Robot Boats Rescue Mission
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 27, 2013
This is a simulation, showing possible uses for these robotic boats. The first question is, why not have the quadrotor lift the patient over the water? In the real world, that's probably the easiest solution, but here we wanted to demo the boats. Which got us thinking, would there be any real-world situation using all three robots the way we do in the video? Perhaps in an area with a no-fly zone implemented, or tunnels through mountains too high to fly over. Add any of your real-world scenarios in the comments, get creative!
A video showing how the boats work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OY3nB...
How these boats will be used:
Imagine sailing a container ship to help with cleanup at the site of a massive oil spill. Now imagine if each container were actually an autonomous robotic boat. Dumped into the ocean, the boats could link up to form an ad-hoc platform for landing a helicopter or operating a crane.
That's the aim of DARPA's Tactically Expandable Maritime Platform, and Engineering professors Vijay Kumar and Mark Yim are leading a Penn team working on the early stages of the project.
Similar to work with the GRASP Lab's quadrotors, Kumar and Yim are trying to figure out how to give swarms of robots general instructions on how and where to move. The team wants each robot to determine how to best accomplish its task without getting in the way of the other autonomous boats. The researchers have built a fleet of 100 scale model robotic boats, each about a foot-and-a-half long, and are testing them in a pool to improve the algorithms that control this collective behavior.
The boats are labeled with a visual identifier that can be read by a camera, much like a QR code. The camera system feeds location information to each boat's onboard computer, enabling them to assess where they are in relation to their fleet-mates. Operating in the open ocean with no cameras overhead, the full-size boats will use GPS for their location information.
Once deployed, the researchers only need to provide the boats with a desired final shape, and the robots do the rest.
"We give them a structure, and then each boat figures out where to go and in what sequence to go to make that structure," Yim says.
Once in place, they connect to one another via a hook-and-tether mechanism, developed by QinetiQ NA, the company that will make the full-sized boats.
Critically, each of these connections can be dynamically tightened and loosened. While the surface of the gymnasium pool where the team is testing the robots is relatively placid, the full-size boats will have to contend with stormy seas and unpredictable conditions. Individual boats need to tightly lock together to allow a vehicle to drive over them, but a totally rigid platform could be broken apart by waves.
"You need to make stiff connections to have a flat surface with no cracks," Yim says. "So we could tighten only the connections right underneath a vehicle as it's moving, for example."
DARPA envisions such a system to be used in dealing with natural and man-made disasters, or in helping deliver humanitarian aid.
For more information: http://www.upenn.edu/spotlights/robot...
Text by Evan Lerner
Video by Kurtis Sensenig
Standard YouTube License
Next in Robotics at Penn
- 1:46 Cool New Autonomous Robot - The Beginning of Skynet?by Olesen TVFeatured 395,849
- 6:28 Quads Play James Bond: The Making Ofby UnivPennsylvania 13,071 views
- 1:49 Rep Rap 3D Printing Blood Vessel Networksby UnivPennsylvania 103,253 views
- 1:50 Robots Playing Hockey at Pennby UnivPennsylvania 71,918 views
- 14:59 Boat Fails and Wins. 15 Minutes Boating, Ship Win/Fail Compilationby Mrmovieproductions 746,844 views
- Robot 312,157 videos14K
- 2:48 Free Energy Generator - даровая Бесконечная энергияby Master of disaster - crazy experiments 397,796 views
- 1:30 Real Life Mech Warrior Battle Robots Selling for 1.3 Million Dollarsby NTD Television 130,216 views
- 14 videos Play all Boats dot com Video Boat Reviewsby WhiteCapVideo1
- 31:11 One Day Builds: Adam Savage Demonstrates Weathering Tricksby Tested.com - Subscribe! 115,946 views
- 29:46 Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project #6 - Prometheusby testedcom 43,043 views
- 1:21 DARPA's Police Robotby Deus Ex Machina 126,794 views
- 4:18 LaserOrigami: laser-cutting 3d objectsby Stefanie Mueller 129,582 views
- 5:26 ULTIMATE COAST GUARD BOATSby Camo4x4s 277,984 views
- 1:53 Festo ExoHandby Festo Bionic 285,423 views
- 1:53 how not to launch a boat.by jaxon2244's channel 25,939 views
- 1:52 Robotic Bird Takes Flightby diagonaluk 217,008 views
- 2:02 Coolest guy at the boat rampby skylane227 2,082,156 views
- 7:28 Incredible video - fishing boats in rough seaby Geoff Mackley's channel 2,962,690 views
- 3:47 El mejor baile del Robot del mundo (Imperdible)by Ruben Alejandro Vega Mairan 18,381,958 views
- 2:07 Incredible Niagara River jet boatsby whirlpooljet 609,280 views