Mahatma Gandhi First Television Interview (30 April 1931)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 29, 2011
This is Mahatma Gandhi's first television interview. On 30 April 1931 Gandhi gave this interview to Fox Movietone News and also met the peasants of Bardoli. This precious clipping is from the archives of Fox News Movietone.
January 26, 1930: Gandhi publishes the Declaration of Independence of India.
March 2, 1931: Gandhi warns the Viceroy of his intention to break the Salt Laws.
March 12-April 6, 1931: Gandhi leads his Salt March to the sea.
May 5, 1931: Gandhi is arrested for violating the Salt Laws; non-cooperation movements break out across India.
January 1931: British government yields to protests, releases all prisoners, invites a Congress representative to Britain for a Round Table Conference (the Congress asks Gandhi to be this representative).
Autumn 1931: Gandhi participates in the Round Table Conference in Britain.
December 28, 1931: Gandhi returns to India.
January 4, 1932: Gandhi is arrested for sedition, and held without a trial.
September 20-25, 1932: Gandhi fasts in prison to protest the treatment of untouchables.
1934-38: Gandhi avoids politics, travels in rural India.
1935: Government of India Act passes British Parliament and is implemented in India; it is the first movement toward independence.
September 1939: World War II begins, lasting until 1945.
March 22, 1942: Sir Stafford Cripps arrives in India, presenting to the Indian National Congress a proposal for Dominion status (autonomy within the British Commonwealth) after the War.
August 8, 1942: The Indian National Congress rejects the Cripps proposal, and declares it will grant its support for the British war effort only in return for independence.
August 1942: Congress leaders are arrested; Gandhi is imprisoned in the Aga Khan's palace.
February 10 to March 2, 1943: Gandhi fasts while imprisoned, to protest British rule.
February 22, 1944: Death of Kasturbai
May 6, 1944: Gandhi is released from the Aga Khan's palace.
Summer 1944: Gandhi visits Muhammed Ali Jinnah in Bombay, but is unable to work out an agreement that will keep India whole.
May 16, 1946: British Cabinet Mission publishes proposal for an Indian state, without partition; Jinnah and the Muslim League reject the proposal.
March 1947: Lord Mountbatten arrives in India and hammers out agreement for independence and partition.
August 15, 1947: Indian independence becomes official, as does the partition into two countries, India and Pakistan.
August-December 1948: India dissolves into chaos and killings, as Hindus and Muslims flee for the borders of India and Pakistan.
January 30, 1948: Gandhi is assassinated by Nathuram Vinayuk Godse, a Hindu nationalist.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:10 Prime Minister Nehru interview on Kashmirby hijaznaFeatured 54,950
- 9:07 Mahatma and Bhagatsingh.aviby Gaurav Pandit 126,685 views
- 6:25 Mahatma Gandhi's travel to Londonby ManojThansi 18,732 views
- 12:14 nathuram godse last speechby choorkut 743,299 views
- 29:13 April Fools Day on the Howdy Doody Show (April 1, 1952)by DeputyDoug829 19,380 views
- 51 videos Play all Gandhiby Theforeverlovemom
- 3:11:16 Gandhi 1982by lucky550 98,953 views
- Mahatma Gandhi 23,918 videos50
- 8:19 Why did Nathuram Godse kill Gandhi ?by raymond942 393,434 views
- 2:53 India-Pakistan Partition ( Unseen and rarest photographs )Don't miss.Great Jagjit Singhby Rajesh Tailang 71,561 views
- 55:37 Jesus in India - Beyond Belief Documentaryby WhiteMinar 278,171 views
- 24:30 This is Your Life Lou Costello (1956)by DeputyDoug829 68,153 views
- 8:38 Secret History Bloody Partition 1by HamaraTV 61,778 views
- 2:32 HINDU IN PAKISTANby juliarobeta 422,691 views
- 2:23 Dr. Ambedkar at the 1st Round Table Conference, London, 1930by Ambedkarspeech 18,030 views
- 0:55 Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose At Nehru's Funeral On 28/05/1964by LONGLIVENETAJI 76,371 views
- 6:15 Subramanian Swamy talking about Kasmir problem (हिंदी)by DrSubramanianSwamy 19,420 views
- 18:59 Jawaharlal Nehru Exposed - A True Untold Story - Rajiv Dixit (Jai Varun Giri)by Varun Giri 527,829 views
- 7:51 AgaKhan CNN Interview on MainSail Showby Amon Abdullo 9,771 views
- 10:06 Mahatma Gandhi - Pilgrim of Peace documentary Part1by Emmanuel Goldstein 25,407 views
- 6:11 Audio - Speech - Gandhi - 1931 Oct 20 - Englishby gandhiserve 12,160 views
- 12:34 Jawaharlal Nehru Exposed - Iby BharatKiAwaaz 1,172,571 views
- Loading more suggestions...