Is your car real or rogue? featuring Quentin Willson
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 26, 2009
Over half of all car buyers are taking risks trying to save money during the credit crunch and they could pay the price.
Research commissioned by motors.co.uk has revealed that over half of all car owners (55 per cent) said they've reduced their budget due to the recession, with one in four (28 per cent) willing to buy from an unknown private seller and one in ten (10 per cent) prepared to opt for a car without service history - if the price is right. Two per cent said they would even pay for a vehicle over the phone without having seen it to save cash.
More worryingly the survey also revealed that 60 per cent of drivers dont know how to check a car is safe and legal with 50 per cent at a loss when it comes to log books, 48 per cent in a muddle over mileage checks and 61 per cent in a spin over the VIN.
All of this makes it far easier for rogue sellers to offload stolen cars onto an unwitting buyer. Approximately 19,000 stolen cars with a collective value of around £90m are illegally offered for sale each year and that's set to get worse as the recession bites harder.
In response to this motors.co.uk have launched the Real or Rogue safe buying guide to steer drivers through the crunch and away from dodgy deals
Available from motors.co.uk and with crime prevention advice from the Metropolitan Polices Vehicle Crime Unit, the guide tells buyers everything they need know to sort the duds from the diamonds, including how to check the history of a car, the questions to ask when buying, things to look out for on the vehicle itself and safe payment methods.
Quentin Willson, one of the UKs leading consumer motoring authorities said: "Consumers need a simple clear guide to protect themselves from growing levels of car fraud. Because of the current state of the economy used car prices have hit record lows and there are some fantastic bargains to be had from legitimate sellers. But the current financial climate means buyers are cutting corners and too many arent bothering to do the essential checks. If a deal looks too good to be true it usually is and taking silly risks could cost you thousands."
In this video Quentin has some more good advice for anyone who want to make sure their latest buy will be real and not a rogue.
For a copy of the free buyers guide go to www.motors.co.uk.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:01 Is your car real or rogue? featuring Quentin Willsonby RadioLynxContent8,816 views
- 3:50 How red meat can help the diets of the middle aged & olderby RadioLynxContent964 views
- 2:39 The UK's first hair transplant - by robotby RadioLynxContent11,133 views
- 2:40 'I Own Britain's Best Home' star Michael Holmes shows how to make your spare rooms pay!by RadioLynxContent2,088 views
- 31:39 Would you know if your car was stolen property?by StudioTalk.TV1,320 views
- 7:19 Old Top Gear Replica'sby ysivyboi1103,707 views
- 5:00 Top 5 Used Cars - Fifth Gearby Fifth Gear32,029 views
- 8:22 Old Top Gear Quentin Willson MGB buying guideby Wayne Sloman12,532 views
- 43:18 Fifth Gear S23E09by ATE TruckRacing3,295 views
- 7:40 Old Top Gear Daewooby ysivyboi119,372 views
- 5:35 NSU Ro80 Featured on Top Gear 1994by djphilmanns90,085 views
- 37:06 Car & Vehicle Win / Fail Compilationby priceman14110,391,480 views
- 5:21 TopGear SAAB Rally Carsby furzan rao115,049 views
- 18:31 The Cars The Star on the VW BUS Quentin Wilsonby karlsillett4,834 views
- 10:00 Britain's Worst Driver 2002 - Kay Brownby TJHofNZ55,324 views
- 10:04 1991 Old Top Gear - Car Auctionsby Vanquisher1914,101 views
- 4:39 Old Top Gear Rover P5Bby ysivyboi144,694 views
- 2:35 Quentin Willson talks about the Warrantywise used car warrantyby WerdnaWhittaker6,754 views
- 5:18 Fifth Gear Se16Ep01 - Driving an Old Bangerby UKFifthGear12,022 views
- 5:37 Old Top Gear What Cars Not To Buyby ysivyboi1368,940 views
- Loading more suggestions...