Mysterious Underwater Crop Circles Discovered by Yoji Ookata Off the Coast of Japan
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 20, 2012
Watch this Fish in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-K_p...
Yoji Ookata who obtained his scuba license at the age of 21 and has since spent the last 50 years exploring and documenting his discoveries off the coast of Japan. Recently while on a dive near Amami Oshima at the southern tip of the country, Ookata spotted something he had never encountered before: rippling geometric sand patterns nearly six feet in diameter almost 80 feet below sea level. He soon returned with colleagues and a television crew from the nature program NHK to document the origins what he dubbed the "mystery circle."
Underwater cameras showed that the artist was a small puffer fish who, using only his flapping fin, tirelessly worked day and night to carve the circular ridges. The unlikely artist -- best known in Japan as a delicacy, albeit a potentially poisonous one -- even takes small shells, cracks them, and lines the inner grooves of his sculpture as if decorating his piece. Further observation revealed that this "mysterious circle" was not just there to make the ocean floor look pretty. Attracted by the grooves and ridges, female puffer fish would find their way along the dark seabed to the male puffer fish where they would mate and lay eggs in the center of the circle. In fact, the scientists observed that the more ridges the circle contained, the more likely it was that the female would mate with the male. The little sea shells weren't just in vain either. The observers believe that they serve as vital nutrients to the eggs as they hatch, and to the newborns.
What was fascinating was that the fish's sculpture played another role. Through experiments back at their lab, the scientists showed that the grooves and ridges of the sculpture helped neutralize currents, protecting the eggs from being tossed around and potentially exposing them to predators.
Image credits: Yoji Ookata
Standard YouTube License
- 2:02:36 Anunnaki and Ancient Hidden Technology (MUST WATCH)by michaelnew1962 Featured 522,795
- 2:07 How ordinary women can be transformed into cover girls with a touch of clever make-upby teletechnology6,667 views
- 1:01 Tata Airpod - Car that runs on Airby teletechnology219,763 views
- 1:22 Cute little girl sleeping in class while her teacher trying to wake her up from napby teletechnology33,332 views
- 0:57 Man buys $27 of bitcoin, forgets about them, finds they're now worth $886kby teletechnology787 views
- 1:54:16 Secret Space 3 The Crop Circle Conspiracyby realvworld2170,265 views
- 33:09 Thrive - Crop Circles are Clues to New Energy Technology!by AlienPeace1 - There is GOOD out there239,950 views
- 19:35 UFO+ USO Unbelievable Daylight Footage In The Seaby Dennis4706708,033 views
- 14:20 Amazing VIDEO! Nigerian Cook Survives 2 Days Under Sea in Shipwreck Air Bubbleby John Norris35,032 views
- 4:28 13 mile long Crop Circle in the Desertby goforitrandy377,770 views
- 8 videos Play all Pea (Dwarf) Pufferby ThatFishDude
- 2:38 Second Baltic Sea UFO Object Has Been Discovered!!by EyezOpenWyde371,857 views
- 22:06 2012.07.06 武田邦彦 中国の日本批判をどのように受け止めるか？by hiruyan51,730 views
- 45:12 What on Earth? Inside the Crop Circle Mystery with Suzanne Taylorby Roxy Lopez19,360 views
- 0:35 Increible ovni sale del mar!by TheRodrigo885,233,792 views
- 3:22 TOP SECRET - UFO-Drone production at crop circleby TOPSECRETFILETV133,325 views
- 1:14 Crystal Pyramid Discovered In Bermuda Triangle 2012 HDby StephenHannardADGUK3,398,193 views
- 26:03 Deserted Arctic: Mysterious sands of Russia (RT Documentary)by RT83,955 views
- 6:38 Crop Circles 2011 - Look Closerby Zennrabbit379,763 views
- 2:30 NASA and VATICAN prepare to announce the biggest LIE in human historyby NWOTruthChannel649,104 views