UN Humanitarian Chief Valerie Amos on humanitarian concerns and the General Assembly
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 21, 2012
United Nations (UN) Humanitarian Chief Valerie Amos called on world leaders to stay focused on the humanitarian agenda as they prepare to gather for the General Debate next week.
This year alone, humanitarian organizations have asked for nearly US$9 billion to provide aid to more than 50 million people in 19 countries. So far, they have only received half of the funds.
Amos, who had seen for herself the humanitarian conditions in 12 crisis-affected countries since the last General Debate, said "we have a number of places where we need to keep the international community's attention focused on on-going protracted crises -- the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is one good example."
Amos, who visited the DRC in August, said "since April this year, 266,000 people have fled conflict just in one province of the country, in North Kivu. Left in their droves with very little going they don't know where."
While in the DRC, she visited communities affected by conflict and displacement in North Kivu, in the country's east. Conflict between the Congolese army and armed forces in the region had forced about 60,000 people to flee to neighbouring countries like Rwanda and Uganda since the beginning of the year.
Last month, she also visited Syria for the second time in 2012. She met with Government officials as well as aid workers from the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the UN Refugee Agency to assess the situation and push for more access to people in need.
Talking about what she had witnessed during her two-day visit, she said "I have been shocked at some of the brutalities from both sides who are engaged in this conflict and the way that civilians have been targeted."
Credit: UN OCHA
Standard YouTube License
- 1:49 UN prepares for standoff with M23by SupperWorldNewsFeatured 1,595
- 2:27 Short film of UN's Valerie Amos's visit to Myanmar (Burma) December 2012 - Rohingyaby saber5511 533 views
- 1:34:27 Sergio Vieira de Mello HBO documentary (2009)by Hugo Eleutério 2,549 views
- 1:34:04 Sergio Vieira de Mello Documentário legendadoby Tarcísio Da Guarda 1,550 views
- 1:15:03 RWANDA NON STOP MUSIC VOLUME:1 BY DJ FRANK MC JOYby dj frank mc joy frank 3,127 views
- 6:30 UN's Valerie Amos discusses aid gaps in South East Asiaby australianetworknews 204 views
- 3:35 Conseil des ministres du 21 sept présidé par JOSEPH KABILAby katanga diaspora 2,038 views
- 56:20 Sergio Vieira de Mello - A caminho de Bagdáby murilloc3 5,190 views
- 2:09 Congo North Kivu Fighting Eruptsby Nizar Abboud 488 views
- 1:27:04 Communicating about Syria - A humanitarian perspectiveby FrontlineClubLondon 409 views
- 6:46 Top 20 World's Richest Countries 2012 by GDP (nominal)by juniorpetjua 594,105 views
- 6:27 Shirley Caesar - I Feel Like Praising Himby cre8ted12 597,048 views
- 14:06 Syria News 17.1.2013, large quantity of weapons seized (missiles, anti-aircraft guns..)by Syria News 44,143 views
- 1:18:05 Sergio Vieira de Mello and the Fight to Save the Worldby NewAmericaFoundation 8,827 views
- 10:14 Baroness Valerie Amos - Hurricane Sandy: Haiti aftermath - ABC Radio National Breakfastby abcradionational 269 views
- 8:11 groupe congoO new théâtre" MON COEUR"by CONGO BRADDY 67,753 views
- 1:54 Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General and Emergency Relief Coordinatorby UN Washington 306 views
- 3:12 Rwanda Day 2012- Boston, 21 September 2012 Day 1by Paul Kagame 5,572 views
- 3:23 Samantha Power on Sergio Vieira de Melloby Julian Brookes 3,724 views
- 2:10 Baroness Amos talks to Al Jazeera on Syriaby AlJazeeraEnglish 1,077 views
- Loading more suggestions...