This video is unavailable.
Janis Ian - Between the lines (vinyl)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 19, 2011
It's spring 1975 and we're in Paris, France...At a luxurious apartment on the General Foch Avenue there's quite a lot of activity. A crew is moving furniture, electrical appliances and a load of old things to the apartment...A woman's voice is heard: "Please, be careful...oh no no no, don't put this here.."..It's a familiar voice, the voice of our friend, the Hamburg Girl. She just purchased this lovely apartment in Paris, the City of Lights and Love, leaving for the first time in her life her home in Hamburg to live alone and independent.
At noon, the crew finished the moving and now the Hamburg Girl was alone with a friend of hers, a professional photographer...Inside was still a mess but the first thing she did was to connect her Hi-Fi and the TV set. She tuned the Tv to the TF1, which was showing a horse race...not very interesting... "OK, let's listen to some music and then lets go for a walk outside..The weather is lovely and Paris is wonderful this time of the year" said the Hamburg Girl to her friend. She picked from a stack of records one of Janis Ian with her recent great hit "Between the Lines"..The song started playing.."Isn't it beautiful?.. You know I've just come back from the States, where I recorded my first U.S. album and there I was introduced to her and her music...I'll cover this song for my upcoming album". "Oh, that's great..." said the photographer...After the song finished thy went for their walk...They went to various Paris sight seeings, they enjoyed a nice cup of coffee at Cartier Latin area and encountered a group of Gypsy women...The Hamburg Girl offered her hand palm to one of them to foretell her future, while the photographer was snapping all the time photos...At evening they returned exhausted to the apartment aftr their long walk...The Hamburg Girl turned on the TV and sat on her sofa...The French TV News program was showing a report from her distant homeland: The trial of the former dictators. "Oh, I know all these people...I met them a few years ago, when I was there for a concert...especially I remember this shorty with the moustache and the funny voice...oh and that bold guy ...I know what they've done to my country, ...a week before they did the coup d'etat, I was at Vienna at the Eurovision Song Contest......I hope the situation now is better for my country, especially this difficult moment..."...
That moment the telephone rang.."Oh they've already connected it"...She rushed to the phone and answered the call.."Alo?...Oh it's you...Oh my God, how did you know that number...Yes I want so much to see you"....."I know that curiosity killed the cat, but who was on the phone?" asked the photographer...The Hamburg Girl, whose face was lighted by a sudden light of happiness, just gave him a sly smile "I can't tell you now...it's my little sweet secret..."
The song Hamburg Girl covered is that we listening to now, the "Between the lines", written and performed by the American singer/songwriter Janis Ian. It was a big hit in 1975, included in her same titled album of that year (Cat. No. Columbia PC 33394).
The equipment used for the transfer is the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable fitted with an Ortofon OM20 cartirdge/stylus, aligned according to the Baerwald method with a protractor, a home made phono stage using Burr Brown OPA2134 dual op-amp and WIMA polypropylene caps, carefully hand-picked for best accuracy of the RIAA curve, and the internal AC-97 soundcard of my desktop PC with Audacity as the recording software. Between line-in of the PC and the output of the phono preamp, I used a single vacuum tube home made line preamplifier. It was made with a single double-triode vintage RCA 12AU7 (ECC82) tube from the 50's and IRF610A MOSFET's.
The sound quality of the American recording and pressing is very good, with excellent balance between the high and lows and a well rendered sound stage. The vinyl condition is remarkably good, considering that was bought only for a 1,50 euros at a Second Hand records store in Athens.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Between The Lines" on
- 39:21 Steely Dan - Aja (1977) Full Albumby kritikospa14Featured 201,789
- 6:39 Janis Ian "At Seventeen"by liveviddy 223,679 views
- 4:23 Janis Ian Getting Over Youby Sam Miro 11,826 views
- 3:44 Janis Ian 'Tea And Sympathy'by tallowmanoldies 6,574 views
- 4:11 Janis ian - between the linesby ronnazur 37,789 views
- 2:55 "Photographs" ♥ by Janis Ianby 65Seasons 13,984 views
- 5:01 Janis Ian "Jesse"by Paul Mathas 250,175 views
- 43:58 Janis Ian Between The Lines ( Full Album )by mistermister668a 815 views
- 7:02 Janis Ian Jesse (Unplugged)by Joan Maute 30,119 views
- 4:41 She Must Be Beautiful ~ Janis Ianby David Gardiner 34,546 views
- 3:46 Janis Ian - Society's Child, original mono 45by PlayThemAgain 7,752 views
- 5:19 Janis Ian - Watercolorsby justdar 18,862 views
- 3:48 Some People,s Lives JANIS IANby chen539 6,437 views
- 3:15 Janis Ian - Society's Childby Condestruction 87,050 views
- 3:49 Conny vandenbos & Janis Ian - Don't leave goodnightby Johan de Leeuw 10,329 views
- 2:31 Janis Ian - In The Winterby jonnoms 2,417 views
- 5:01 This House JANIS IANby chen539 4,845 views
- 3:23 Janis Ian - When The Party's Overby AMSDconcerts 84,304 views
- 4:43 Janis Ian Lonely One 1968by Kathleen Brogan 64,922 views
- 2:51 JOY - Janis Ianby MusicLover1948 32,529 views
- Loading more suggestions...