UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center Launches Brain Tumor Trial- Tocagen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 29, 2012
This video introduces Dr. Santosh Kesari and his patient.
UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center researchers and surgeons are among the first in the nation to treat patients with recurrent brain cancer by directly injecting an investigational viral vector into their tumor. The treatment is being developed by a San Diego Company, Tocagen Inc.
"This clinical trial targets glioblastoma -- one of the deadliest forms of brain tumor" said principal investigator Santosh Kesari, MD, PhD, Director of Neuro-Oncology in the Moores Cancer Center and in the Department of Neurosciences at the University of California, San Diego. "Clinical trials of investigational therapies such as this may lead to new treatment options for patients battling this deadly disease."
The current standard of care for a newly diagnosed, high-grade glioma includes surgically removing as much of the tumor as possible, followed by radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Despite these measures, the tumor usually recurs making this trial a high priority.
The trial is investigating the use of Toca 511 (vocimagene amiretrorepvec), for injection in combination with Toca FC (flucytosine), extended-release tablets. Toca 511 is a retroviral replicating vector (RRV) that is designed to deliver a cytosine deaminase (CD) gene selectively to cancer cells. After allowing time for the administered Toca 511 to spread through the cancerous tumor those cancer cells expressing the CD gene can convert flucytosine into the anti-cancer drug 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). In this study, patients receive cycles of oral Toca FC monthly for up to six months.
"This may provide a way to destroy the cancer cells without disrupting delicate neurocircuitry," explained surgeon scientist Clark Chen, MD, PhD, director of stereotactic and radiosurgery, UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center and an investigator on the study. Dr. Chen administered Toca 511 into the first patients who have participated in this clinical trial at UCSD. "We fused the patient's CT scan to their MRI and used neuro-navigation software to calculate exactly where in the tumor we needed to place the injection of Toca 511. The patients tolerated the administration of the viral vector and were discharged from the hospital the day after the procedure."
Participants in this clinical trial must be 18 years or older; have a single, recurrent Grade 3 or 4 glioma and have had prior surgery and chemoradiation.
Media: Video of physician and patient available here or by request.
For more information please visit www.tocagen.com/clinicaltrials or www.clinicaltrials.gov and search for "Toca 511".
Study coordinator: Ryan Kim 858-822-7937
Media Contact: Kim Edwards 619-543-6163
Learn more about Moores Cancer Center: http://cancer.ucsd.edu/
Standard YouTube License
- 1:04:35 Food for Thought—Healing Foods to Savor—March 11, 2010by UC San Diego Health System823 views
- 6:16 Dr. Santosh Kesari Talks About Cell Phones & Brain Tumorsby UC San Diego Health System1,818 views
- 13:03 UC San Diego Radiation/Oncology South Bay Open House previewby UC San Diego Health System323 views
- 2:17 UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center Offers New Hope for Brain Cancer Patientsby UC San Diego Health System2,235 views
- 26:11 Der Feind in meinem Kopf - Diagnose Hirntumorby hrfernsehen8,235 views
- 23:06 Emmy Nominated - Extracting A Deadly Brain Tumorby UMiamiMedicine53,733 views
- 7:32 Immunotherapy: Boosting the immune system to fight cancerby nature video23,965 views
- 5:07 Dr. Lesley Taylor discusses Giuliana Rancic's breast cancer and the BRCA gene mutationby Pink Lotus Breast Center6,482 views
- 1:15:47 Conan O'Brien UC San Diego (UCSD) Q&A - 4/20/2012by Team Coco63,424 views
- 2:51 Beating the Odds: Kevin Carlberg Overcomes Brain Cancerby UCLAJCCC3,577 views
- 14:01 Parkinson's Disease: Diagnosis, Causes and Treatment.by pdinformation6,530 views
- 12:51 SINTOMI E SEGNI DEI TUMORI AL POLMONEby Alcase Italia60,051 views
- 5:19 Jodi Fenton - Anaplastic Astrocytoma Grade IIIby BurzynskiMovie10,091 views
- 10:12 CMC 2011 San Diegoby Da Tong Li491 views
- 3:07 High grade brain tumour: John's storyby NHS Choices3,577 views
- 8:37 University of Cincinnati Neuroscience Institute Brain Tumor Board: A Team Opinion for Patientsby UCHealthCincinnati424 views
- 4:31 UC San Diego Dr. Santosh Kesari on Brain Tumorsby UCSDNeuro541 views
- 4:48 Beating brain tumors - viruses vs. cancer | Tomorrow Todayby DW (English)873 views
- 1:41 Finding New Treatments for Brain Cancer - Dr. Greg Foltz of the Ivy Brain Tumor Centerby swedishseattle1,804 views
- 4:39 Gillespie Field to San Diego Internationalby Mr Awesome2,987 views
- Loading more suggestions...