This video is unavailable.
Sexism and Stereotypes in Video Games?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 29, 2012
1.) "Video games aren't only for fun!"
I address this in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEFh2...
But video games are for fun; they are created to entertain and have great gameplay to keep you glued to the monitor. Above all, they are created and meant to be fun. Of course they more than that; anyone who has been watching my channel for a while would know that I think of games as so much more than that. I talk about the way they impact our lives, how they've influenced our childhood, how they inspire us to think even after a game is over. But this video isn't about the significance of video games, it is a response to a view about the way female characters are portrayed. Treating characters as a serious statement on stereotypes in society is to completely forget what their main purpose is, which is why I put emphasis on video games being created to be fun [and make money]. Why judge something against society's standards if it wasn't even made for that in the first place?
2.) "You can't actually believe misogyny doesn't exist in video games."
I have seen several people reply that to deny misogyny exists in the character creation process is to live in some rose-colored glasses world. Do you really think concept artists sit around about think, "hmm, how offensive can I make this female character?" To claim that characters were created from sexist stereotypes is to ultimately accuse the artists/designers/programmers/developers
3.) "The music is too loud."
Captions are available! Big thanks to a viewer that took his time to transcribe them for everyone. :)
4.) "Great music!"
Thank you! The list in order:
a. "Left Bank TWO," Little Big Planet (composed by Wayne Hill and performed by The Noveltones)
b. "Fairy Fountain Theme," Legend of Zelda OoT (and onwards)
c. "Goron City," Legend of Zelda OoT
d. "Song of Memories," Final Fantasy IX
e. "Orb of Dreamers," Little Big Planet
f. "To Far Away Times," Chrono Trigger
g. "Shop Theme," Legend of Zelda OoT
This is my response (and personal opinion on the matter) to Anita Sarkeesian's video on the subject of stereotypical representations of female characters in video games: http://youtu.be/l8I0Wy58adM
My opinion is that sexism and misogyny do not exist in games and that such perceived portrayals are not done to stereotype women but are simply a part of the art and style of characters in general.
This subject and her video have been under somewhat recent fire and I do not want to add any more fuel to the flame but seek to present a more positive outlook on the issue. Share your views on the topic below!
Standard YouTube License
- 6:29 It's Only Sexist When Men Do Itby TheAmazingAtheistFeatured 1,736,701
- 16:39 Genki Vs. Anita Sarkeesian: "Damsels in Distress" - Gaming with Genkiby SMNtoob 25,860 views
- 10:14 Anita Sarkeesian Part 1: The College Graduateby Instig8iveJournalism 204,390 views
- 10:03 Video Games and the Female Audienceby Daniel Floyd 490,395 views
- 4:10 SOLVING THE SEXISM SITUATION (Jimquisition)by TheEscapistMagazine 16,537 views
- 8:52 I spoke out to Feminist Frequency / Anita Sarkeesian In Personby MoarPewPewPlz 13,719 views
- 5:33 Retro Sexism and Uber Ironic Advertisingby feministfrequency 199,408 views
- 10:38 Failure of Feminismby TheAmazingAtheist 508,250 views
- 4:11 Feminist Frequency: Bayonetta And Advertising Originalby NastyOpinions 79,951 views
- 10:44 Anita Sarkeesian Part 2: Burqa Beach Partyby Instig8iveJournalism 122,041 views
- 16:34 Long Response To Jay Smooth: Feminists Who Disagree With Anita Sarkeesianby SickMouth 9,014 views
- 25:05 Benevolent sexism?by girlwriteswhat 31,927 views
- 7:59 Re: Sexism vs. Gamingby MrRepzion 18,953 views
- 1:32 Pinned - UNFINISHEDby Gammerman12 59,521 views
- 47:44 Damsel in Distress | Critical Contextby Luetin09 2,520 views
- 7:18 The Damsel In Distressby gamesvstropesvswomen 45,138 views
- 14:25 16x9 - Dangerous Game: Tropes vs Women bullyingby 16x9onglobal 127,180 views
- 8:40 Feminist Frequency vs Bayonettaby aaronbig1 33,189 views
- 1:31:24 I BEAT SONIC 2... ON A FRICKIN' DANCE PAD!!!by Nick Hagman 10,634 views
- 7:05 Tropes vs Women in Video Games: Reasons to Doubtby AA02EW 3,738 views
- Loading more suggestions...