NOT USED *Jazz Drum Lesson* with AH: More on Mistakes JazzHeaven.com Instructionanl Video Excerpt
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 19, 2011
Go to http://JazzHeaven.com/ytahmmistake for more FREE Ari Hoenig Videos! This was an excerpt from the Ari Hoenig Jazz Drumming Lesson/Masterclass video/DVD entitled "Melodic Drumming".
Jam-packed Jazz Improvisation Lessons: 2h 20min Lesson, 60min Interview, Performances and more
Get a rare look behind the scenes of this master jazz improviser & drummer.
Click on http://JazzHeaven.com/ytahmmistake also for other killer jazz drum instructional videos with Eric Harland, Ralph Peterson, Mike Clark & Portinho.
(Plus jazz instructional videos with MANY other great jazz artists like Kenny Werner, Lee Konitz, Jean-Michel Pilc, Walt Weiskopf, Vince Herring, Jerry Bergonzi Oz Noy, Lage Lund, Gilad Hekselman, Ingrid Jensen, Geoffrey Keezer, Enrico Pieranunzi & more.)
Go to http://JazzHeaven.com/ytahmmistake to check out the madness!
Born on November 13, 1973 in Philadelphia, Ari Hoenig, was exposed at an early age to a variety of musical experiences. His father is a conductor and classical singer, his mother a violinist and pianist. Accordingly, at 4 years of
age, Ari began studying the violin and piano. He began playing drums at age twelve, and by age fourteen he was
honing his skills with other young jazz musicians at Philly clubs such as Ortlieb's Jazz Haus.
Ari attended the prestigious University of North Texas for three years, where he studied with Ed Soph while playing with the "One O'Clock" Lab Band. Wanting to be closer to New York City, in 1995 Ari transferred to William
Patterson College in northern New Jersey. He soon found himself playing for legendary Philadelphia organist
Shirley Scott and working regularly in New York City.
Shortly thereafter, Ari moved into Brooklyn and found himself playing extensively with a variety of groups, including Jean-Michel Pilc Trio, Kenny Werner Trio, Chris Potter Underground, Kurt Rosenwinkel Group, Joshua Redman
Elastic band, Jazz Mandolin Project and bands led by Wayne Krantz, Mike Stern, Richard Bona, Pat Martino, Dave
Liebman, and Bojan Z. He has also shared the stage with such artists as Herbie Hancock, Ivan Lins, Wynton Marsalis, Toots Thielemans, Dave Holland, Joe Lovano, Pat Metheny, and Gerry Mulligan.
The Ari Hoenig Quartet was formed at the end of 2002 while playing every Monday night at the New York Village
jazz club Fat Cat. The band featured Jacques Schwarz-Bart on tenor sax, Jean Michel Pilc on piano, and Matt
Penman on bass. They released two records on the Smalls Records label: "The Painter" (2004) and the DVD "Kinetic
In 2006 Ari signed a multi record deal with Dreyfus Records and released his "Inversations which features the trio of Jean Michel Pilc and Johannes Weidenmueller. "Bert's Playground"
(2008), Ari's second record for Dreyfus, features Ari's Punk Bop Band joined by Chris Potter. Highlights of this
record include Chris's solo on Moments Notice. Jonathan Kreisberg, Matt Penman, Will Vinson, Gilad Hekselman and Orlando le Fleming also represent on this one.
The next record project was for "Smalls Live" a record label set up in 2009 to document some of the music being
performed at the "Smalls Jazz Club" in New York where Ari has had a residency since 2003. Ari chose his Punk Bop
Band to make this live record "Punk Bop Live at Smalls". It features Will Vinson on alto, Jonathan
Kreisberg on guitar and fellow Jazz Mandolin Project alumni, Danton Boller on bass. Tigran Hamasyan is a special
guest on 4 tracks as well.
