Omaha NE Business Succession Planning Attorney
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 30, 2012
Omaha NE Business Succession Attorney Rod Halstead on Business Succession...
It would be an understatement to say that family businesses are the backbone of the American economy. Some 90 percent of all businesses in this country are either family-owned or family-controlled. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors, representing all sectors of our economy. From agriculture to services, technology and manufacturing, family businesses generate an estimated one-half of the U.S. Gross National Product and pay half of all wages earned in this country.
Not all family businesses are traditional small businesses either. In fact, about one-third of all businesses included in the Fortune 500 are family businesses. But not all of the family business statistics are rosy.
Family businesses tend not to outlive their founders. At any given moment, 40 percent of family businesses are in the process of transferring their ownership. Unfortunately, two-thirds of all initial transfers fail. Of the one-third that survives an initial transfer, only one-half will survive a second transfer.
Why such a dismal success rate? The reasons are as varied and unique as the businesses and business owners themselves. Nevertheless, many of the failed transfers can be traced to three causes: people, taxes and cash.
The family element in every family business can mean the difference between its success or failure during the transfer process. The retirement, disability or death of the business owner are all common events that can trigger a business transfer.
Tough questions must be asked and answered. Otherwise, a business that took decades to build can be destroyed overnight.
For example, who will run the business after you? Will it be your spouse, one of your children or a non-family member key employee? If your spouse will not run the business, will he or she still be financially dependent on it... or can you make arrangements to ensure they are financially independent of it?
What arrangements have you made for the inheritance of your children who are not active in the business? Have you in-law proofed your estate?
Thinking ahead to the second-generation transfer of your business, what provisions have you made to encourage thrift and industry among your grandchildren?
To get more information on Business Succession Planning please visit our website at...
To schedule a consultation with us on our website please visit this page and fill out the form...
Standard YouTube License
- 38:39 The Secret to Making Money by starting a small business.by Justis Chase361,950 views
- 10:55 How to Start a Business with No Moneyby Trent Dyrsmid383,518 views
- 54:32 Succession Planning - Kelly Coyle Wyngardenby PLUKtelevision826 views
- 6:06 Mark Cuban: Only Morons Start a Business on a Loanby Bloomberg147,301 views
- 1:14:09 What They Don't Teach in Business School about Entrepreneurshipby stanfordbusiness301,212 views
- 11:39 How to start a Small Business with no Money and Bad Credit?by judy jackson349,061 views
- 9:11 Ruhut vs Hotman (indonesia lawyers club)by kopi pink438,734 views
- 5:21 Lil Wayne Owns Lawyer During Legal Deposition Courtroomby speakoutnow224624,767 views
- 50:21 Succession Planning Webcast | How To Do Succession Planning in 7 Stepsby Frank Ginac1,038 views
- 13:34 How to Create a Facebook Business Page 2013by iBrand Your Business TV27,174 views
- 8:26 Succession Planning HR Strategyby McConnellHR16,747 views
- 14:06 Executive Succession Planningby PBSRG373 views
- 5:13 Business Owner Exit Planning Programby MrNniemann96 views
- 9:03 Business Owner Succession and Exit Planningby MrNniemann481 views
- 8:13 Schizophrenic Suicide (Studio 6 initial cut)by AlloyAxeman33 views
- 5:24 William Rothwell, Ph.D. - Succession Planning Basicsby Leen Zaballero1,727 views
- 3:12 Lawyer Knocked Out by Clientby southsidetokyo1,348,411 views
- 3:27 How Do Our Educational Template Videos Work?by IMSLegalMarketing62 views
- 3:38 Using the Nine Box for Succession Planning - A 3-Minute Crash Courseby wilymanager2,042 views
- 3:19 LTC Answering the Needs of the Business Communityby LTCRegion0440 views
- Loading more suggestions...