This video is unavailable.
Jim Grant explains how Central Banks are Waging War on Supply and Demand
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 26, 2012
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. Last month, the federal reserve bank of new york invited some of its critics, including our guest, to, as he put it "unburden themselves of their criticisms." The text of his remarks was published in the March 23rd issue of Grant's, and it is most certainly worth reading for those who are wise enough to subscribe. There are a number of points that James Grant makes in his remarks that we have repeated ad nauseum on this show ourselves: accountability for bank executives, a functioning price mechanism, sound money...you know...capitalism.
But the editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer also makes another interesting proposal with respect to what he would do if, by some act of market revenge, he were made Chairman of the Monetary Priesthood. He would, as he put it: "commission, staff, and ceremonially open the Fed's first Office of Unintended Consequence."
Economics is, after all, a social science, and as such, is beholden to the unintended consequences brought about by the actions of the observer as much as by those of the subject being observed. Imagine if we designated responsibility for precipitation and cloud cover to executives at "The Weather Channel?" Even if this new politburo had the best of intentions, would you feel comfortable ceding control of the weather to a group of 12, unelected, and highly fallible, human beings?
We think not, and if you believe the weather system is not a fair comparison to the system of money and credit, we would beg to differ. The weather, as well as the economy, are both chaotic systems. They are dynamic, and they are organic. They are not well oiled machines to be manipulated and driven from point A to point B at the discretion of some ceremonially chosen motorist, no matter how pure or benign his intentions.
But how would the economy function without the central planners and their open market operations? How would the sacred rate of interest be determined without the shepherds at the Fed? Surely there must be someone to guide the economy...
To help guide us in our pursuit of answers on this, and other topics, is Jim Grant, author and editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer.
- 28:02 James Turk gives his timeline on the Dollar's Collapse and Gold's role as the messenger!by CapitalAccountFeatured 65,458
- 28:05 GATA's Bill Murphy exposes how the Gold Cartel is Bombing the Market for Precious Metalsby CapitalAccount 29,347 views
- 27:51 Krugman "Knocked out of Neoclassical Orbit" by Steve Keen's Meteoric Rise!by CapitalAccount 36,642 views
- 28:07 Jeffrey Tucker on why Government Hates your Lawn!by CapitalAccount 7,461 views
- 25:37 The International Banking Cartel (I)by PressTVGlobalNews 43,211 views
- 9:00 Nobel Prize Genius Joseph Stiglitz versus Hugh Hendry BBC February 2010.mp4by Steven De Klerck 11,620 views
- 6:20 Top 5 Places NOT To Be In A Dollar Collapseby AwaketoTruth 111,947 views
- 23:27 European sovereign debt crisis: Where is it headed?-On the Edge with Max Keiser-04-27-2012by PressTVGlobalNews 9,867 views
- 41:54 James G. Rickards talks to James Turkby GoldMoneyNews 43,759 views
- 42:09 Money, Banking and the Federal Reserveby misesmedia 900,646 views
- 6:36 Jim Rogers on Markets, Economy and Chinaby WSJDigitalNetwork 16,605 views
- 4:45 Jim Rogers The Next Economic Slowdown Is Going To Be Much Worseby etfideas 12,228 views
- 11:11 Gas Price hits RECORD in CALIFORNIAby VictoryIndependence 53,888 views
- 10:24 Central Banking Racketeers (TPTB) and their fake Fiat Monetary System Exposed as Slavery to them!by 77GSlinger 38,867 views
- 8:42 Lauren Lyster Inadvertently Blows Massive Hole In Peter Schiff's Senseless Money Supply Argumentby SchittReport 39,028 views
- 7:55 James Grant: We Are Now All Labrats Of Bernanke And The Fourth Branch Of Governmentby selfownership1 5,318 views
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Slavoj Zizek & David Horowitz (E2)by RussiaToday 233,405 views
- 10:52 Central Banking Explained (satan's monetary control) Part 1 of 2by MrLovethyneighbor 15,361 views
- 7:08 Hugh Hendry - Shares Some Contrarian Viewsby cadavari 34,113 views
- 1:35 Lauren Lyster Legs In Dark Skirt n Thigh Tease March 5, 2012by NitaNaldi1 23,930 views
- Loading more suggestions...