V. G. Jog... ( Violin )
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 29, 2010
Pandit Vishnu Govind Jog, better known as V. G. Jog (born 1921 or 1922 in Satara district, Maharashtra, India; died 31 January 2004 in South Calcutta, India), was an Indian violinist. He was the foremost exponent of the violin in the Hindustani music tradition in the 20th century, and is credited for introducing this instrument into Hindustani music.
Jog was a disciple of Baba Allauddin Khan. He performed and recorded with many of the greatest Hindustani musicians of the 20th century (including Bismillah Khan) and toured the world. He frequently performed for All India Radio's Calcutta division. He received the Padma Bhushan award in 1982.
He earned a master's degree in music from Bhatkhande College of Hindustani Music in Lucknow in 1944 and went on to teach there. He also taught at the Ali Akbar College of Music.
Beginning in 1999, he suffered from Parkinson's disease, and also suffered from respiratory problems in his later years.
Pandit Vishnu Govind Jog, whose name is almost synonymous with the violin genre in Hindustani classical music, is a performer with the unique distinction of having occupied the top rungs of the Classical Musicians' hierarchy with three consecutive generations of performers. His career as a highly active and successful performer has spanned almost five decades. Born in Bombay in 1921 (or 22 according to some), he received his early training from S. C. Athavale and the late Ganpat Rao Purohit. Subsequently, he had his training from Vishweswar Shastry, the renowned musician and musicologist Dr. S. N. Ratanjarkar, and for a short time from the celebrated Ustad Allauddin Khan.
Groomed in the Gwalior, Agra and Bakhle styles, Pandit Jog's virtuosity, mastery of ragas and an uncanny realisation of space and time in the construction and knowledge of rhythm are his hallmarks. At a very young age, he rubbed shoulders with all time greats at the Bhatkhande College of Music, Lucknow, in the 1930s--the first great attempt at institutionalizing traditional music instruction.
An unassuming person of infinite charm, he is also regarded as an incomparable accompanist. His duets with Ustad Bismillah Khan have met with spectacular successes in India and abroad. He is gifted with the remarkable ability to sense the pulse and mood of his audiences, and has toured extensively both in India and abroad, significantly in East Africa, Nepal, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, France, the United States, and West Germany. In 1985, he performed to great acclaim under the auspices of the Festival of India in the United States.
Pandit Jog was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1982. After prolonged illness Pandit Jog died on Jan 31, 2004. Some of his famous disciples are Mr. Pallab Bandyopadhayay, Mr. Utpal Chakrabarty, Mr Subal Biswas and so on.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Poorvi Dhun - V.G.Jog" on
- 47:30 Marathi Concert - Prabhakar Jog in Ganara Vhayolin - Part 1by Rajshri Marathi Featured 14,824
- 35:51 BISMILLAH KHAN ON THE RKB SHOW: I'VE WORSHIPPED SHIVA OUTSIDE THE TEMPLEby RAJIV BAJAJ42,058 views
- 9:35 Raag Yaman 5. Dr.L.Subramaniam and Pandit V.G.Jogby Musique4ever8,165 views
- 8:58 Raag Yaman 1 (Alap) Dr.L.Subramaniam/ Pandit V.G.Jogby Musique4ever21,861 views
- 3:47 Yehudi Menuhin on Violin, Ravi Shankar on Sitar contemporary instrumental Ustad Allah Rakha tablaby Murad VintageSense.com Lyallpuri69,138 views
- 12:20 Raag JHINJHOTI jugalbandi of Ghyan Prakash Ghosh & V G Jog Sitarkhani Taal xvidby Abhisek Basu2,091 views
- 7:40 Dhun Kahrwa - Bismillah Khan & V G Jogby DeepZKarz12,251 views
- 19:37 PART 1\4_USTAD AMJAD ALI KHAN and Pandit V G Jogby sarodmusic20101,178 views
- 190 videos Play all Violinby musicindian
- 7:25 Ustad Zakir Hussain & Pandit VG Jog- Raga Jogby kjaan36,396 views
- 22:47 Ustad Bismillah Khan & V G Jog - Raga Jaijaiwanti - Teen Taalby arbitblogger174,686 views
- 9:54 Raga Kirwani on violin by Amitava Senby Amitava Sen10,062 views
- 13:37 Art Talk - Kala Ramnath - Iby newsxlive10,114 views
- 8:13 Raag Yaman 3. Dr.L.Subramaniam and Pandit V.G.Jogby Musique4ever5,967 views
- 9:24 Raag Palas Kafi- Violin- Dr. Sisirkana Dhar Chowdhury-Part 1by Dalbir Singh4,643 views
- 9:59 Raag Jog- Indian Classical Violin- Raginder Singh Momi- Part 1by Dalbir Singh4,862 views
- 4:58 Raag Yaman 6. Dr.L.Subramaniam and Pandit V.G.Jogby Musique4ever4,059 views
- 53:30 Marathi Concert - Prabhakar Jog in Ganara Vhayolin - Part 2by Rajshri Marathi7,882 views
- 3:14 Ustad Vilayat Khan... Khamajby IMIRZA77711,457 views
- 9:02 Songs In Raag Bhairvai...by IMIRZA77734,503 views