Switch Upsets Blind Luck In Hollywood Oaks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 6, 2010
Switch, who had been second or third in three of her four previous starts in graded stakes, broke through with a win on Sunday, upsetting heavily favored Blind Luck in the $150,000 Hollywood Oaks at Hollywood Park.
Trained by John Sadler for Lee and Susan Searing's C R K Stable, the 3-year-old Quiet American filly by the Nicholas mare Antoniette got first run on the Kentucky Oaks winner and went on to victory by 1 ¼ lengths in the Grade II.
Switch's win was her second in six starts and increased her earnings to $189,600. She also evened the score with Blind Luck. In their first encounter, Blind Luck had defeated Switch, who wound up third, by a half-length in the Las Virgenes, a Grade 1, on Feb. 13 at Santa Anita.
Camped third on the outside under jockey Martin Garcia, who replaced Joel Rosario, who had been named to ride when entries were taken on June 3, while Camille C set a very slow pace with Vision In Gold in close attendance, Switch joined the leader in deep stretch, kicked clear from the California bred, then was not seriously menaced by Blind Luck in the closing yards.
Due to the extremely soft fractions -- 25.30 for the opening quarter, 50.11 for the half-mile and 1:14.50 for six furlongs -- the final time of 1:44.54 was the slowest in the Oaks since the race was shortened to 1 1/16 miles in 2002.
Second, a half-length behind Tanda, in the Railbird Stakes at seven furlongs in her first start of the meet on May 9, Switch returned $7.40, $2.80 and $2.20 as the 5-2 second choice. She carried 113 pounds, 10 less than the runner-up.
Blind Luck, the 1-2 favorite seeking to join Fran's Valentine (1985) as the only fillies to win both the Kentucky and Hollywood Oaks, paid $2.20 and $2.10. Camille C, who finished three-quarters of a length behind Blind Luck, paid $3.20 to show. Antares World and Vision In Gold completed the order of finish.
"We always wanted to get her off the pace and that's why we dropped her back for the Railbird,'' said Sadler after his first win in the Oaks. "She found herself a couple of times at Santa Anita on easy leads, but I really wanted to get her off the pace a little bit.
"This filly is tactical, so we knew she could get a really good position. She has a really good turn of foot, so I knew we would get first jump on (Blind Luck).''
Standard YouTube License
- 5:39 2007 Breeders Cup Classic CURLINby opasanscarface13,658 views
- 6:40 2010 Kentucky Oaks - Blind Luckby Horse Racing24,418 views
- 2:23 The 66th Running of Hollywood Oaks (GII) - $150,000 Guaranteedby Hollywoodracetrack1,953 views
- 2:28 The 70th Running of Vanity Handicap (GI) - $250,000 Guaranteedby Hollywoodracetrack2,157 views
- 2:22 Zenyatta A Perfect 19 For 19 After Victory In Lady's Secretby Hollywoodracetrack40,795 views
- 2:20 Preakness Stakes 2011 - Shacklefordby HappyDane9510,495 views
- 10:35 The 33rd Running of the Native Diver Handicap (GIII) - $100,000 Guaranteedby Hollywoodracetrack1,099 views
- 2:11 Blind Luck Rolls To Seven-Length Victory In Hollywood Starletby Hollywoodracetrack8,436 views
- 3:31 2010 La Brea Stakesby NTRAHorseRacing1,328 views
- 5:40 Hollywood Park Autumn Meet- In Reviewby Hollywoodracetrack2,790 views
- 2:50 Longshot Acclamation Record Setting Murray Winnerby Hollywoodracetrack1,624 views
- 2:49 The Rivalry: Blind Luck vs. Havre de Graceby NTRAHorseRacing2,394 views
- 2:48 Zenyatta Wins the 2010 TVG Lady's Secret Stakes at Oak Tree Hollywood Parkby tvgnetwork129,678 views
- 4:55 2012 Preseason Pass #1: Blind Luckby Emerald Downs787 views
- 3:16 2010 Prix de l'Arc de Triompheby sachahuista53,807 views
- 1:47 Tanda Remains On Roll, Wins Third In Row In Railbirdby Hollywoodracetrack957 views
- 1:34 Blind Luck kicks up her heels before Keeneland auctionby moonwalker4242,749 views
- 2:22 Rachel Alexandra - 2009 Woodward Stakesby The New York Racing Association, Inc.87,129 views
- 10:10 ZENYATTA - 2010 Vanity Handicapby Horse Racing35,043 views
- 1:23 Blind Luck - Road To Oaks Successby Saislineyv1,512 views
- Loading more suggestions...