Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 25, 2012
Pussy Riot Olympia Solidarity Action to demand the immediate release of Pussy Riot Moscow. Made in Olympia, summer 2012.
STATEMENT OF INTENT BY PUSSY RIOT OLYMPIA:
"Pussy Riot has to keep on expanding. That's one of the reasons we choose to always wear balaclavas—new members can join the bunch and it does not really matter who takes part in the next act—there can be three of us or eight, like in our last gig on the Red Square, or even 15. Pussy Riot is a pulsating and growing body. Do you know anyone who wants to come to Moscow, play illegal concerts, and help us fight Putin and Russian chauvinists? Or maybe they could start their own local Pussy Riot, if Russia is too cold and too far."-
Garadzha, Pussy Riot
As with every story there is how we want the world to know the story and then what really happened. In this story you will get both because there are many people telling it. Some of the members of Pussy Riot Olympia were trying to show support for Pussy Riot Moscow by carrying on what we saw them actually doing, disrupting public space to create dialogue about relevant political and cultural issues.
We looked at what resources we had and made a plan. Some of us knew we could get the controls of the projection booth and lights at a local cinema. We disrupted a matinee screening (a poorly attended screening as you can see in the video) by rigging the fire shutter on the projector to stop functioning such that when we shut off the projector the image burned on screen. (at a planned moment during the manipulative film) Then we hit the lights, rushed the stage, switched over to the cinema's video projector and sound system to play our song and slide show, gave it all we had for two minutes and left the small audience to wonder what happened. We had a few cameras so we filmed the scenes leading up to and just after the action. Then some of us went up to the state capitol building and took over the steps for an impromptu demo that lasted about three minutes. At the end of the video you can see a state patrolman walking out of the building with his lunchbox trying his best to ignore the weird spectacle happening...and probably hoping he didn't get called back to work to diffuse the situation.
In the cinema action we are also deliberately protesting the random mass killing that happened recently in a cinema in the US. These killings have become increasingly regular and are fed by the culture of violence and hate that is the norm in consumerist feeding frenzies and especially the cinema. We love the cinema. Free the Cinema! Free Pussy Riot!
Start yr own Pussy Riot chapter now.
We have nothing to worry about, because if the repressive Putinist police crooks throw one of us in prison, five, ten fifteen or more girls will put on colorful balaclavas and continue the fight against their symbols of power
-Kot, Pussy Riot
Pussy Riot song lyrics:
PUSSY RIOT- I WANNA RIOT
PUSSY RIOT- I WANNA RIOT OF MY OWN (X2)
RUSSIANS GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS
BUT THEY KNOW HOW TO BREAK SOME EGGS!
AMERICANS SIT ON THE INTERNET
WHERE THEY LEARN HOW TO BE TAME!
AND EVERYBODY'S DOING JUST WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO
AND NOBODY WANTS TO GOT TO JAIL!
ALL THE POWER IS IN THE HANDS OF THE PEOPLE RICH ENOUGH TO BUY IT
WHILE WE WALK THE STREETS...
LET'S HAVE A PUSSY RIOT!
ARE YOU TAKING ORDERS OR ARE YOU TAKING OVER?
ARE YOU MOVING BACKWARDS OR ARE YOU MOVING FORWARD?
Pussy Riot is an anonymous anti-authoritarian feminist collective
that stages unsanctioned concerts as a means of political protest.
They formed in Moscow in September 2011 in response to Vladimir
Putin's decision to run for re-election.
On February 21, 2012 Pussy Riot staged a "punk prayer" at a cathedral in Moscow, following which three alleged participants in the action were arrested and charged with "hooliganism". They face a maximum sentence of 7 years in prison if convicted and remain in pre-trial detention, which was recently extended to January 2013.
Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Maria Alekhina are political prisoners. Amnesty International calls for their immediate release. Solidarity actions are happening around the globe.
Standard YouTube License
- 30:34 Charlie Rose - A conversation with Beastie Boys (2007)by Renata dPFeatured 7,855
- 3:34 OMARA PORTUONDO - Mucho Corazonby ramoburg 25,225 views
- 5:49 Death to Prison, Freedom of Protest: FREE PUSSY RIOT!by levelanchorage 2,048 views
- 2:37 Pussy Riot release new single Putin Lights Up the Firesby ScarceMedia 208,676 views
- 52:53 Пусть говорят: Pussy Riot, Путин зассал 15.03.2012by sattvrip 150,484 views
- 3:08 Освободите Pussy Riot! - ВИА Демотиваторby ВИА Демотиватор 6,065 views
- 1:35 Free Pussy Riot! at the Russian Embassy in London, 23rd April 2012by Evgeny Legedin 4,717 views
- 0:51 Free Pussy Riot (Glasgow solidarity tribute)by Dan Volzam 3,667 views
- 7:49 Madonna's speech in support of the Pussy Riot at the concert in Moscow Madonna Free Pussy Riotby PussyRiotEng 47,226 views
- 1:33:02 Запись трансляции Патриаршего Пасхального богослужения. Заутреняby russianchurch 4,216 views
- 2:54 pussy-riot-olympia-solidarity-sd.m4vby Tobi Vail 841 views
- 6:59 PIL - Annalisaby MatthewMalone 158,633 views
- 1:33 pussy-riot-olympia-henry-rollins-sd.m4vby Tobi Vail 597 views
- 8:39 SH*T PEOPLE SAY IN OLYMPIAby David SchererWater 23,344 views
- 1:53 Punk public prayer "Mother of Jesus, Putin banish" - "Pussy Riot" in the Templeby Karatel2011 34,712 views
- 2:26 free pussy riot san franciscoby kisstiger77 1,276 views
- 14:45 Патриарх Кирилл об Апокалипсисеby pravmir 43,141 views
- 1:35 Группа Pussy Riot жжет путинский гламурby Гараджа Матвеева 1,103,149 views
- 20:47 Патриарх Кирилл совершил чин умовения ногby russianchurch 4,361 views
- 3:56 Free Pussy Riotby Khromium Khrist 14,247 views
- Loading more suggestions...