Independent Lens | We Were Here | Trailer | PBS
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 7, 2012
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/we... Premiering June 14, 2012. Check local listings: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/br...
We Were Here documents the coming of what was called the "Gay Plague" in the early 1980s. It illuminates the profound personal and community issues raised by the AIDS epidemic, as well as the broad political and social upheavals it unleashed. It offers a cathartic validation for the generation that suffered through, and responded to, the onset of AIDS. It opens a window of understanding to those who have only the vaguest notions of what transpired in those years. It provides insight into what society could, and should, offer its citizens in the way of medical care, social services, and community support.
Early in the epidemic, San Francisco's compassionate, multifaceted, and creative response to AIDS became known as "The San Francisco Model." The city's activist and progressive infrastructure that had evolved out of the 1960s combined with San Francisco's highly politicized gay community centered around the Castro Street neighborhood, and helped overcome the obstacles of a nation both homophobic and lacking in universal healthcare. In its suffering, San Francisco mirrors the experience of so many American cities during those years. In its response, The San Francisco Model remains a standard to aspire to in seeking a healthier, more just, more humane society.
It has been 30 years since AIDS descended. Like an unrelenting hurricane, the epidemic roiled San Francisco for two decades, and only began granting some reprieve with medical advancements in the late '90s. The death years of AIDS left the city ravaged and exhausted, yet, as in most of the developed world, the worst seems past. Though thousands are still living with HIV, and new infections continue at an alarming rate, the relentless suffering of the '80s and '90s has given way to a kind of calm, and, understandably, a degree of willful forgetfulness. We Were Here utilizes San Francisco's experience with AIDS to open up an overdue conversation both about the history of the epidemic, and the lessons to be learned from it.
We Were Here focuses on five individuals — all of whom lived in San Francisco prior to the epidemic. Their lives changed in unimaginable ways when their beloved city changed from a hotbed of sexual freedom and social experimentation into the epicenter of a terrible sexually transmitted plague. From their different vantage points as caregivers, activists, researchers, as friends and lovers of the afflicted, and as people with AIDS themselves, the interviewees share stories which are not only intensely personal, but which also illuminate the much larger themes of that era: the political and sexual complexities, the terrible emotional toll, and the role of women -- particularly lesbians -- in caring for and fighting for their gay brothers.
Archival imagery conveys an unusually personal and elegiac sense of San Francisco in the pre-AIDS years, and a window into the compassionate and courageous community response to the suffering and loss that followed. And it also conveys in a very visceral sense the horrors of the disease itself.
Learn more about "Independent Lens":
Watch "Independent Lens" films online:
Standard YouTube License
Next in INDEPENDENT LENS
- 3:12 TAVIS SMILEY | Buddy Guy | PBSby PBS 1,460 views
- 0:49 Independent Lens | We Were Here | Clip 2 | PBSby PBS 1,970 views
- 9:12 Independent Lens | Summer Pasture | Update | How Has Life Changed For Nomad Family | PBSby PBS 2,177 views
- 1:29:51 We Were Here (Documentary) - FULLby SweDocumentaries 1,986 views
- 53:07 Black in Latin America E03, Mexico and Peru: The Black Grandma in the Closetby Bladeboy05 126,051 views
- 1:19:40 50 Cent (Before I Self Destruct) Movieby SalazarsBoxing 6,041,840 views
- 7:58 Independent Lens | Do Asian Women Have "White Fever"? | Seeking Asian Female | Video Extra | PBSby IndependentLens 1,770 views
- 4:22 Independent Lens | What is "Yellow Fever"? | Seeking Asian Female | Video Extra | PBSby IndependentLens 773 views
- 3:05 The Vampire Diaries 4x11 - Ending Scene Stefan, Damon, Elena [HD]by Epic Fail 49,216 views
- 2:29 WE WERE HERE - Trailer - Peccadilloby peccadillopictures 24,393 views
- 7:08 Independent Lens | What about Interracial Marriage? | Seeking Asian Female | Video Extra | PBSby IndependentLens 521 views
- 2:23 Searching for Sugar Man - Official UK Trailerby OptimumReleasing 415,165 views
- 2:14 Independent Lens | Seeking Asian Female | Clip 2 | PBSby IndependentLens 6,655 views
- 2:25 We Were Here: The AIDS Years in San Franciscoby CalHumanities 1,248 views
- 2:19 Independent Lens | We Were Here | Trailer | PBSby IndependentLens 749 views
- 0:45 Clip from HIV/AIDS documentary "We Were Here" feat. clinician Eileen Glutzerby NatureMedicineVideos 467,357 views
- 6:11 US Army Drill Teamby georgejrotc 2,054,507 views
- 2:02 Independent Lens | Hell and Back Again | Clip 1 | PBSby PBS 2,218 views
- 2:26 Independent Lens | Deaf Jam | Trailer | PBSby PBS 16,136 views