Ari's Quartet with Tigran Hamasyan, Gilad Hekselman, Orlando le Fleming and Chris Tordini released "Lines of
Oppression" (2011) on the Naïve label. This record represents a culmination of Ari's bandleading, composing and
Currently Ari leads three groups which both play his original music. Besides the Ari Hoenig Quartet and "Punk
Bop" Ari also leads the Ari Hoenig Trio with Jonathan or Gilad covering guitar duties and with Matt Penman or
Orlando plucking on the bass. He also co-leads a variety of projects including Pilc, Moutin, Hoenig ("the three
headed monster"), Oscillations Quartet and various duo's with Chris Potter, Edmar Casteneda or Dan Weiss.
As an educator, Ari teaches privately and is on faculty at New York University at the New School for Social Research
in New York. He gives clinics and lectures at music schools and universities worldwide, and writes a regular educational column for Modern Drummer magazine. In collaboration with bassist Johannes Weidenmueller, Ari has
released "Intro to Polyrhythms, Expanding and Contracting Time within Form Vol 1". (Mel Bay 2009)
He has also recently released "Systems Book 1, Drumming Technique and Melodic Jazz Independence" (Alfred
Publishing 2011) and educational DVD"Melodic Drumming" (2011) on jazzheaven.com. "The Ari Hoenig
Songbook" (a book with the lead sheets of all of Ari's compositions (not just the easy ones) is available for download at lulu.com)
Standard YouTube License
- 4:38 Kenny Werner Effortless Mastery of Melody, Harmony & Rhythm JAZZHEAVEN.COM Instructional Video Introby jazzheavendotcom4,354 views
- 2:16 Kenny Werner on meeting Bill Evans - What he PRACTICED... How to Play Jazz Lessonby jazzheavendotcom2,791 views
- 7:53 Eric Harland performs at Berkleeby Steven Chen45,782 views
- 7:54 Jazz Rhythm Section 101: Uptempo Swingby Vic Firth9,693 views
- 7:12 *Eric Harland Drum Solo* Mhh, Yummy! *Jazz Drum Solo* from JazzHeaven.com Drum Instructional Videoby jazzheavendotcom83,523 views
- 8:41 Jazz Drum Solo Phrasing Series - Lesson #1 with Colin Baileyby JohnX Drum Lessons97,864 views
- 3:52 Ari Hoenig "Jazz Drum Lesson" Soloing Over a Form JazzHeaven.com Instructional Video Excerptby jazzheavendotcom12,260 views
- 6:07 *Uptempo Jazz Ride* Cymbal Technique Lesson - *Playing Fast* with Drum Master Ralph Petersonby jazzheavendotcom110,555 views
- 5:58 Drum Lesson: Jazz Drummingby DrumLessonLand23,405 views
- 4:59 Drum Lesson: Jazz Independence using the Drori Exerciseby Mark Letalien20,425 views
- 4:07 *Jazz Drum Lesson* Eric Harland JazzHeaven.com Video: When in doubt Keep Timeby jazzheavendotcom32,241 views
- 6:44 Drum Lesson: Hot Jazz Lick, Fierce Fives!by Tim Metz51,226 views
- 4:08 Jazz Drum Lesson - Advanced Left Foot Flavorby Mike Levitsky1,743 views
- 14:40 Beginners Jazz Drum Lessons - Lesson 1 With Matt Murphy - iDrum Magazineby idrummag9,945 views
- 5:04 Drum Lesson: Basic Jazz Soloingby Tim Metz51,851 views
- 9:30 Skip Hadden (weather report) - Drum lesson how to play jazz broken time | The DrumHouseby The DrumHouse2,462 views
- 8:43 Jazz fill using paradiddle-diddle sticking - JAZZ FILL DRUM LESSON with John Xby JohnX Drum Lessons252,896 views
- 9:07 4 Bar Jazz Fills - JAZZ DRUM LESSON with John Xby JohnX Drum Lessons1,682 views
- 4:01 Jazz Coordination Drum Lessonby School of Music Online110,342 views
- 5:56 Jazz Comping #1 - Snare Drum Patterns - JAZZ DRUM LESSON with John Xby JohnX Drum Lessons33,749 views
- Loading more suggestions...