Thomas Lubanga Dyilo sentenced to 14 years of imprisonment at the International Criminal Court.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 10, 2012
Today, Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court (ICC) sentenced Thomas Lubanga Dyilo to a total period of 14 years of imprisonment.
The Chamber, composed of Judge Adrian Fulford, Judge Elizabeth Odio Benito and Judge René Blattmann, also ordered that the time from Mr Lubanga's surrender to the ICC on 16 March 2006 until today should be deducted from this sentence.
On 14 March 2012,Mr Lubanga Dyilo was found guilty of conscripting and enlisting children under the age of 15 and using them to participate in hostilities in the Ituri region in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, from 1 September 2002 to 13 August 2003 In Ituri.
The Presiding Judgeexplained that the Chamber considered the gravity of the crimes in the circumstances of this case, with regard, inter alia, to the extent of the damage caused, and in particular "the harm caused to the victims and their families, the nature of the unlawful behaviour and the means employed to execute the crime; the degree of participation of the convicted person; the degree of intent; the circumstances of manner, time and location; and the age, education, social and economic condition of the convicted person".
He highlighted that the crimes for which Mr Lubanga has been convicted, comprising the crimes of conscripting and enlisting children under the age of 15 and using them to participate actively in hostilities, are undoubtedly very serious crimes that affect the international community as a whole. The Presiding Judge added that the "vulnerability of children mean that they need to be afforded particular protection that does not apply to the general population, as recognised in various international treaties".
Judge Fulford indicated that the Chamber has, however, reflected certain other factors involving Mr Lubanga, namely his notable cooperation with the Court and his respectful attitude throughout the proceedings.
For more information on: http://www.icc-cpi.int
Standard YouTube License
- 1:32 Angelina Jolie Attends International Court's First Trialby iheartangie jolieFeatured 2,225
- 30:40 Thomas Lubanga Dyilo condamné à 14 ans de prison devant la Cour pénale internationale.by IntlCriminalCourt 1,401 views
- 34:40 ICC first verdict: The Prosecutor v. Thomas Lubanga Dyilo.by IntlCriminalCourt 5,730 views
- 25:41 ICC Prosecutor: Fatou Bensouda's solemn undertaking, 15 June 2012by IntlCriminalCourt 2,638 views
- 29:07 International Criminal Court (ICC-CPI) - Institutional Videoby IntlCriminalCourt 10,145 views
- 35:02 Jodi Arias Trial; Penalty Phase - Family Impact Statements (No sidebars)by ViolentWomenAmongUs 2,302 views
- 2:16 Daughter's Upset Father's Killer Not Sentenced To Lifeby wyfftv 3,649 views
- 33:45 Ridgway court hearingby KOMOcommunities 26,524 views
- 2:00 BREAKING; Jodi Arias found eligible for death penalty!by ViolentWomenAmongUs 1,807 views
- 19:00 RDC:NTANGANA,NKUNDA ,KAGAME, KANAMBE KABILA TOUS A LA CPI AVEC LUBANGA 1by elongaezali 13,815 views
- 7:09 Travis Alexander's Brother & Sister Deliver TearFilled Statements During Jodi Arias Death Sentencingby WeAreTheSavageNation 5,349 views
- 3:51 'In the Courtroom' programme: Lubanga case, ICC first verdict, 14 March 2012by IntlCriminalCourt 912 views
- 13:38 KRZYSZTOF LICHY - KIEROWCA POGOTOWIA UNIEWINNIONY: 11 Minut, Sąd Najwyższyby 11minutpl 3,736 views
- 2:36 Film Evidence for Using Child Soldiers by Lubangaby cinemaforpeacegala 432 views
- 13:06 Lubanga case: Press conference by ICC Prosecutor, 15 March 2012by IntlCriminalCourt 1,017 views
- 12:07 Arranged Marriages in Indiaby Naved Rangwala 109,229 views
- 55:52 (Part 1/2) Clarification of the Core Crimes - ICTY Global Legacyby ICTYtv 346 views
- 45:50 Jodi Arias Sentencing Phase. Part 1by TheTawniDilly 3,265 views
- 5:27 Criminal Court Caseby MCLDorg 2,159 views
- 13:24 Programme 'Dans la salle d'audience' le Procureur contre Thomas Lubanga 13 juin 2012by IntlCriminalCourt 709 views
- Loading more suggestions...