Harborside Health Center Press Conference 07/12/12 - 6
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 12, 2012
Watch Jason David from the show "Weed Wars" plead with the feds to stop the pressure on Harborside Health Center as medical cannabis is the only thing that has helped save his son's life at the Harborside Press Conference on July 12, 2012.
For Immediate Release:
July 11. 2012 11 AM
Thousands of Patients Threatened to Lose Safe Access
U.S. Attorney & DEA Threaten
Harborside Health Center Landlords
Property Forfeiture Filed in District Court of San Francisco
Invitation to Attend Press Conference
Oakland, California - Thursday July 12th at 9 AM - Oakland City Hall
With Appearances and Statements by Patients, Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, State Board of Equalization & City Officials, Union Officials, Arturo Sanchez, LEAP Officers, Rebecca Kaplan and Other Statewide Officials
July 12, 2012 -- Oakland, California - The federal attack on safe access for medical cannabis patients continues. Yesterday morning, taped to the front doors of the nation's model medical cannabis dispensary, Harborside Health Center in Oakland and San Jose, was an official 'Complaint for Forfeiture of Property.' The complaint is signed by U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag, Assistant U.S. Attorney Arvan Perteet, and DEA Agent David White, filed on July 6, 2012, in the District Court San Francisco Division and received by the court on Sunday, July 9. The complaint seeks forfeiture of real estate and improvements on the grounds that cannabis is being distributed on the premises, in violation of federal law.
This latest federal action to seize property flies in the face of promises made by Haag to exclusively target dispensaries less than 1000 feet from a school, and recent statements from U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, who stated that only those dispensaries out of compliance with state law would be subject to Federal enforcement actions. Harborside Health Center is neither close to a school, nor out of compliance with state law. The location at 1840 Embarcadero is more than 1000 feet from the closest school, and Harborside is widely recognized as the most legally compliant dispensary in the state, and renowned nationwide.
"Harborside has nothing to hide or be ashamed of," said Steve DeAngelo, Executive Director of Harborside Health Center. "We will contest the DOJ action openly and in public, and through all legal means at our disposal. We look forward to our day in court, and are confident that justice is on our side."
Harborside Health Center employs over 100 people, and is Oakland's second largest retail tax payer. Last year, HHC paid combined taxes in excess of $3 million, over a million dollars of which went directly to the City of Oakland. Should Harborside be forced to close: Our 100,000 patients will return to the illegal marketplace Street drug sales and law enforcement costs will both rise Over $3,000,000 in tax revenue will be destroyed Our more than 100 current employees will become jobless
"This is a policy that hurts not only those who depend on cannabis for medicine. It will destroy tax revenue, endanger patients, increase unemployment, and empower criminals. Whoever thinks this is a good idea must be smoking something a lot more powerful than cannabis," said DeAngelo.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:07:47 Harborside Health Center Press Conference July 12 2012by Courtney Harrop103 views
- 7:21 Harborside Health Center Press Conference 07/12/12by Harborside Health Center3,718 views
- 4:41 Harborside Press Conference 07/12/12by Tony Bowles508 views
- 5:59 Harborside Health Center Press Conference 07/12/12 - 5by Harborside Health Center774 views
- 1:08 Father turns to Harborside for son's medical cannabisby Steve DeAngelo1,598 views
- 5:28 Postgame Press Conferenceby fightingfalcons1593 views
- 12:53 The Real Truth About Health Conferenceby Michael Molina13 views
- 2:35 Steve DeAngelo talks about July 23d demonstration plans in Oakland, CAby Steve DeAngelo292 views
- 3:50 AD Press Call: St Philips Hospital (18-10-2012)by Alternattiva117 views
- 8:27 Health Centers Press Conference 2 26 09by RepJamesClyburn17 views
- 2:40 Health Officials Detail Smoking Complaintsby WXII 12 News99 views
- 1:16 Strike action will continue, says Assistant Medical Officers Ascn.by Newsfirst Sri Lanka30 views
- 0:49 Health Center (1)by tnninja Hung27 views
- 0:45 CH 8 FESTIVALL Press Conference - A City Becomes A Work Of Artby Brewhead113 views
- 0:34 The Law Center July 3 12by Viet Luong30 views
- 0:50 Nor Cal conference San Jose Rappersby kasama4christ54 views