra
- 44:59 Car Warriors - S01E07by EdwinTV9's channel 103,433 views
- 44:58 Car Warriors S02E09 - GM Truck 1970by Simon Liu 41,785 views
- 44:18 [HD] Car Warriors - S01 E10by EdwinTV9 52,646 views
- 11:51 Wolfgangsee - St. Gilgen, Strobl und St. Wolfgangby RegionWolfgangsee 26,274 views
- 45:00 Car Warriors - S01 E01by EdwinTV9's channel 50,820 views
- 42 videos Play all オーストリア Australiaby LivingTraveler
- 4:02 Hallstatt - Austria HDby myVideoMedia GmbH 91,151 views
- 45:01 Car Warriors - S02 E01by EdwinTV9 38,060 views
- 3:16 Urlaub in St.Wolfgang am Wolfgangseeby Kanal von konradfilm 5,444 views
- 31:03 Schafbergbahn Führerstandsmitfahrt - Bergfahrtby Harald Peter Kieberger 17,953 views
- 9:46 Wandern am Achensee 2012 / 1by Hartmut Schmidt 1,304 views
- 45:01 Car Warriors - S02E01 - Chevrolet Camaro 1971by 199919191991991 99,562 views
- 4:13 Camping Lindenstrand am Wolfgangsee 2010by soisses1 4,760 views
- 1:39:32 Loreena Mckennitt - Nights From The Alhambraby Alex Phoenix 107,615 views
- 14:37 2012 07 09 01 in St Gilgenby bionita68 461 views
- 8:21 The Magic Norway - TRONDHEIM (By Michael Landesman)by Michael Landesman 3 views
- 10:32 Trucker-Treffen Aberseeby aid2003 4,943 views
- 44:58 Car Warriors S02E06 - Fox Body Ford Mustang 1990by Simon Liu 81,235 views
- 10:06 Visions Of Austria, Part 1 6 HD HDby Anca Dorin 54,445 views
- 10:59 Truckertreffen Abersee 2010by aid2003 3,908 views
- 1:46:50 Andre Rieu et les valses de VIENNEby epagneule 474,430 views
- Loading more suggestions...