This video is unavailable.
Michael Dowd Skeptic Lecture at CalTech - "Evolution and the Global Integrity Crisis"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 26, 2012
"We're fortunate to have Michael Dowd on our side (the 'our' being humanity)," says Michael Shermer, publisher of Skeptic magazine, who introduces Dowd as part of Skeptic's Distinguished Lecture series at CalTech. Following is a brief description of Dowd's bridge-building Religious Naturalism program, presented here in 2009. He shows how a mainstream understanding of cosmic, biological, and cultural evolution can be framed as "good news" for secular and religious audiences alike. (Dowd also presented this at the United Nations a few months earlier.)
From crumbling economies to collapsing ecosystems, humanity is experiencing an unprecedented global integrity crisis. In a richly illustrated presentation, Michael Dowd sheds light on a wide range of personal, social, political, and economic issues through the prism of "global integrity": humanity in right relationship to reality at all scales, from the personal to the planetary.
The evolutionary sciences teach us that throughout life's history, a vital trend is chaos catalyzing cooperation in ever-larger systems of interdependence. Dowd proposes that only a deeply meaningful and inspiring, evidence-based evolutionary worldview can help us co-create a just and thriving future at this emerging, planetary level of interdependence.
The talk is based on his landmark book, "Thank God for Evolution: How the Marriage of Science and Religion Will Transform Your Life and Our World" (Viking 2008 / Plume 2009), which was endorsed by 6 Nobel Prize-winning scientists and other science luminaries, including noted skeptics and atheists, and by religious leaders across the spectrum. Michael and his wife, science writer Connie Barlow, have been called "America's evolutionary evangelists." Since April 2002 they have lived entirely on the road and have spoken to more than 1,600 secular and religious groups -- from atheists to evangelicals -- across North America.
You can purchase a DVD of this presentation from the Skeptic website, here: http://www.skeptic.com/past-lectures/...
Michael's BIO, PUBLICATIONS, and BLOGS:
Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-mic...
Thank God for Evolution: http://thankgodforevolution.com/blog_...
Click on blue time stops below to access topics immediately in the video:
01:00 - end of Michael Shermer's introduction of Dowd
00:15 - Dowd begins "Evolution and the Global Integrity Crisis"
01:30 - the power of mythic stories; "supernatural" is "pre-natural"
01:55 - goal of helping supernaturalists become religious naturalists
03:00 - background on Dowd's "evolutionary evangelism"
04:18 - images of Saturn (and Earth) from Cassini mission
04:57 - overview of program: "Evolution and the Global Integrity Crisis"
06:26 - "day language" v. "night language"; facts, story, meaning
10:35 - God as Reality personified -- not a person
14:45 - evolutionary brain science for understanding human nature
21:35 - "night language" animal names for Quadrune Brain: Lizard Legacy, Furry Li'l Mammal, Monkey Mind, and Higher Porpoise
22:20 - "in-group" v. "out-group" instincts
23:26 - Monkey Mind and Higher Porpoise (higher purpose)
24:06 - social and cooperative instincts
24:41 - mismatched instincts and "inherited proclivities"
28:09 - rise in status leads to a rise in testosterone (risk-taking and sex drive)
31:41 - fault v. responsibility; from denial toward recovery and compassion
35:55 - an evolutionary view of addiction
36:59 - evolutionary psychology reveals human universals; fosters compassion and realistic hope
41:07 - REALizing/naturalizing religious concepts (e.g., Original Sin)
41:35 - integrity as "right relationship with reality" (at all levels)
43:55 - "Evolution's arrow," the trajectory of complexity, and evolutionary emergence
44:44 - "creatheist"
45:27 - greater complexity, interdependence, cooperation (nonzero sum) through time
48:09 - humans as the universe becoming conscious of itself and its story
49:43 - "naturalizing" religious/mythic insights and stories
51:27 - evolutionary directionality; crisis catalyzes creativity; multi-level alignment of self-interest
54:57 - two vital questions for 21st century
56:49 - five vital reasons for spreading an evolutionary worldview
01:00:20 - until we see through sacred deep-time eyes
01:01:01 - creative role of chaos and destruction
01:02:55 - Nobel prize-winning scientists endorse "Thank God for Evolution"; book trailer
01:06:00 - Q&A with audience at CalTech
01:14:48 - overview of books and dvd resources
01:23:00 - websites and "Best Evolution Resources"
01:23:27 - concluding quote from Brian Swimme
Standard YouTube License
- 2:00:23 SOMETHING FROM NOTHING ? [OFFICIAL] Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss [HD] 02-04-12by ShirleyFilms 710,739 views
- 1:38:01 Skeptic's Science Symposium Q&Aby MichaelShermer 27,920 views
- 2:15:49 Kent Hovind - Creation/Evolution Debate - Kyle Frazier & Michael Shermerby ParsonRayphe 2,404 views
- 1:28:21 Mermaids like Reptilians are Real? (A result of evolution?)by michaelnew1962 82,324 views
- 1:08:10 Why I Am Not an Atheistby exposedatheists 59,446 views
- 1:41:12 Daniel Dennett - Free Will Determinism and Evolutionby venompangx 58,272 views
- 1:25:16 Lecture 10 - Neural Networksby caltech 29,219 views
- 1:05:08 Public Lecture—Deep Science: Mining for Dark Matterby SLAC 3,438 views
- 49:14 Climate Change and Intergenerational Evilby thegreatstory 7,414 views
- 26:56 Richard Dawkins on Evolution [FULL]by AllanGregg 222,973 views
- 2:12:54 Kent Hovind - Debate 20 - How to Debate a Creationist - Kent Hovind vs. Michael Shermerby GodGunsGutsGlory4KJV 11,516 views
- 4:27 A Scientist Visits A Creationist Museumby SkepticStream 472,618 views
- 1:51:07 The Future of God Debate Sam Harris and Michael Shermer vs Deepak Chopra and Jean Houstonby AllSamHarrisContent 38,642 views
- 1:08:03 Michael Turner - The Dark Side of the Universeby TheIHMC 7,529 views
- 18:28 Saturday Night With Sajid Varda, Guest Dr. Shabir Allyby MuslimByChoice 578 views
- 9:22 What is Skepticism, a primer for understanding realityby TheEarthAbides 9,813 views
- 2:01 Skeptic Presents: The Con Academy, Vol. 1by misterdeity 11,445 views
- 9:58 Richard Dawkins lecture on natural selection and evolutionary psychology Part 1/2by RichardDawkinsdotcom 17,357 views
- 9:32 Skeptic Michael Shermer on Atheism, Happiness, and the Free Marketby ReasonTV 69,420 views
- 6:46 The Secrets of Einstein's Brainby zionstudio 470,216 views
- Loading more suggestions...