Noah Eli Gordon & a chorus of poets perform The Source
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 7, 2011
Featuring Arda Collins, Collin Schuster, Julia Cohen, Mathias Svalina, Julie Carr, Thibault Raoult, Eric Baus, Andrea Rexilius, Sara Marshall, Michael Flatt, Ray Hsu, Christine Leclerc, Nikki Reimer, Jen Hofer, Karl Saffran, Zachary Schomburg, and many others.
Info on The Source here:
An excerpt here:
When the Source is formed and expressed in words, writing, it is true, has shaped it, but the spirit of the Source—the creative urge it represents, the feeling it expresses and evokes, and even in large part its subject matter, comes from only two words: 'is' and 'are.'
"We read these words on page 26 of The Source, Noah Eli Gordon's strange and haunting cento—a book assembled from thousands of instances of page 26, as found in the volumes of the Denver Public Library, their deployment of our alphabet with its twenty-six letters yielding an astonishing variety of source material that constitutes Noah Eli Gordon's adventure in numerology. Language is literally charged with meaning in exciting new ways."
"Reduced choice is still choice, and we find what we look for. As Tzara said, describing a more strictly aleatory process of composition: "the poem will resemble you." So Noah Eli Gordon has stitched hundreds of fragments into an intriguing, often funny synopticon of our culture and its/his nostalgia for transcendence. And though the book warns, "the Source is to be taken in very small doses," the total effect is exhilarating."
"Noah Eli Gordon's The Source, stretches a permeable skin around ruptured repositories of human thought-structures while sustaining itself, and us, on a nutritive broth of glorious language plunder, bibliomancy, Kabbalist numerology, and exquisitely attuned appropriations. Just as The Source "understands a pattern and works against it" it also is a finely hewn compendium of appropriations culled systematically from page 26 of thousands of the books in the open stacks of the Denver Public Library. What is contained is what is content: socio-cultural shards of language, "like a Roman shirt, stitched from the scraps of various sources, keeping us warm." The Source embodies a text that is at once time binding--a product of it's own placement in current conceptual poetics, as well as an archive of it's own body through constrained ingestion of borrowed material. According to the Source's own page 26 "...the spirit of the Source—the creative urge it represents...even in large part its subject matter, comes from only two words 'is' and 'are.'" In other words, Noah Eli Gordon'sThe Source gifts us with a methodically repurposed text that keeps on giving."
By applying a hypertextual model to paper-bound books in a library, Noah Eli Gordon turns the electronic equation on its ear, making us realize that our engagement with every kind of media—analog and digital—has forever been altered. By literally surfing though a library, Gordon has convincingly shown us that writing still has the potential to be personal, meaningful and spiritual without our ever having written a word of it.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:08:49 Гордон  Каббала и русское масонствоby gontsaru59,618 views
- 18:12 Lecture / Reading Rosmarie Waldrop 24.11.11by doublechange readings326 views
- 6:12 Noah Eli Gordon Reading from The Sourceby Sommer Browning623 views
- 9:41 Marjorie Perloff 1by SCE0081,244 views
- 5:47 Jaap Blonk at CU-Boulder on the "r"by Sommer Browning152 views
- 58:05 Flying Wordsby University of California Television (UCTV)35,966 views
- 33:48 Lunch Poems - Jessica Fisherby UCBerkeleyEvents3,693 views
- 9:16 A Conversation with Marjorie Perloffby pennsound322 views
- 7:29 Joshua Marie Wilkinson and Noah Eli Gordon - Poetryby Metaphysics243,186 views
- 9:09 Zachary Schomburgby Amy King827 views
- 4:04 Life Is The Plot- Expressive Sound Poemby megblairrr92 views
- 4:03 CHRISTINE LECLERC - SUMMER DREAM LITERARY ARTS FESTIVAL 2009by wnsbt443 views
- 4:57 Are YOU a Conceptual Poet? Noah Eli Gordonby tbuckett100379 views
- 15:47 Jericho Brown at The World Stageby Wayne Lindberg2,270 views
- 6:57 Marjorie Perloff discusses Marcel DuChamp's readymades (1/2)by pennsound316 views
- 6:25 Noah Eli Gordon Poetry: A New Hymn To The Old Nightby Metaphysics241,494 views
- 10:01 Graham Foust reads at CU-Boulderby Sommer Browning64 views
- 0:29 The world's fattest catby Sommer Browning145 views
- 7:37 "I will wait for you" by Official P4CM Poet JANETTE...IKZby P4CM2,286,808 views
- 0:50 Zed's Poemby JLSPFOC44,420 views
- Loading more suggestions...