MaximsNewsNetwork: U.N. ECONOMIC & SOCIAL COUNCIL: BAN KI-MOON, GEENA DAVIS (UNTV)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 28, 2010
MaximsNewsNetwork: 28 June 2010 - UNTV: United Nations, New York - The annual high-level segment of the United Nations (UN) Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) opened today (28 June) with speakers, including UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Academy Award-winning actress and women's rights advocate Geena Davis, calling for women and girls to be placed at the centre of the global struggle to achieve the social and economic targets known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Referring to the eight goals that world leaders have agreed to try to realize before their 2015 deadline, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, told the meeting that "until women and girls are liberated from poverty and injustice, all our goals -- peace, security, sustainable development -- stand in jeopardy."
Ban noted that this year is the 15th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, and the 10th anniversary of Security Council resolution 1325 on women and peace and security. The Declaration and Platform remain the most comprehensive global policy framework to achieve the goals of gender equality, development and peace.
The Secretary-General spoke about the creation of a new agency, UN Women, which he said "will mark a significant advance towards further strengthening our capacity to work with Member States to coherently meet the needs of women and girls."
The General Assembly approved the Secretary-General's plan for a new consolidated agency to deal with women's issues last year, but talks on getting it off the ground have stalled.
Academy Award-winning actress and activist Geena Davis, spoke to the gathering and said that it will be "critical" to engage Governments, the United Nations, and civil society "if we are to end violence against women and girls and promote their economic empowerment."
At a later press conference Davis, who is the founder of the non-profit organization, the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, said that "devaluing and disempowering" portrayal of women in media that children consume, "sets the table and acculturates yet another generation of children into seeing women and girls as of a lesser status than boys and men."
In addition to the annual ministerial review, the high-level segment of the ECOSOC substantive session will include the Development Cooperation Forum, that aims to strengthen global partnerships for development.
The declaration will serve as a component to this September's high-level summit convened by Ban to try to urge world leaders to accelerate progress towards the MDGs ahead of 2015.
..... ( UNITED NATIONS TELEVISION: UNTV ) ....
News Network for the United Nations and the International Community.
"GIVING POWER & RESONANCE TO THE VOICE OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY" ........
Standard YouTube License
- 1:50:06 The Impending Collapse of the World Economy (Full Documentary)by MyDogAndAll100,727 views
- 26:00 WHY TEXAS WILL SURVIVE THE COLLAPSE OF THE WORLD ECONOMY.by marty lamb20,987 views
- 12:00 Presidente de Colombia desacata Fallo de La Hayaby Confidencial334 views
- 56:01 UN Secretary-General Keynote: "The Imperative for a New Multilateralism"by UChannel520 views
- 1:29:59 The World Economy: What Now?by ColumbiaBusiness5,199 views
- 23:59 Global Economic Shocks Coming in 2014 - Jim Rogersby Knowledgeandculturtv33,450 views
- 1:06:36 Juan Manuel Santos, President of Colombia, speaks at The National Press Club - Dec. 3, 2013by The National Press Club193 views
- 7:04 ECOSOC plan for 2010by unitednations1,287 views
- 50 videos Play all Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)by unitednations
- 46:14 2012 Election of the President of the ECOSOC and other members of the Bureauby unitednations598 views
- 6:30 Interview with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santosby TIME3,053 views
- 5:19 Nelson Mandela at the United Nationsby unitednations81,088 views
- 1:00:21 World Leaders Forum: Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nationsby columbiauniversity4,031 views
- 24:51 Intervención del Presidente Juan Manuel Santos en la Asamblea General de las Naciones Unidasby Presidencia de la República - Colombia2,544 views
- 7:58 Ending Violence Against Women and Girls and the Economic Empowerment of Womenby unitednations841 views
- 1:20 Suu Kyi to address in UN General Assemblyby Green Wood263 views
- 1:07:24 Colombian President Urges U.S. to Look Southby Brown University7,139 views
- 2:05 Niña sorprende al presidente de Colombiaby Oscar Frisneda347 views
- 23:59 Jim Rogers: Global economic shocks coming in 2013-2014by RT135,754 views
- 8:28 Kofi Annan's Speech to Mark International Human Rights Dayby gracehchoi9,064 views